PG Rating: DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jessica said, during the parking garage scene, that they wanted to pull the PG 13 rating, so they changed the scene from a simple Cecil getting electricuted by Doom to Doom blowing a whole through him....

From imdb

Flamingo Kid, The (1984)
The first film to be given a PG-13 rating. It was shelved for five months, however, making _Red Dawn (1984)_ the first film to be *released* with a PG-13 rating.

TMNT came out in 1990 and it had a lot of things that were dark and serious for a PG movie.

*Raph gets tortured by a gang of Foot soldiers.

*Foot soldier slaps April across the face.

*Raph curses and shouts a lot.(Saying "damn" loud enough for the whole city to hear)

*Mike curses once

*The Turtles mourn the absense of their master and meditate.

*Danny pickpockets and belongs to a gang which includes 13 year olds who smoke cigarettes.

*Leo lands a slice on Shredder's arm.

*Tatsu takes anger out on clan member and makes his nose bleed.

*Shredder back-fists Splinter's face and threatens to kill him.

*Mike actually gets to use nunchucks (he does not have any in part 2 or 3, what a disgrace!)

*A foot soldier is electricuted, with steam rising from his body. This causes a fire, a bad one too.

*The famous Raphael scream when Splinter disapeared

*They actually show Tang Shen dead, and Hamato Yoshi with the fatal katana wound

*When Splinter attacks Oroko Saki and he throws him you can see blood on his face

*Street kids and misguided youth are seduced into a life of crime with promises of having fun and the ability to do what they want.

*Shredder is "killed" when he falls from a rooftop and lands into a dumptruck where Casey "accidently" pulls the lever, crushing him.

So in retrospect it's surprising that this movie got a PG rating.

I find it so hard to believe that people are refusing to actually see a movie because of its rating? What is that all about? Would you rather it was an 18 with The Thing going around saying "Its clobbering time muthaeffer"
Or is it people want more sex scenes or violence?

Fantastic Four is a light hearted family franchise now - so yeah it deseves its PG rating. If people dont want to sit in the same audience as those who watched Shrek3 dont go to the Saturday matinee - go to a late showing.

A rating doesnt make a good movie, its the acting, plot, script etc. Im not saying that FF:ROTSS has all these but we will will know soon enough

I'm not boycotting the movie.......I'm boycotting this thread.......

adios...

I can't believe the rating is STILL being debated.
Have Fun!

lol...I chimed in because its a highly innaccurate post:woot:

fat chick sez I'm right

Is there anyone else that still thinks this warrants discussion some 20-plus pages later? Because if not, we can close this. The PG-rating is official, so there's no longer a need for guessing and speculation.

I say keep it open. Others may like to discuss it more (though I am done).

I find it so hard to believe that people are refusing to actually see a movie because of its rating? What is that all about? Would you rather it was an 18 with The Thing going around saying "Its clobbering time muthaeffer"
Or is it people want more sex scenes or violence?

Fantastic Four is a light hearted family franchise now - so yeah it deseves its PG rating. If people dont want to sit in the same audience as those who watched Shrek3 dont go to the Saturday matinee - go to a late showing.

A rating doesnt make a good movie, its the acting, plot, script etc. Im not saying that FF:ROTSS has all these but we will will know soon enough

Well said, Zeptron. I've yet to see any of the true blue FF fans I know on these boards take a position against this rating except maybe Lightning Strykez. And with the exception of his post and very few others, I find the rantings of all the anti-PG13 camp rather juvenile, ironically enough.
I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with the FF having a PG rating. For crying out loud, if the material was being adapted 100% faithfully (as many would have it) the films would barely be classified beyond a "G!"

It's not dark and gritty and nihilistic. It's the Fantastic Four, and the Fantastic Four is simply a different animal from most other superhero franchises. Sorry, angst-fans, but other than Ben Grimm's poignant dilemma, there ain't much darkness to be found in the comics. except for the menaces they face.

I mean, Jesus; anybody calling for the scene of
the general's evisceration
to be graphic and gory can't have an even rudimentary understanding of what makes the Fantastic Four work, in my opinion.
I couldn't believe what I was reading.

You guys enjoy your PG vs PG13 debate. :whatever:
My brain is needed elsewhere.

Could'nt you consider alot of the Fantastic four comics as PG? I mean I don't see what the big deal is.

Is there anyone else that still thinks this warrants discussion some 20-plus pages later? Because if not, we can close this. The PG-rating is official, so there's no longer a need for guessing and speculation.

Pretty please.

Could'nt you consider alot of the Fantastic four comics as PG? I mean I don't see what the big deal is.

Big difference between a comic book and a movie.

I find it alot better when the movie is more realistic than the comic...cussing and stuff...

I'm not asking for a dark rated R film, it's just better when the movie has more real elements and heavier fighting etc.

Spider-Man was a pretty light comic, they have their darker series, and it's the same with Fantastic Four.

Spider-Man movies are PG-13 and those are on the top 10 highest grossing films of all time (except Spider-Man 3, it's like #20 or something).

No reason why they can't do it with Fantastic Four. PG-13 doesn't stop kids from coming, but invites more teens too. Teens aren't big on PG action films. Hopefully this movie's different.

Well said, Zeptron. I've yet to see any of the true blue FF fans I know on these boards take a position against this rating except maybe Lightning Strykez.

Actually, I'm not "against" it at all. For the subject matter that is FF, it's actually quite appropriate.

However, I also want this movie to succeed. Considering the critical and fan bashing of the first film I'd say a LOT is riding on this movie being a bit. That said, I know the mentality of many moviegoers, and my concern is that this rating combined with the shortened runtime may discourage jaded summer audiences. I mean, we have to admit, some people will assume that this rating equates a loss of cool factor--whether such assumptions are fair or not.

And it is people's perceptions of a product that influences them on whether to buy it, or leave it alone on the shelf (or in this case, the theatre).

I think extreme geeks and fans of the comics will definitely go regardless of the rating, as Sky Captain, while it bombed, was viewed by many a teen and young adult when I saw it in the theatre. PG does turn some off, but I think most people are familiar enough with the characters from the first movie enough to give them a go.

Something else: People may see the PG rating and assume it's a family comedy, not a summer blockbuster action movie...

Hopefully that doesn't happen.:down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"