Should the MPAA make a "PG-15" rating?

Timstuff

Avenger
Joined
Jul 26, 2004
Messages
19,914
Reaction score
2
Points
31
I've been thinking for a while now, it would make a lot of sense if the MPAA came out with a "PG-15" rating. Many parents are complaining that there is too much sexual content and language in PG-13 movies to be appropriate for 13 year olds, and many directors are frustrated about how hard it is to depict certain levels of violence without barely crossing into the R-Rating. So why not make an intermediate "PG-15" rating? Concerned parents wouldn't have to worry about there being too much sex PG-13 films, and directors wouldn't have to worry as much about a movie being just barely too violent to not be restricted from minors. It seems like a win-win situation to me.
 
I'm not insulting your idea so much our culture when I say what I'm about to say. It's pretty ridiculous when we have been brough to this point. There's definately a change in maturity between the age of 13 and 17, but come on... Pg-15? Parents need to stop *****ing and teach there kids right.
 
i think pg-16 would be better. i always thought it was crazy that you could drive a car before you can get into a movie where the word f**k is used more than once.
 
There are PG-13 movies with more than one F-word. It's frequent use of the word that gets an R rating.
 
There are some things wrong with the movie industry.

Ratings are not one of them, even though people who lack the ability to read the ratings and the reasons for the rating think so.
 
Timstuff said:
There are PG-13 movies with more than one F-word.

there have been exceptions made from time to time based on special circumstances...but its a generally accepted truth in the film industry that if you use the word f**k once (given its used in a non-sexual way), the movie is automatically pg-13....but use it twice, and its R.
 
I think the big problem is that you can have some PG-13 movies (ala Spider-Man or Batman) that a five-year-old could watch easily, then you have others that are, y'know, horror movies (albeit tame and crappy ones).

If anything, I'd probably just let the more tame PG-13-rated movies like Spider-Man start slipping into the PG category, and let the hasher - yet not R-rated - movies stay at PG-13 (you can rename it 15 or 16 or something, I really don't care:o).
 
you could have as many rateings as you want and it wouldn't matter because people would still complain about it being too this or too that. oh and movies don't have to be rated theres not law that says they have to be rated or you can't see them. but the threaters won't show them if they arn't rated.
 
well, wasnt PG13 created because of spielberg? or was it batman 89 that called for a new rating? Personally I think the british system works out a little better, Uc *for young kids -adults will be bored U *universal* PG *parental guidance advised* 12 *for 12 and over* 15 *15 and over* 18 *18 and over* Restricted 18 *sexy sex explosion*
 
I agree with jimmylace, THAT'S the system the MPAA should be using. It definetly beats their current system.

Movies that should NOT have been PG-13:

-the Austin Powers trilogy

-Alien VS Predator

-Scary Movie 3 and 4

-Dark Water

-The Skeleton Key

-Be Cool

-Daredevil

-Elektra

-Jersey Girl

-The Ring 1 and 2

-The Grudge

-S.W.A.T.

-The Mummy movies

-Van Helsing

-Blade: Trinity
 
the uk film ratings are im my opinion the ones thats work best

Uc (Universal Children) Suitable for all but especially for young children (video only).
U (Universal) Suitable for all.
PG All ages admitted, but Parental Guidance is recommended. It is the board's policy that movies rated "PG" should not disturb a child of about 8 years of age or older; however, "parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset young or more sensitive children."
12A/12 No one under 12 years of age may see a "12A" film (unless accompanied by an adult) in a cinema or rent or buy a "12" video.
15 No one under 15 years of age may see a "15" film or rent or buy a "15" video.
18 Suitable only for adults. No one under 18 years of age may see an "18" film or rent or buy an "18" video.
R18 To be supplied only in licensed sex shops or cinemas to adults of not less than 18 years of age.
 
the_ultimate_evil said:
the uk film ratings are im my opinion the ones thats work best

Uc (Universal Children) Suitable for all but especially for young children (video only).
U (Universal) Suitable for all.
PG All ages admitted, but Parental Guidance is recommended. It is the board's policy that movies rated "PG" should not disturb a child of about 8 years of age or older; however, "parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset young or more sensitive children."
12A/12 No one under 12 years of age may see a "12A" film (unless accompanied by an adult) in a cinema or rent or buy a "12" video.
15 No one under 15 years of age may see a "15" film or rent or buy a "15" video.
18 Suitable only for adults. No one under 18 years of age may see an "18" film or rent or buy an "18" video.
R18 To be supplied only in licensed sex shops or cinemas to adults of not less than 18 years of age.

Yeah, that is a good system... The jump from 13 to 18 is considerable enough to add in a rating somewhere in the middle... a PG-15 would a good idea. I think a film like Batman Begins would have benifited from a PG-15 rating. It could have been a bit more edgy, just above the 13 level but not going all they way R... I would definatley get behind this.
 
Timstuff said:
Many parents are complaining that there is too much sexual content and language in PG-13 movies to be appropriate for 13 year olds

They can go f**k themselves. :down
 
Master Chief said:
They can go f**k themselves. :down

Clearly they are right...where did you learn that naughty word?:)
 
Master Chief said:

I suggest we rate the schools too. Any ideas?
 
Yeah. Any foul word, immediate expulsion and blacklisted forever so the child will grow up to be a hobo if not born into a rich family.
 
The thing is, most "kids" who go to see PG-13 movies have the same mind and attitude as Master Chief, and therefore could care less about the sexual content and language in the film.

Which ismostly tongue-in-cheek, since serious sexual content would turn that movie into an R.
 
The only reason I couldn't care less about language and sexual content and violence in movies is I've been mature enough to deal with that stuff since I was nine. I'm a pretty responsible kid, so pretty much my parents don't care what I'm doing as long as they know what I'm doing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"