"Phantom of the Opera"...Views?

Moviefan2k4

Sidekick
Reaction score
I've seen this film (the 2004 version) a few times on DVD, and even though I've never been a huge fan of musicals, to me this was absolutely brilliant. I'd heard of the story, but I never read the book, attended the play, or saw any filmed version of it before. So, I've started this thread to discuss our views, experiences, and thoughts on the film and the phenomena. So, here's a few questions to get things rolling...

• What is your favorite part of the film, and why?
  • Which character(s) do you most relate to?
  • Which song or musical sequence do you enjoy the most?
  • Overall, what do you think of the cast?
If anyone has more questions relating to the story, please don't hesitate to speak up. :yay:

What is your favorite part of the film, and why?
Which character(s) do you most relate to?
Which song or musical sequence do you enjoy the most?
Overall, what do you think of the cast?

1. I've gotta say the point where the Phantom murders the janitor and hangs his body during a production number. It really showed how psychopathic he is and how terrifying he can be.

My other, of course, has to be "Music of the night". I love that bit, its such a contrast to the above moment and so beautiful.

2. The Phantom, I even dressed as he to a costume party I went to. Something about being socially awkward yet intelligent, if you excuse my arrogance.

3. Music of the Night. "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Angel of music" are both also good to sing in the shower :oldrazz: .

4. The cast was good, Gerard Butler is always good. Emmy was good but I think she needed more to do or more info about her character. Pete Wilson in my opinion wasn't because I didn't believe in the romance with Christine and thought she should have gone for the Phantom. Plus he's a bit bland.

BTW: I'm gonna see the stage show in 32 days! I'm so excited, its my first viewing (not counting the movie)

I don't think people realize one of their fave actors at the moment was the Phantom, and the most hated comic movie director directed this.

My fave part of the film, I have two. For theater viewing, it was the transformation in the beginning. Besides that, the whole Don Juan musical part.

I kinda relate both to the Phantom and Raoul.

Fave song/musical sequence is Past the Point of No Return.

The cast was spot on. Rossum's voice did annoy me every now and then but overall it was great.:up:

I wouldn't classify Joel Schumacher as the "most hated comic movie director". I liked Batman & Robin for the most part (except for Clooney & Thurman, who just pushed everything to ridiculous levels). Regarding this film, I think he did an excellent job.

I dunno, Schumacher generates a hell of a lot of ill will. I can't think of a directer who gets more hate online, except for maybe Uwe Boll lol.

I don't think people realize one of their fave actors at the moment was the Phantom

He was in ****ing 300, didn't you know?

I've never been more annoyed by flavor of the week casting. There's a Kraven thread floating around on the Spidey boards...I think it took two posts before the "Gerard Butler for Kraven!" crap started. Jesus.

My apologies, plz continue.

At least with Butler he delivers in his movies so :o:up:
:)

I think the movie was kind of lame. Butler was a terrible Phantom. Patrick Wilson was a weak and wimpy Raoul.

I'm a big fan of the show as well.

The biggest problem I see is, that Butler is the best looking deformed person I've ever seen. He's got one little scar on the side of his face. Big deal.

When I first saw the show, and his mask is removed for the audience for the first time, he looked absolutely grotesque.

Love the movie and loved both Butler and Rossum in their roles. Favorite scene and song is All I Ask of You.

Oh! Yay, this is the best musical ever! XD
What is your favorite part of the film, and why? - Well, the starting is just amazing, but then I love the mirror part where Christine actually sees Erik for the first time and then that part following onto the next two songs. Then I love the ending when he smashes the mirror, so dramatic and sad, and I have to say that part was the only part I thought was better than the stage version.
Which character(s) do you most relate to? - Hm, I think Meg.
Which song or musical sequence do you enjoy the most? - Music of the Night!!
Overall, what do you think of the cast? - Good, didn't blow me away.
I think the stage version will always win in my books though, because I saw it on stage first and plus it's just better and the cast are excellent!

• What is your favorite part of the film, and why?
  • Which character(s) do you most relate to?
  • Which song or musical sequence do you enjoy the most?
  • Overall, what do you think of the cast?
-my favorite part of the movie has to be the "Phantom of the Opera" song when Christine is looking at the mirror, and sees the face of the Phantom reaching for her. The way it was shot in the movie was really well done, the close up on Christine's face, her expression, and the glitter around her contrasted with the Phantoms dark side. I enjoyed how the candle on the walls were "dancing" up and down, back and forth as the phantom and christine walked by to the underground lair.

-the Phantom is one of the characters i will always relate to the most. in fact i love those "monsters" and "ugly" characters who fall in love with the beautiful princess...your beauty and the beast type of stories.

-there are two more sequence which were done great. Point of No Return and Down Once More/Track Down This Murder. The point of no return was the most erotic and sensual pieces from the movie, the way Christine looked with her hair down, and with the phantoms hands all over her. the music and lyrics are great, and the whole vibe with the inferno, and the black and red colors. Down Once More, i love the lyrics for the most part, and how they used the extra cast of townspeople to sing in unison.

great movie, and i cant wait for 2008 when the musical comes to San Diego.

1. Favorite part? Tough choice...if I had to narrow it down to one specific moment, it would be when, during the song Past The Point Of No Return, Phantom's voice grows soft and he begins to sing All I Ask Of You in a sorrowful attempt at fully gaining Christine's love. And then, it fails...horribly.

2. The Phantom, for reasons stated before in this thread by others.

3. Music of the Night, hands down. But, The Phantom of the Opera itself is a rather rocking peice.:word: And, Prima Donna has a soft spot in my heart.

4. Pretty much good all around, except Butler was way too pretty. If the director had actually read the book and realized that the story wasn't all about sex appeal, maybe it would've been different.:cmad:

the director actually didn't want the Phantom to be an ugly disfigured monster as he felt it would turn the movie into a horror film. the Phantom is meant to be a sensual guy who is terribly scarred. I liked the portrayal of the Phantom, and if im ever in the mood for a darker phantom ill watch the Robert Englund version which also rules.

Honestly, the film is beautiful. But that doesn't change the fact that it is one of the worst stage to screen adaptations ever mad. Butler is wrong for the part, and it becomes quite distracting.

the director actually didn't want the Phantom to be an ugly disfigured monster as he felt it would turn the movie into a horror film. the Phantom is meant to be a sensual guy who is terribly scarred. I liked the portrayal of the Phantom, and if im ever in the mood for a darker phantom ill watch the Robert Englund version which also rules.
But, the book captures that certain fact while still providing a horrific face. I see in no way, how making him look more frightening, would make the movie instantly into a horror movie. There would still be the sensuality throughout the picture, except at the very end, when he's all kinds of ugly.:oldrazz:

Honestly, the film is beautiful. But that doesn't change the fact that it is one of the worst stage to screen adaptations ever made. Butler is wrong for the part, and it becomes quite distracting.

See I'm not that big into the stage play. I've seen it once on Broadway. It was lovely, but I really enjoyed the movie more. I thought it was perfect. My two favorite songs are 'Think Of Me' and 'The Point of No Return'.

Plus Emily Rossum is effin gorgeous.

Hmm, it's definitely far from perfection. I think it has a 33% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Spare yourself. :)

Not to say that it's wrong to like it. I mean, I love Rent and that's another bad musical.

Spare yourself. :)

Not to say that it's wrong to like it. I mean, I love Rent and that's another bad musical.

I'm sorry but I couldn't even finish it.:csad:

Yeah maybe this film wasn't 'perfect' perfect, but I enjoyed every moment. Don't let the skank Jason see this....:o:o:heart:

i saw 2min of RENT and told my teacher to please burn the dvd...

when then were forced to see 10 things i hate about you... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"