Philosophical discussions

hammy

American Ham
Reaction score
So I keep thinking of this conversation I was involved in a couple of weeks ago. When I say, 'involved,' I mean, I mostly listened. :O It was interesting to me. A woman mentioned that she can't think of anyone she knows who is happy. That shocked the rest of the group and then the conversation evolved into definitions of, 'happy.' In the end, most people admitted that they don't know many truly happy people either, they know some who are miserable, some who are going through a rough time, etc. but the best anybody could come up with was that they (or others they knew) were, 'content.'

So, where do you line up in this? Would you say you are basically happy? Do you know other people who consider themselves happy?

So I keep thinking of this conversation I was involved in a couple of weeks ago. When I say, 'involved,' I mean, I mostly listened. :O It was interesting to me. A woman mentioned that she can't think of anyone she knows who is happy. That shocked the rest of the group and then the conversation evolved into definitions of, 'happy.' In the end, most people admitted that they don't know many truly happy people either, they know some who are miserable, some who are going through a rough time, etc. but the best anybody could come up with was that they (or others they knew) were, 'content.'

So, where do you line up in this? Would you say you are basically happy? Do you know other people who consider themselves happy?

Happiness is very difficult to define, as it's a relative thing. Even defining it personally (i.e. "What makes ME happy?") is difficult.

I've found that "true" happiness is not attainable, but varying degrees of contentedness are. "True" happiness, at best, should be a just out of reach goal, not a state of mind you can actually attain.

If a person honestly considers themselves happy, then that's good enough for me. It doesn't really matter to me how they define it, but I would be interested to know, just out of curiosity.

But why should true happiness be out of reach?

How can anyone pretend that they could possibly truly know what another person is feeling? Especially when a large number of people seem to be so disconnected from their own feelings.

As for "happiness", it's not a permanent state, just like any other feeling. If life were all "happy" or all "anger" or "sadness" it would be an awful existence. Part of the natural human experience is having every flavor of emotion under the sun run the gamut through you. Not having all of them at one point or another, at least to me, would indicate that there is something wrong. Someone who is manic all the time is just as disturbing as someone who's depressed all the time, quite frankly. In the end, balancing all of these emotions and learning to appreciate and learn about yourself from them is what's all about. Some people seem to be so fixated on getting to their destination ("true" happiness) that they forget that it's really the journey that they're supposed to be enjoying. Especially when they're fixated on a destination that we never get to stay in once we arrive as it's always on to the next destination once we get bored with that one.

jag

Im Happy, that doesn't mean im conformed, but still its part of the deal, so I'm happy, I lead a happy life.

Content?

;)

Happiness is very difficult to define, as it's a relative thing. Even defining it personally (i.e. "What makes ME happy?") is difficult.

I've found that "true" happiness is not attainable, but varying degrees of contentedness are. "True" happiness, at best, should be a just out of reach goal, not a state of mind you can actually attain.

I conquer.

also, I agree.

Abaddon, get out of this thread. :cmad: :down:

You don't really have to go. :yay:
I'm a nicer person than you, apparently. :yay:

Okay. :up:

edit: you ruined it. happy now?:cmad:

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to my sig. :o

This is a stupid thread. Why? Because happiness is different for every person. There is no such thing as universal happiness.

Hmm... that's what I was saying essentially. Only you have it worded in a much better way. :csad:

This is a stupid thread. Why? Because happiness is different for every person. There is no such thing as universal happiness.

That's out of character... :huh:

i dont believe you can be happy all the time its just not probable . i have my moments of happiness and enjoy myself quite often but i also have many regrets and tend to dwell on those at times. its mainly what jaguar said and everyone is so wrapped up in tomorow they never truly enjoy today.

Does it make you happy to be a rude little pig, Matt? :huh:

jag

If a person honestly considers themselves happy, then that's good enough for me. It doesn't really matter to me how they define it, but I would be interested to know, just out of curiosity.

But why should true happiness be out of reach?

Yikes. Missed this post. Sorry casey. :O

To answer your question, I feel that a small amount of unhappiness; be it sadness, restlessness, or something else; makes life a little bit more interesting, and therefore worth living.

Okay. :up:

edit: you ruined it. happy now?:cmad:
3.gif

I read the Oh link before I found the tiny little faint print. :O

20.gif
Okay Mr. Grumpypants. (You do realize that name is generally reserved for Wilhelm?) I think you misunderstood my query. I'm not asking for a definition, just if you and those you know are happy? Maybe you can't answer about people around you, but you know if you are happy or not. Different things make different people happy. For some it's feeling loved, others a great job, others - family, etc. And I think a person can be quite happy with one aspect of their life while completely miserable with another. So anyway .. :cmad: just answer the question or kindly, scram.

I am happy when everything goes my way.

eh, happiness can only exist in moments. And that's all she wrote.

Im Happy, that doesn't mean im conformed, but still its part of the deal, so I'm happy, I lead a happy life.

Content?

;)

:yay: I'm glad to hear that. I think you're the first one to call himself happy. You aren't American, are you?

i dont believe you can be happy all the time its just not probable . i have my moments of happiness and enjoy myself quite often but i also have many regrets and tend to dwell on those at times. its mainly what jaguar said and everyone is so wrapped up in tomorow they never truly enjoy today.

I think that is so true. I heard about a book that promotes "mindfulness," being in the moment and enjoying or at least concentrating on what you're doing right now, rather than thinking of 10 different things you have to do, later.

Does it make you happy to be a rude little pig, Matt? :huh:

jag

3.gif
It's okay. We all have our bad moments.

Yikes. Missed this post. Sorry casey. :O

To answer your question, I feel that a small amount of unhappiness; be it sadness, restlessness, or something else; makes life a little bit more interesting, and therefore worth living.

Okay, thanks for explaining. That's interesting .. I thought you would say something like 'striving,' gives people purpose and hope or something like that.

:Okay, thanks for explaining. That's interesting .. I thought you would say something like 'striving,' gives people purpose and hope or something like that.

Striving! That's a great word! :up:

It's so late here, and my vocabulary is smaller when I'm tired, so my posts may not be as understandable as I'd like them to be. Now I'm wishing I used "striving". :csad:

Striving! That's a great word! :up:

It's so late here, and my vocabulary is smaller when I'm tired, so my posts may not be as understandable as I'd like them to be. Now I'm wishing I used "striving". :csad:

Haha! Well, if that's what you meant than as far as I'm concerned, that's what you said. :yay: I thought you meant something different.

Yeah, I'm happy, coz like Aristotle is like, "moderation rules and makes you happy" and it's true. :O

Moderation you say? Hmm. That's so crazy it just may work! :up:

I work very hard and see the results of that work.

This makes me very happy and content.

Back when I was focused on trying to avoid hard work... I was never happy.

It seems to be about attitude and expectation.

i'm taking a philosophy class next semester. I find it very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"