Pizza chain's "order in Spanish for free meal" promo sparks controversy

It's discrimination against people who don't speak Spanish, is what it is.

Oh sh** I know several Pizza Patrón places here. *grabs a dictionary*

but yeah, only folks that complain about this are racists. It's really a non issue any way to take it except if you hate learning other people's culture.

Haha, frankly most of us should know some basic Spanish by osmosis.

This country is starting to piss me off with how insulted everyone gets over every little ****ing thing.

No, this is deeply offensive to me, on an emotional, intellectual and political level.

This is how i feel right now...

tumblr_m2yj1d07RK1r4etbjo2_500.gif

Time to finally put my High School Sophomore year Spanish to good use.

So a Hispanic chain is running a Hispanic promotion? How scandalous. :o

What's Spanish for ":dry:"?

This isn't any different from radio stations wanting you to say a specific phrase to get a cash prize.

They aren't refusing to serve people who don't speak Spanish. They are just giving you a free pizza if you ask in Spanish. I would ask for pizza in Klingon if it would get me one for free.

hahah to all the people angry they cant get a free pizza:

"puedo por favor comer una pizza grande de la promoción"

One thing is for sure, im hitting a Pizza Patron when I see one.

This isn't that bad, it's just a fun little gimmick promotion deal

Now, when I answer the phone at work and someone asks me if I speak Spanish and I tell him no, then the son of a ***** has the nerve to say "well why not?"...go **** yourself.

I don't have any issue with this, but you know if the promotion catered to the white majority there would be an even bigger uproar. It's ridiculous either way.

I don't see a problem with this. It also brings to mind that commercial Taco Bell ran a few years ago with that small Chihuahua uttering: "Yo quiero Taco Bell".

Yo Quiero Taco Bell?

edit: just saw above post. haha (mine was suppose to be the funny, but i was beat to it) :(

This isn't any different from radio stations wanting you to say a specific phrase to get a cash prize.

They aren't refusing to serve people who don't speak Spanish. They are just giving you a free pizza if you ask in Spanish. I would ask for pizza in Klingon if it would get me one for free.

Incidentally, it is "Krak'mal gaz'ur mek'let chu." But I hope you like your pizza with live worms on top, that's all I'm saying.

Never even heard of the place, doubt there's a location nearby.

So there's the option for you to order in Spanish rather than English during a three hour window on one day, and some people have taken that to mean "Only Spanish FOREVER"? Wow. I honestly don't know how somebody could get so confused over something so simple.

Of course it's offensive. It's just another example of the discrimination faced by white middle class english speaking Christian males in America.

Just to me clear, that was sarcasm. The only people who would be offended by this are racist.

That being said, it's a terrible idea from a business standpoint. Spanish is America's second language, and because of the aforementioned racism, a lot of Spanish speakers are poor and would jump at the chance for a free meal. Which, you know, I'm okay with. If you want to give away free pizza that's wonderful. But it's going to lose the company a lot of money.

I don't have any issue with this, but you know if the promotion catered to the white majority there would be an even bigger uproar. It's ridiculous either way.

Well, most promotions do cater to the white majority. They're just more subtle about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"