How not to treat your customers

In the end Paul got what he deserved and I'm glad for it. Cool story bro :up:

Less than 9 hours. That is all it took for Dave and Gabe to burn this guy's entire company to the ground. It has probably gone too far, but this guy brought it on himself. He will now reap what he sows.

Exactly.

Though i'm seriously curious as to how he got the level of success he did, when he's clearly incredibly incompetent.

It sounds like he's rather boisterous fellow who's susceptible to (looks to be 'roid-driven) fits of rage and is some sort of independent/free agent marketing guy...and sort of toughed his way in and happened to get some clients. He probably has some qualities that helps him secure retail clients, but somehow he's had to deal with customers directly at times...maybe because of a shortage of staff...or maybe there is none. And that seems to bring out the worst in him...actually working with people/customers, and more importantly, being patient with them. Maybe he's related to someone higher up at his company...or maybe he just is that company and latches on to a sucker whenever he can.

Anyway....he acted like a chat-site keyboard warrior with a customer(s), probably thinking one or two here and there weren't big losses..but got so hyped up with it that it went too far and bit him right where it really counted. Even if he had the skills for damage control, it was too late and he ignited the wrath of the gaming community....which was a bad idea just out of sheer numbers. He probably felt he was just squash a few bugs, but now he's got the whole hive on him. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqV9kx40RG0&feature=share

:pal:

http://kotaku.com/5871479/pr-trolli...avenger-controller-maker-asks-for-forgiveness
PR Trolling "Ocean Stratagy" Out of Business, Avenger Controller Maker Asks For Forgiveness

The PR tempest in a teapot born of one misused gamer and shockingly bad customer support seems to have mostly run its course, leaving a one-man PR firm in apparent shambles and a unique video game controller accessory struggling to survive.

The issue came to a light today when emails between reader Dave and Paul Christoforo, the president of PR firm Ocean Distribution, were sent around to a number of sites including Kotaku. In them, Christoforo antagonizes, name-calls and belittles a customer after being asked by Dave why his order for an Avenger controller was delayed.

The obnoxious response gets worse once Christoforo begins name-dropping websites including Kotaku, IGN and Penny Arcade. Eventually, Christoforo seemed to go nuclear, calling out most of the sites he originally said he was pals with and name calling folks including Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulik who proceeded to ban Christoforo permanently from PAX.

As news of the exchange began to spread, gamers began to attack by Christoforo and the Avenger controller.

Earlier today we reached both N-Controller and The Hand Media, the folks who handled marketing for the controller prior to Christoforo, for comment.

Christoforo, we're told, is no longer working with N-Control. Effective today, the company is now doing all of their marketing with a new marketing manager who works directly for the company.

"We apologize for our poor representation from Ocean Marketing," David Kotkin, the owner and inventor of Avenger Controller told Kotaku. "We wanted to give Paul a chance. He was rough around the edges, but he had drive and enthusiasm. However his behavior was unprovoked, unnecessary, and unforgivable. We are no longer represented by Ocean Marketing."

Brandon Leidel, CEO and Director of Operations for The HAND Media, Inc., wasn't as kind to Christoforo and his outburst.

Leidel said that his company was initially the ones hired to market the new controller, something they did up until earlier this year. He said that The Hand Media found themselves increasingly having to deal with customer flak over delayed shipping, and that it was becoming overwhelming.

"Then Paul came in and said 'I know this guy at Gamestop. I know this guy at Best Buy," Leidel said. "They saw dollar signs and decided to start working with him. We decided to walk away from this because it was a nightmare dealing with their problems and this guy Paul."

Leidel describes Christoforo as a "rogue marketing guy" someone who operated without any rules and never checked in with The Hand Media about what he was doing.

"He was representing the company in a way I wasn't comfortable with," Leidel said. "I brought this up a few times and said I cant have this guy representing the company and not have any control."

Eventually, Leidel decided to walk away from what he called a lucrative marketing contract over Christoforo's behavior.

N-Control's new marketing manager, Eli Schwartz, spent today trying to do damage control and deal with a flood of what he believes are unwarranted negative ratings for the Avenger on Amazon.

"At this point I'm just trying to point out that, what was said was someone who we hired, what he said should not reflect on the product itself," he said. "So far the Amazon rating on the Avenger has gone from 4 and 1/2 to 1 star in around 8 hours. None of the reviews are true, they all just appeared today out of pure hate trolling."

Schwartz added via Twitter that Christoforo is now "out of business."

The real victim here appears to be The Avenger controller, a product, that while slightly over-priced, was both an interesting new way to game and a solution for some disabled gamers.

Last edited:
This guy is a complete moron. He just kept digging his grave deeper and deeper before he realized it was too deep to get out.

I've actually worked with a guy similar to this many years back when I was with a digital production company. I actually got along pretty with him okay mostly because my work was much farther down the line away from him, and he was somehow one of the company's 'partners'...trying to start up a few hokey product ideas here and there. he was rather large and intimidating...but then, so was I in my own right, so either I wasn't one of the people he tried to bully into things, or we just never got to that point. But he did result in employees leaving and eventually left himself with some legal problems and such...never to be heard from again. Kind of a person with a lot of energy but no real skills at...anything. Some people are natural salesmen through the force of their personality...but if your personality is that of an a-hole and again you have no skills...especially people-skills...things like this can happen.

Last edited:
This guy is a ****ing moron. I use proper spelling and grammar as best I can when I text my friends. This guy can't even do that when he's doing his job (emailing a customer). He doesn't even deserve to work at a McDonald's or 7-11, I get better customer service there (even at inner city ones).

I almost feel bad for the company that makes these controllers since they've been rating bombed on Amazon, but they really should have known better than to let a loose cannon handle their products. Another reason I don't feel bad for them, is they probably knew about how he was treating customers months ago. It wasn't until the co-founder of Penny Arcade got into it that they decided to cut him loose.

Last edited:
Well, the controller company dropped him quickly and have another in-house person handling marketing as well as 'image-rehab' for the product. It sounds like a relatively new company who fell for his 'connections' by name and the guy's apparent energy...but supply problems and piling customer impatience brought out his true personality, and created this bomb. I think the controller company could recover enough, as the web-press that this incident is getting is at least making an effort to point out that he was more of an independent contractor, and it shouldn't reflect completely on the product/company. It's the last thing they needed with all the backorders and supply issues, but there should be some hope to salvage this.

Less than 9 hours. That is all it took for Dave and Gabe to burn this guy's entire company to the ground. It has probably gone too far, but this guy brought it on himself. He will now reap what he sows.

Yeah...to be honest I almost feel bad for the guy. When does dealing justice become harassment? Losing his job and getting a reality check is enough, I think. But harassment from the whole Internet? I dunno. Maybe he deserves it all, maybe he doesn't.

Yeah...to be honest I almost feel bad for the guy. When does dealing justice become harassment? Losing his job and getting a reality check is enough, I think. But harassment from the whole Internet? I dunno. Maybe he deserves it all, maybe he doesn't.

Spider-who? who is the girl in your avy? She looks just like a girl I know, so much so that I think it's her lol.

No the internet harassment is too much, losing his job was enough but the problem is he brought it all on himself. If he had conducted himself professionally from the beginning and not antagonise the customer it would not have come to this. Then he had a second chance to redeem himself and then he blew it with Penny Arcade by basically saying bring it on.

Spider-who? who is the girl in your avy? She looks just like a girl I know, so much so that I think it's her lol.

I unfortunatly don't know the name of the model. But regardless of who she is, you should definitely give me your friends number.

I unfortunatly don't know the name of the model. But regardless of who she is, you should definitely give me your friends number.

Dang I wanted to see more of her, well do you have a link to the full picture?

And ummm maybe I should have put "friend" to clear things up a little hahaha

I also feel bad for the inventor of the controller that made it for a handicapped student. I don't think it's fair if his product takes a hit because of this marketing person.

I still don't think this is as bad as the guy on the Acura NSX forum who was discovered to have a sex-with-a-minor charge....

N.S.

it reminds me of that "artist" awhile back that claimed to work for all the big comic companies and with a load of writers but was just selling traced work at cons

Chastened Gaming Rep Paul Christoforo Responds to Internet Infamy

"I want to clear my name. I want to get these people to stop bothering me."

That was the main message from Ocean Marketing's Paul Christoforo, a former representative for N-Control's Avenger controller attachment. He gained immediate infamy among the Internet gaming community after a hostile customer service email exchange went viral after landing on popular gaming webcomic Penny Arcade.

In a matter of hours, Christoforo went from being just another customer service agent to a focus of ire for thousands of gamers. Christoforo was featured in mocking images and videos, and the Avenger product he was representing was hit with widespread derision and negative Amazon reviews, forcing the company to publicly drop Christoforo as its marketing representative.

A chastened Christoforo is now looking for forgiveness from the Internet community he unwittingly antagonized, saying in an interview with MSNBC.com's In-Game he was "caught on a bad day" and that he hopes they will "let sleeping dogs lie."

"They've pretty much ruined me in the past 24 hours," Christoforo said. "It was humbling a little bit, but life goes on. I'm not going to die."

That doesn't mean Christoforo isn't still feeling the effects from becoming a household name in certain corners of the Internet - effects he says he was actively dealing with for 17 hours straight yesterday. While Christoforo said blocking his Google Voice number stopped an early flood of harassing phone calls, he's received over 7,000 e-mails in the past 24 hours, some containing threats against him and his wife and two-month-old son.

"It's caused me more annoyance than anything else, but there are some threats and a lot of disrespect," he said. "My son's two months old ... that's uncalled for, you don't bring him into this situation."

Christoforo said his wife's Facebook page has been hammered by friend requests from people trying to get at him, and the shared stress of the entire ordeal has led to at least one major argument between the couple.

Yet despite all the drama, Christoforo said he hasn't lost any of his other accounts, aside from Avenger. "It hasn't affected my business yet," he said. "Clients have brought it up, but they've mainly laughed about it. I haven't lost any clients."

"If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better."

Referring to the email thread that started the whole mess, Christoforo said that he didn't know who he was talking to in his initial, flippant response to Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulik.

"I didn't know who that guy at Penny Arcade was," he admitted. "If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better. PAX is a great show. What he does is what I've been idlolizing since I was a kid. It's admirable he's put that together. He has a lot of connections, ones I want too."

Yet while admitting he handled things badly, Christoforo said he also felt the situation could have been different if Krahulik approached the situation differently.

"He called me a bully, but he was being a bully ... especially when he emailed me out of the blue, saying 'That's f***ing s***ty, you're banned from PAX,' I was like 'Who the f*** are you? That's how you introduce yourself? ... I dont want to call him out, but he could have gone about that a totally different way, he could have said, 'Hey, I run the show, that email was a little unprofessional, if you don't do something to apologize I don't want you at my show.' But he just came at me and said, indirectly, 'Hey, f*** you, you're banned from PAX.' Is that what you'd call professional? I wouldn't."

Christoforo also said his response was driven in part by what he saw as the disrespectful tone of the messages that came before it. "Not that I don't have respect for anybody, but if someone's badmouthing me or being a little punk or being a jerk, they don't deserve respect," he said. "You can't expect to go up and say 'Hey you piece of s***,' and expect respect. Send an email, introduce yourself. ... I trust everybody until they give me a reason not to respect them. I'm not a tough guy, not a bully, but at same time not going to take s*** if it's uncalled for.

Regarding the litany of names Christoforo's e-mail called up as potential supporters - a list that included everyone from Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinski to the mayor of Boston - he said the tactic was meant to "impress, not to threaten" and didn't come through correctly because "you can't see tone of voice in email."

"I don't know the mayor of Boston," he admitted. "That was taken totally out of context, I was just joking around. I am from Boston, though, and I know a lot of people people who own clubs. I know some influential people, like the guy who runs the door at the convention center.

"Maybe it was because it was email, maybe on the phone it would have been different story ... it would have nipped everything in the bud."
Looking back, Christoforo is still a little shocked that what he thought would remain a private email conversation got blown into an Internet event the way it did.

"If this didn't get escalated to Penny Arcade, it would have never gone viral like it did," he said. "Ultimately, if I was able to control the customer, it never would have happened. I've dealt with thousands and thousands of customers with similar complaints, they were all asking the same question. When is it big enough that it hits the news? When it hits Penny Arcade, when it hits a guy who has the biggest affiliations in the industry."

Moving on. Despite the harassment, Christoforo says he still respects the gaming community he says he's been a part of for decades.
"I still love the gaming community, and this is not going to change my mind," he said. "I do think these people were a little bit excessive with the spam, digging up personal information, calling me. Not to put anyone down, but I don't know what kind of lives these people have. ... Ultimately it doesn't affect the way I think about anybody. I don't have any hate or bad will for them, but it's a little bit sad that they didn't have anything better to do than attack me."

Christoforo said he's also been able to laugh at some of the funnier parodies and jokes at his expense out there, particularly a well-made video featuring an over-the-top actor playing an exaggerated version of him.
"I'm not depressed at people making fun of me," he said. "It's like a parody of Barack Obama. It's making me more popular. I'm not doing anything to stop it, and it is kind of funny. ... It's not the end of the world, and it'll be old news soon, but it's hot news now, and I do see the lighter side of it."

While Christoforo didn't completely rule out legal action against Penny Arcade and the sources of some of the more vicious Internet slander and threats, he said he probably will not actually call an attorney. That's partly because he's not sure there's a legal case to be made, but also because he doesn't want his name dragged down any further, he said.

"[Legal action] is something I'm not interested in doing because the community would be more pissed at me," he said. "Regardless of money [possibly won in a settlement], it would really ruin my name. Am I saying I care more about my reputation than money? Yes."

But Christoforo also sees some potential positives in all the negative attention he's been getting. His Twitter account, which has now changed names twice because he was "sick of the tweets and stuff coming in," has been getting a lot of new followers from the controversy, he noted, a situation that may be beneficial down the line.

"If these people stick with me and follow me, a couple months down the road anything I say is news," he said. "If it gets me somewhere else that I wouldn't have been where this happened ... it's negative now, but controversy and bad news is news and that's just the way it is. Look at all the bad press from people in entertainment industry that turned into something good. Whether I do charity work or something good, I don't know."

In the nearer term, Christoforo has entertained the idea of doing some Internet videos himself, and even considered going to PAX East, held in Boston this April, with a shirt tauntingly saying 'I'm Paul Christoforo' on it. "I'm not sure I'd actually do that, since I don't want to get in any fights," he clarified.

So what lessons has Christoforo taken from his brush with Internet infamy? "I'll definitely stay away from customer service emails," he said. "I could have nipped this all in the bud by being a little nicer. You never know who knows who, and lesson learned. We all have bad days and they caught me on one."

"At the end of the day, I'm a human being, and it feels like the entire world was bullying me," he said. "I want people to like me, I don't want people to think I'm a bad person. ... I made a mistake. ... I hope I can make something positive out of it."
Okay, again, he seems like he's sorry because of the s' storm not because he was simply wrong and I just pick up a lot backhanded apologies.

You actually want to feel bad for the guy...but he makes it so hard...by just...being himself... :oldrazz:

I stopped reading after the first two sentences.

Christoforo also said his response was driven in part by what he saw as the disrespectful tone of the messages that came before it. "Not that I don't have respect for anybody, but if someone's badmouthing me or being a little punk or being a jerk, they don't deserve respect,"

Interesting.....

Yup, basic rule of customer service, if someone calls in annoyed and mad, you just be annoyed and mad with them back. Everyone gets what they want. :o

The guy still comes off as an *******, even when "apologizing".

Last edited:
"It's caused me more annoyance than anything else, but there are some threats and a lot of disrespect," he said. "My son's two months old ... that's uncalled for, you don't bring him into this situation."

And yet, it's okay if he uses his son to insult someone.

Interesting.

Please remove me from this mailing list

I laughed so hard at that. It just seemed like they were saying 'please stop talking to me' to the guy who just won't take a hint.

Though like people have been saying it may ruin his business (who knows), but he did bring it on himself. It's completely his own making and he looks incapable of learning from the situation or backing down and admitting he was wrong. Check out this tweet.

https://twitter.com/#!/OceanStratagy/status/152136583632523264

He looks fairly unrepentant there. Although a recent post says he's talked to the guy from Penny Arcade and they're cool now. So I don't know.

Also on the point that the guy is still a human being (a very dickish one) there is a tweet asking people to stop posting his families facebook info. Which I think kinda highlights the double edged sword of internet backlash. There are crazy people who are willing to take these things too far. I think the customer, Dave, probably wouldn't even want that (he seems like a fair enough guy) and he's the one that was wronged.

It may ruin his 'business'......but honestly...the business world just might be a better place without him in it, y'know?

Was playing catch up with some of those articles I skipped first time round. I agree with KalMart, the guy does make it hard to feel any empathy for him.

I read one of the interviews where he almost seamlessly rolls from excusing his behaviour because of the tone of the customers e-mail (despite the fact the customer was very polite until provoked) then claims that his boasts about knowing very influential people weren't threats, but meant to impress and that it wasn't obvious because it's hard to get the 'tone' in his e-mail.

I mean that's like if the 'pot calling the kettle black' and 'having your cake and eating it' had a baby. By the way if there is to be name for said baby I'm calling it 'Black Kettle Cake'. :oldrazz:

The guy does seem to have real passive/aggressive streak. He seems to alternate at times between half hearted apologies and telling people to go screw themselves.

Last edited:
This whole thing was just so damn fascinating to watch play out. I've known a few people like this who have managed to "rise" up in social and business status despite being horrible in every way and yet thanks to the internet, their ******** usually catches up with them. It's always fun to see.

This almost seems like there's a movie and book deal waiting to happen here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"