4. Batman Returns (1992)
5. Batman (1989)

The Dark Knight
The Batman
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman
Batman Returns

I think The Batman can overtake The Dark Knight, but I need to see it a few more times to really cement it. The Dark Knight wasn't just a movie, but an experience. Participating in the online marketing, lurking constantly on the hype, going with friends to multiple viewings, etc. That all holds a special place in my heart. So for now, it's the top choice.

Last edited:
I'm still stewing on it, but as of now I think Rises > The Batman for me. It's close though.

The Batman makes a damn strong case for itself as a definitive depiction of Gotham and the Batman world, and just being a wonderfully crafted piece of art-- but I think Rises has something far more unique, interesting and emotionally resonant to say about the character. It is also far harder to conclude a story than to begin one, so I also take that into account when evaluating flaws. And Rises makes its main arc for Bruce SING, whereas I think The Batman gets a bit tripped up on what it's trying to do.
Overall I like Rises, but it is a lower tier Batman film for me. However, I respect certain things that Nolan was going for and I do genuinely think that Bruce’s arc is well executed and it’s easily the best thing about the movie. To take an iconic character like Batman and turn him into a suicidal man that’s completely given up on life and him having to get out of that hole or “pit” and wanting to live again is beautiful. That’s such a weighty journey for that character and I appreciate WB even allowing Nolan to take the character in that direction.

Some may crucify me for this but if TDKR is kind of like the Return of the Jedi of the Batman franchise, I kind of think The Batman may be The Force Awakens a bit.

I've been thinking about it and there are SO many familiar beats (especially from TDK in particular) in The Batman. It's the first time I ever felt a Batman movie was riffing on another Batman movie to this degree. I see it as loving homage. Not a bad thing, but it's just a feeling I get from it.
You’re the second person this week I’ve heard comparing it to Force Awakens. I listen to a Batman podcast and they just broke down all the story beats that The Batman shares with Dark Knight. It did make me like the film a little less, but it’d still be at number four in my top 5.

Prewitt building scene in TDK is one of most underrated sequences ever. Maybe my favourite Batman fight scene.
It’s one of the best for sure. I like how much of a challenge it is. Only Batman could’ve pulled that off to where there were zero casualties. It’s one of the characters most heroic moments on film imo.

You’re the second person this week I’ve heard comparing it to Force Awakens. I listen to a Batman podcast and they just broke down all the story beats that The Batman shares with Dark Knight. It did make me like the film a little less, but it’d still be at number four in my top 5.

I listen to Holy Batcast too. :cwink:

I swear though, I had the same thought before I listened to their show. Hearing Andy break it down just kind of made me feel like I wasn't crazy for making that connection.

Last edited:

I swear though, I had the same thought before I listened to their show. Hearing Andy break it down just kind of made me feel like I wasn't crazy for making that connection.

I'm listening to it now. Never heard this podcast.

But oh dear. My mind is blown. They're totally right.

I don't love this film less - but they're right. And it's another reason why I foresee this film's reception among fans taking a hit as the dust settles.

And I'm in full on love-fest-mode with this film and this take - but it's very refreshing hearing a critical discussion of the film.

Last edited:
I've had to think long and hard about this for the past week straight, but...

yeah.

upload_2022-3-11_14-30-12.png

Link to the tier list here Create a Películas de BATMAN Tier List

Also FYI, this is personal enjoyment rather than objectively how good they are strictly as movies. Objective becomes quite a different list

We Batman fans have been spoiled for the past many decades. I know we've had some rough patches, but all around, it's the only franchise that has the strongest amount of films and so many to choose from.

We have B89, BR, BB, TDK, TDKR (your mileage may vary) and now The Batman. With others, you might have one or two good movies, if they're lucky to really be special but Batman is really separate from the rest in not only they're good, but they're ****ing great movies. It's a unique legacy.
Excellently put. This character has attracted so much talent over the years. Burton, Nolan, Reeves. Heck, I'd throw Schumacher in there! It's a testament to the character, and how different he is from other comic book character. He's open to so much interpretation, and even directors that aren't fond of superhero movies have expressed interest in tackling him. Denis Villeneuve recently mentioned Batman is the only character he'd be interested in doing a film about. We are truly lucky.

I talked to a buddy of mine at work today about the film and I think I'm flipping and putting Batman Begins back to number 2. We both agreed that objectively The Batman does kinda fall somewhat flat in the third act. At least compared to the flawless first and second act.

I can't wait to see it again on Blu Ray and see how I feel then.
Initially, I had this film almost tied with Batman Begins for the #2 spot, and as much as I love the 3rd act of this movie, something about Begins hits stronger, and maybe it's just personal preference, but it's one of the reasons Begins keeps it's #2 spot for me. I think both movies have a 3rd act that suit the story while also being traditional superhero stuff, but I think Batman Begins had a more satisfying one. Then you add on that end scene with the Joker card, and it's just beautiful. A perfect balance of hints at what the fallout will be from Batmans existence/a tease at the villain, while also feeling like a great ending to the movie on it's own. The Batmans ending was emotional for me too, so I'm not trying to take anything away from it. It feels very complete in a way, which works perfect for this movie. It too has a villain tease, and I do like that scene, but the Joker card in Begins was more subtle and effective for me. You didn't even need to see him or hear his voice to get chills. As I said, all personal preference.

Now I just want to pre-order this in 4k already haha.

Last edited:

A fellow Bat-Cast listener! :D

Yeah, I didn’t catch on to the similarities but when Andy broke it down it’s undeniable.

I'm gonna have to check out that podcast. Alaskan, a YouTuber I follow, also didn't really like it much though I don't agree with a lot of his criticisms of it but it's good to get perspective.

I don't love this film less - but they're right. And it's another reason why I foresee this film's reception among fans taking a hit as the dust settles.

I don't see the reception of this film drastically changing. The main reason it's reception would take a serious hit, IMO, is if the sequels aren't good or great.

I'm gonna have to check out that podcast. Alaskan, a YouTuber I follow, also didn't really like it much though I don't agree with a lot of his criticisms of it but it's good to get perspective.
What’s the name of his YouTube channel? I’m curious to hear what he had to say.

So.....IMMA rate them based on what I liked rather than what is maybe the best movie.

BB - got me really interested in BM again after the later messes made
TDK
The Batman
Batman 89
Batman Returns
TDKR - Because it finished the trilogy

The rest I didn't really like. Didn't see and don't watch animated movies hardly ever. My daughter's love of Shrek and Lion King almost had me putting her up for adoption.

The Batman
Batman ‘89
Batman Begins
Mask of the Phantasm
The Dark Knight

Forgive me I'm going with my 10 focusing on live-action with Batman in the main role or co-lead. Today I feel...

1) Batman Begins (2005) :up::up:
2) The Dark Knight (2008) :up::up:
3) Batman Returns (1992) :up::up:
4) The Batman (2022) :up:
5) The Dark Knight Rises (2012) :up:
6) Batman (1989) :up:
7) Batman Forever (1995) :up::down
8) Justice League (2017) :down
9) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) :down
10) Batman & Robin (1997) :down:down

If including the animated movies Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) would be #4 instead and Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (1998) would be #7.

My old ranking: Rank the Bat-Films..... (2012)

I used a point system for the ultimate ranking...

1st place = 5 points each
2nd place = 4 points each
3rd place = 3 points each
4th place = 2 points each
5th place = 1 point each

Drumroll please!

1) TDK = 280 points
2) The Batman = 244 points
3) BB = 210 points

4) B89 = 82 points
5) TDKR = 70 points

6) MOTP = 65 points