• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Post-Battinson: Rank Your Top 5 Batman Movies

I'm on the exactly the same page. Don't get me wrong, I like what the film was trying to do, but I'm not sure the arc completely tracks, which would be a rather large flaw for me. I have to see it again though before I can be sure about that.

But that was my impression too. Like I'm not sure I ever got that 'moment' of realization for him. The thug saying "I'm vengeance" was good, but it's a pretty small beat. Him allowing himself to be vulnerable around Alfred and talking about the fear he felt about losing someone he cares about was nice...but I'm also not exactly sure how that all connects. I mean I guess it kind of works in a "Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day" sorta way? I'm not sure.

Was this supposed to be a movie about Bruce reckoning with the sins of his father? Or a movie about him learning the difference between vengeance and justice? If it was both, I'm not sure I quite see how those things intersected. It's possible there are layers here that went over my head on first viewing, I want to give the movie as much credit as possible because it's clear that so much talent and effort went into it. But I'm kind of sitting here unsure about some fundamentals that are preventing me from fully grasping what this movie is trying to do with the character.

The sins of the father stuff is about vengeance vs justice.

And I’d say what the film is doing with Bruce as a character is exploring his slow process of recovering from his depressed isolated state, with those small hopeful baby steps of realising he can actually have something worth living for, in Alfred, in Selina, and in knowing that his efforts make a positive impact. What Bruce does or doesn’t do doesn’t change, but his mindset and emotional state does.

Greig Fraser's work on the Batman basically ****s on Pfister's work on The Dark Knight trilogy. After this and Dune, the guy is fast approaching Roger Deakins' level of visual excellence.
I should have said "some of the shots in TDK were breathtaking". I saw it in a true IMAX theater (from about the 4th row center seat) and there were shots that made my heart feel like I was taking a really fast, glass elevator ride down to the first floor. I found myself loving the true IMAX shots and wanting more. It left an indelible impression on me, but, overall, sure, I've seen better cinematography.

I should have said "some of the shots in TDK were breathtaking". I saw it in a true IMAX theater (from about the 4th row center seat) and there were shots that made my heart feel like I was taking a really fast, glass elevator ride down to the first floor. I found myself loving the true IMAX shots and wanting more. It left an indelible impression on me, but, overall, sure, I've seen better cinematography.
No need to clarify. The Nolan films did have great cinematography and the use of IMAX cameras in dramatic films was groundbreaking and incredibly immersive.

I also saw The Dark Knight in a true IMAX theatre and the swooping zipline shot during the opening bank heist is burned into my memory as one of my greatest cinema going memories, probably something like how moviegoers felt in 1977 when that Star Destroyer rumbled into the frame.

However, this is on another level for me. Sure, Reeves and Fraser don't do anything as new or groundbreaking as using IMAX cameras, but the lighting and colours are so incredibly moody and immersive that it legitimately feels like a graphic novel brought to life.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think it's arguable the lighting in this movie matches Pfister on a pure craftsmanship level. In those days Pfister was the best DP behind Deakins. At the very least Fraser is fast approaching that ranking. Rewatching the trilogy last week, the cinematography is still astounding and has one of those timeless qualities to it with it's more naturalism than Fraser's more gritty noir look, but both work pretty great for different interpretations and reasons.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw your post above @DKDetective

Last edited:
No need to clarify. The Nolan films did have great cinematography and the use of IMAX cameras in dramatic films was groundbreaking and incredibly immersive.

I also saw The Dark Knight in a true IMAX theatre and the swooping zipline shot during the opening bank heist is burned into my memory as one of my greatest cinema going memories, probably something like how moviegoers felt in 1977 when that Star Destroyer rumbled into the frame.

However, this is on another level for me. Sure, Reeves and Fraser don't do anything as new or groundbreaking as using IMAX cameras, but the lighting and colours are so incredibly moody and immersive that it legitimately feels like a graphic novel brought to life.
I wouldn't go that far, but I do think it's arguable the lighting in this movie matches Pfister on a pure craftsmanship level. In those days Pfister was the best DP behind Deakins. At the very least Fraser is fast approaching that ranking. Rewatching the trilogy last week, the cinematography is still astounding and has one of those timeless qualities to it with it's more naturalism than Fraser's more gritty noir look, but both work pretty great for different interpretations and reasons.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw your post above @DKDetective

I wasn't denigrating the cinematography of TDK by any stretch of the imagination (although the fight sequences could have been choreographed better LOL) and I sometimes vacillate when thinking about cinematography and spectacular scenery (Lord of the Rings Trilogy comes immediately to mind). I saw "Hugo" in 3D and, to this day, I think it's one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. Gravity, Pan's Labyrinth, Mad Max Fury Road, and even Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (a very underrated movie IMO) were all beautifully shot and I wouldn't have an argument with anyone who preferred them. Blade Runner 2049, and I don't think you'll disagree, was sort of off the charts for me, but I think we all have our view and what really sticks with us varies from individual to individual. The thing about TDK is that it created those absolute jaw dropping moments that I don't think I had ever seen before in a movie and that's something that really sticks with me. As a movie, I actually think I liked BB better.

1. The Batman
2. Batman V Superman
3. The dark knight rises
4. The dark knight
5. Batman Returns

This is way too hard. List subject to change, since I've only seen "The Batman" once.

1.) Batman Begins
2.) The Batman
3.) The Dark Knight
4.) Batman v Superman
5.) Batman 89

OK. This might change a bit after repeat viewings once the Blu Ray is released, but for now, this is my rankings.

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Batman
3) Batman Begins
4) The Dark Knight Rises
5) Batman 1989

I'm not sure if BB and TB will flip back and forth for awhile, but right now, TB is sitting at number two behind the GOAT.

This is way too hard. List subject to change, since I've only seen "The Batman" once.

1.) Batman Begins
2.) The Batman
3.) The Dark Knight
4.) Batman v Superman
5.) Batman 89

lol, what a great problem to have, right? "It's so hard to choose because there's like 5 great Batman movies!".

We are so bloody lucky.

OK. This might change a bit after repeat viewings once the Blu Ray is released, but for now, this is my rankings.

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Batman
3) Batman Begins
4) The Dark Knight Rises
5) Batman 1989

I'm not sure if BB and TB will flip back and forth for awhile, but right now, TB is sitting at number two behind the GOAT.
I feel like in my future rankings Batman Begins and The Batman will continue fighting for that #2 spot haha.

Glad to see all the love for BB. I loved Keaton's BM, but, while Nolan's first stab wasn't perfect, I was enthralled with the character arc.

Glad to see all the love for BB. I loved Keaton's BM, but, while Nolan's first stab wasn't perfect, I was enthralled with the character arc.
Batman Begins made me a Batman fan. He was always just a character in the background for me— even as a little boy running home to watch Superfriends I never paid attention to Batman— which is why I didn’t bother watching the Batman animated show when it was out (I’m just now starting to watch it now so better late…)

1. Batman Begins
2. Dark Knight
3. The Batman
4. BvS
5. Batman 89

The Dark Knight was such a zeitgeist tapping phenomenon, and it's my favourite Bat film, but damn, I wore out that Batman Begins DVD.
b8.gif

The Dark Knight was such a zeitgeist tapping phenomenon, and it's my favourite Bat film, but damn, I wore out that Batman Begins DVD.
b8.gif

Yeah, it's moments like that why Begins might slip back to number 2, lol.

1. Batman Begins
2. The Batman
3. Batman 89
4. TDK
5. Batman Returns

This was extremely difficult. There’s so much both The Batman and Batman Begins have to offer that I can go on and on about, but at the moment I think I’m going to keep Batman Begins as my top. Though, I think once it all sinks in, The Batman will take that spot.

1) The Dark Knight - When you take away Ledger's dynamite performance as the Joker, you get an incredible story about 3 men who are doing their best to save Gotham, while facing pushback from the criminal underworld in a crime noir conflict that's nothig more than riveting. The parallels between Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent is incredible, and I can never forget the line: "You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! Well, you were wrong."

2) The Batman - Bruce Wayne's monologues added a lot to this movie. It gave us a perspective of a Batman that's not necessarily the experienced detective, but rather a rookie who's learning the ways as he's obsessing over saving Gotham. Batman as a mythological figure is explored to such great lengths in here, and of course, I get the crime noir Batman that I've always wanted since TDK.

3) Batman Begins - The movie that gave people hope that Batman could actually be done right. Still an incredible movie in 2022, and I'll likely keep waffling back and forth between this and the Batman. Christian Bale is absolutely dynamite as Bruce Wayne and Batman. The flashback manuevering gives us context for why Bruce Wayne exists the way that he does in Nolan's world. A fantastic beginning for the Nolan films

4) Mask of the Phantasm - This might be cheating but holy moly, you are doing yourself a disservice if you've not watched this. This is an incredible film on BTAS's Bruce Wayne and what compelled him to be Batman. The core of this movie is the emotional conflict we see in Bruce Wayne, where he has a chance at a happy life, but is compelled to maintain his promise to his parents to be Batman. This movie is surprisingly full of emotional character moments. I'd say more, but I want you to be genuinely surprised like I was when I saw the movie during the first wave of the pandemic.

5) The Dark Knight Rises - I'm gonna get flack for putting this here as my top 5, but I truly think it's an underrated film. It doesn't quite reach the highs of BB and TDK, but the core of why this film works for me is deconstructing Bruce Wayne's addiction to the Batman persona, and how he's become purposeless after sacrificing Batman in order for the Dent Act to be effective. I have a soft spot for stories focused on self-destructive patterns and how the main character overcomes them. Tom Hardy as Bane is nothing short of incredible (Nolan really nailed the villain castings). The last 20 minutes just hits me in the feels.

The TDK Pruitt building showdown sequence, especially the sonar effects look awesome in IMAX - and the Hong Kong stuff is definitely breathtaking. Pfister really did himself proud there.

1) The Dark Knight - When you take away Ledger's dynamite performance as the Joker, you get an incredible story about 3 men who are doing their best to save Gotham, while facing pushback from the criminal underworld in a crime noir conflict that's nothig more than riveting. The parallels between Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent is incredible, and I can never forget the line: "You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! Well, you were wrong."

2) The Batman - Bruce Wayne's monologues added a lot to this movie. It gave us a perspective of a Batman that's not necessarily the experienced detective, but rather a rookie who's learning the ways as he's obsessing over saving Gotham. Batman as a mythological figure is explored to such great lengths in here, and of course, I get the crime noir Batman that I've always wanted since TDK.

3) Batman Begins - The movie that gave people hope that Batman could actually be done right. Still an incredible movie in 2022, and I'll likely keep waffling back and forth between this and the Batman. Christian Bale is absolutely dynamite as Bruce Wayne and Batman. The flashback manuevering gives us context for why Bruce Wayne exists the way that he does in Nolan's world. A fantastic beginning for the Nolan films

4) Mask of the Phantasm - This might be cheating but holy moly, you are doing yourself a disservice if you've not watched this. This is an incredible film on BTAS's Bruce Wayne and what compelled him to be Batman. The core of this movie is the emotional conflict we see in Bruce Wayne, where he has a chance at a happy life, but is compelled to maintain his promise to his parents to be Batman. This movie is surprisingly full of emotional character moments. I'd say more, but I want you to be genuinely surprised like I was when I saw the movie during the first wave of the pandemic.

5) The Dark Knight Rises - I'm gonna get flack for putting this here as my top 5, but I truly think it's an underrated film. It doesn't quite reach the highs of BB and TDK, but the core of why this film works for me is deconstructing Bruce Wayne's addiction to the Batman persona, and how he's become purposeless after sacrificing Batman in order for the Dent Act to be effective. I have a soft spot for stories focused on self-destructive patterns and how the main character overcomes them. Tom Hardy as Bane is nothing short of incredible (Nolan really nailed the villain castings). The last 20 minutes just hits me in the feels.
Far more people like Rises than dislike it. Far more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"