Homecoming Post-Homecoming: Rank your top 3 Spider-man movies

Why do you not think highly of the first movie?

Spider-Man remains my Marvel equivalent of Superman in that they haven't yet quite captured the essence of the character for me. Homecoming probably would have been rated higher but I think all the reboots has made it all a little too late for me. Maybe the sequel will be better. Back to Spider-Man 1, I never found Tobey very charismatic (despite the fact that I like him as an actor and thought he was a good choice), funny nor did I ever connect to any sort of joy he had being Spider-Man. Secondly, and maybe more importantly (because I did enjoy Spider-Man 2), I hated the design of the Green Goblin so much that it completely took me out of the movie every time he appeared. He was one of my favourite all time villains but the costume and in particular the fixed expression Goblin mask/helmet made him feel completely muted. I seem to remember some weird scene where you had Spidey and the Goblin on a rooftop talking to each other with these masks with zero expression which I found laughably bad and dated even back then. I MUCH preferred the footage I saw of the alternate Goblin mask that was rejected. Anyways, Spidey was my second favourite comic (only to Batman) as a kid so I'm still waiting on that film that I can connect with.

Yes-!! Someone who appreciates Spidey 3. :)

While it has it's flaws,I really enjoy the film and don't think it deserves all the hate. It has some great action scenes and heartfelt ones as well.

For me it's...

Spider-man 2
Spider-man 3
Spider-man
Spider-man:Homecoming
The Amazing Spider-man 2
The Amazing Spider-man

Put Amazing Spider-Man 2 at the bottom and this is my list.

Homecoming is one of the few I keep wanting to revisit from time to time. Has that 'rewatchability factor' I'm always hungry for.

Has Homecoming aged well?

tenor.gif

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Spider-Man (2002)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I despise the Amazing Spider-Man films. they look and smell like complete S***. as for Homecoming, I do really enjoy it, but I will admit that I prefer my Spider-Man to have more consequences, like in the Raimi films. Yes there are those in Homecoming, but I feel like it's often forgotten about rather quickly. Perhaps its because I was a big fan fo the 60s and 70s comics mainly haha. But as a Spider-man fan, I was also never totally comfortable with Tony being Peters mentor, and still am not to this day, but it works well within in the story they are telling in the MCU. With that being said, The film definitely whent for a more comedic tone, and it works in its favor for the most part. Btw, I still stand by my opinion when I say Spider-Man 3 is one of the most underrated superhero films ever. Flawed? Absolutely, but theres SOOOOO many worse CBM's out there.

Last edited:
I love Homecoming but find it hard to rank it against Raimi's first two films. On the one hand it captures the character of Spider-Man much better but on the other, because they intentionally made it more suburban and smaller in scale, it doesn't have the grandiose feel of Raimi's. They're very different and I appreciate both takes - one more for capturing the character and the other for quality of the films.

However, I don't necessarily feel that you could pull Tom Holland's Spidey out of Homecoming and insert him into Raimi's films to get the best of both worlds. They're so different by design that I doubt that would work. In fact, Holland's Spidey is drawn out and given the feel and character he has, to some extent, by the tone and feel of Homecoming.

I always jump back and forth between Spidey 1 and 2. At the moment 2 is my favourite.

I love all 5 non MCU movies, and really liked the MCU one recently.

I love Spider-Man 1 & 2 and find them to be a near-perfect duology. And I love Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Spider-Man 3 has a lot of problems, but I don't hate it. I hate The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and the first entry of that series now feels completely pointless.

I have a very hard time ranking the films.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man 3
5. The Amazing Spider-Man
6. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

My #2 usually switches between Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

1) SPIDER-MAN 2
2) SPIDER-MAN

*light years away*

3) HOMECOMING
4) THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
5) SPIDER-MAN 3
6) THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

3-6 I didn't really enjoy at all, although some have good ideas.

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3

Bookended by two Raimi films. :awesome:

Homecoming is definitely at the top. It is the most enjoyable, best villain, mechanical web shooters, larger marvel universe.

Amazing Spider-Man is second I think. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great.

Spider-Man 2 is third. A great movie born long before its time.

SM1 is okay.

ASM2 and SM3 are so bad.

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Spider-Man (2002)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I despise the Amazing Spider-Man films. they look and smell like complete S***. as for Homecoming, I do really enjoy it, but I will admit that I prefer my Spider-Man to have more consequences, like in the Raimi films. Yes there are those in Homecoming, but I feel like it's often forgotten about rather quickly. Perhaps its because I was a big fan fo the 60s and 70s comics mainly haha. But as a Spider-man fan, I was also never totally comfortable with Tony being Peters mentor, and still am not to this day, but it works well within in the story they are telling in the MCU. With that being said, The film definitely whent for a more comedic tone, and it works in its favor for the most part. Btw, I still stand by my opinion when I say Spider-Man 3 is one of the most underrated superhero films ever. Flawed? Absolutely, but theres SOOOOO many worse CBM's out there.
You and I share pretty much the same feelings. Though my dislike for the ASM films probably isn't as strong, in retrospect anyway. They're just kinda there, it helps now that things are a little bit better for Spidey on film. ASM2 is pretty hilarious though, I don't understand how anybody can say SM3 is worse than that movie. ASM2 is devoid of real personality and operates more as a commercial than a movie. SM3 is actually a movie, by a director who you can tell tried his hardest and while it isn't perfectly structured it's still a movie and acts like one.

I appreciate the Amazing films in a "ok so that's what a different take on the character looks like, now let's get back to the classic" way. The second one tries too hard to make it look and sound like classic Spidey but it comes out as cheesy, desperate and irritable. The villains are all terrible, and it just doesn't work.
Homecoming knows exactly what it wants to be. And it is still quite different from the still excellent Spider-Man 2, the MCU hasn't reached that version of a more mature Spider-Man but it will get there I presume.

My top three Spider-Man films without any hesitation:

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2

I would rather watch Spider-Man 3 instead of the two Amazing Spider-Man films as well.

I wonder where Into The Spider-Verse will fall in my ranking.

Right there with you. That movie won my interest and my hype.

Same. If the quality matches the trailer it could be very well high on my list as I have always preferred a Peter Parker out of high school as well as Miles and Spider-Gwen.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man 3
3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

And further

4. Spider-Man
5. The Amazing Spider-Man
6. Civil War
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming

I may well be ranking TASM too high, that could later change and it may be the worst one.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2 is almost unbearably corny, but has incredible action scenes, and nails Peter's eternal dilemma so well it makes further films look almost irrelevant.

Including Into the Spider-Verse, I would go:

Great:

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Very Good:

Spider-Man

Good:

Spider-Man 3

Okay:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Abysmal: