Predicting Critic Response To TASM2

Discussion in 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' started by Alt-Josh, Jun 20, 2013.

1. JOE

JOE _________________________

The jewel story in TDK is bone-chilling. Wasn't a part of that in the teaser of TDK?

2. TheWallCrawler

TheWallCrawler hero or a menace?

it was. and the teaser for TDK sent major chills down my spine. It's still my favorite TDK trailer

3. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

I thought both the TDK and TDKR teasers are mediocre to bad.

4. JOE

The one with Bane at the end walking towards Batman... That was the best part of TDKR for me.

5. Gianakin_

Yeah, that's the one. One of the worst teasers I've ever seen. I actually got worried for TDKR for a moment back in August '11.

6. JOE

Why? That was the most epic part of TDKR.

7. Gianakin_

You mean the teaser or the fight (and particularly that shot/part of the fight)?

8. JOE

The teaser for me was more epic than the actual fight itself. The fact that they only showed 2 seconds of it mixed in with the score was incredible marketing. Loved every second of that. One of my favorite teaser moments in CBM history.

9. Gianakin_

Can't begin to say how much I disagree, but fair enough.

10. Green Goblin

The way Anno has defended TDKR on this forum and others is admirable. He deserves a medal or Atleast a hug from Warner Brothers...

11. JOE

He deserves the lead role for The Dark Knight Rises Again.

12. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

^Man of Steel has a Rotten 55% on Rotten Tomatoes from critics and The Dark Knight Rises was not as well received as it's predecessor.

EDIT: IMO Man of Steel was just as flawed as AMS but in opposite ways. While I think the script and editing for AMS were absolute crap and that Marc Web's direction and charm is what kept it a float, I think the the script and story for Man of Steel was brilliant but the direction and style was terrible. It was too much of Nolan (using him instead of Snyder because he does this with all of his movies) trying to tell the audience his movie is awesome instead of letting it be awesome on its own.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  13. UltimateWebhead

UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

I thought the script for ASM was just fine. It was the last minute editing that botched certain aspects of the movie.

14. Joe_Kickass

Joe_Kickass Well-Known Member

I thought the script was the worst part of MOS. A lot of the dialogue was wonky (meaning at times downright corny and seemed apparent that it was written, part of writing good dialogue is making it believable that someon thought of it right on the spot, but I can't believe that Clark's mom thought of that whole symbolic island metaphor on the spot, I mean who says things that like?) not to mention the heavy handed symbolism, the skulls, Superman reaching for the sun, the 9/11 imagery of that woman being trapped under the rubble. Also, while watching the movie it seems pretty epic, but once you think about the movie afterwards, you begin to realize that not all that much really happened in the movie. I also thought that none of the characters in the movie were particularly fleshed out, or given any personality really. It was a pretty mediocre script IMO, and time again Goyer shows that he can't write romance to save his life. That hot joke at the end also was a cringe worthy play at a laugh.

15. JOE

The flow was what threw me off with MOS. Just didn't jive properly.

16. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

I loved MOS, but like JOE said it flowed wrong and it was edited badly. ASM had a good story, but a terrible Villain played by an little known actor, and they edited out all the scenes that developed him. The movie edited the best scenes we saw only on commercials, the final result is a indie like movie with a dumb villian, and a bunch of key scenes edited out.

17. Hammer!

Hammer! Well-Known Member

Why did Anno get banned? Did he finally go crazy at the fact that many people felt TDKR was a severe letdown?

18. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Another bad part, Jonathan tries to convince Clark not to be a hero and that leads to his death. The entire movie, Clark becomes Superman and saves everyone.... WUT.

19. BenKenobi

I agree with you, only where you see it as a failure at scripting, I see as more a failure for the director/producer. The big problem with MOS for me at least, was that it took itself far too seriously given the script it was working with. I loved aspects of it (Louis and Clarks relationship, Supermans soul searching, etc) but it was clearly written to be a fun shameless summer action flick but it was executed as if it was Pride and Prejudice.

Amazing Spider-Man, on the scripting level was a pretty average rehashing of the 2002 film (I don't mean the origin, I mean little things like Peter getting bullied and the girl standing up for him during her introduction, the antagonist having an argument in his lair between his split personalities after discovering Peters identity, Uncle Ben and Peter arguing over his use of his powers to deal with Flash right before he's shot, "I can't be with you", etc). Marc Webb did such a good job making Peter feel like a real relatable socially awkward, vulnerable, outcast and fleshed out the relationship aspect so well, that it becomes hard to notice we've seen this story (replace a few characters) before.

I think that's a better way of putting what I was trying to say^

20. BenKenobi

I almost walked out at the part, had I not been my friends ride I would have. I was a bit peeved at first by Cavil's poor impersonation of a rebellious teenager, that was only the tip of the iceberg. First off, why'd they leave the dog behind in the first place? If he's willing to risk his life to save this animal why didn't he just take him out right away? Second I know this is the same guy that suggested Clark leave a bunch of kids to drown in a bus but if he cared about his father he wouldn't have let him die imo.

I also didn't get why Jor-El didn't shoot Zod? Like he shot all of his soldiers that he knocked down, but then when he beats Zod he doesn't shoot him for the sake of the story.

21. Pickleweasel

Pickleweasel Well-Known Member

lol :whatever:

22. Green Goblin

Some parts like Uncle Ben teaching Peter about using his powers is kinda part of the story lol. The Lizard talked to himself in some versions of the comics... How does the script compare to the likes of IM3 for example?

23. Hammer!

Hammer! Well-Known Member

Don't even try and find logic in a David Goyer script.

24. BenKenobi

I think Jonathan Nolan was probably the strongest writing credit on MOS, Christopher is WAY too pretentious IMO, and Goyer is a loose canon.

Anyway I have a lot more hope for AMS 2 than MOS 2. Sony is the lesser of two evils when compared to WB imo.

25. StarLord

StarLord Boogeyman

:huh:

The one with Jokers voice/laugh at the end? That was incredible.