Probably fake plot points I just got by e-mail from an "Insider".

The second part makes sense and I'd imagine that is 100% for sure gonna happen. The first part doesn't bother me at all either as far as how The Surfer comes across our planet. It's better than just randomly finding it.

Yea. The 2nd part is 100 % plausable, and from the MTV article, that 2nd part is allmost 100 % right. The 1st part.......I agree with a previous poster. Would be a bit cheesy. And Malus idea of 5 to 8 minutes spent touching on the Surfers origin is way too much, and in my opinion should be mentiond only briefly. Do the origin in the stand alone Surfer movie, do not waste much time other then a passing reference only. Let people wounder where he came from. Will make a great drawing point for the Surfer movie.

Yea. The 2nd part is 100 % plausable, and from the MTV article, that 2nd part is allmost 100 % right. The 1st part.......I agree with a previous poster. Would be a bit cheesy. And Malus idea of 5 to 8 minutes spent touching on the Surfers origin is way too much, and in my opinion should be mentiond only briefly. Do the origin in the stand alone Surfer movie, do not waste much time other then a passing reference only. Let people wounder where he came from. Will make a great drawing point for the Surfer movie.

That Surfer origin-as-prologue idea wouldn't be my preference; just a theory on how Galactus could make an appearance but not be a direct threat to Earth yet.

The Surfer may feel Galactus' presence in his mind, across vast distances. That could also allow for Galactus to be shown in another way.
Or in the Surfer's memories.

I'll be surprised if we get confirmation that there's a full-on fight to the finish with Galactus in this film.
And worried, I think.

That Surfer origin-as-prologue idea wouldn't be my preference; just a theory on how Galactus could make an appearance but not be a direct threat to Earth yet.

The Surfer may feel Galactus' presence in his mind, across vast distances. That could also allow for Galactus to be shown in another way.
Or in the Surfer's memories.

I'll be surprised if we get confirmation that there's a full-on fight to the finish with Galactus in this film.
And worried, I think.

Fight will not happen here in this movie. If at all will be 3. Flash backs would be good. They have to give the audience a taste of where the Surfer, and Galacuts came from. I think that could be woven throughout the movie, with no interuption to the flow. This movie is going to fast paced, and fly by the seat of your pants. I feel this movie will be everything the 1st one was not. And one thing that floors me is how well they have kept Doom's look on or around the set such a secret. Not even a sniff at what he looks like. And I like it that way. :woot:

FF #116 was probably the first and best-known time he helped 'em out:
FF116.jpg

As you can see from the story title, it took a threat of world-shaking significance to bring it about. A powerful alien villain called the Overmind had taken over Reed's mind and turned him against the rest of the FF. How powerful? Well, they were still all defeated.
A cosmic entity called The Stranger had to show up to save the day by banishing Overmind to the microverse.

From people seeing all these covers, they should know by now why FF is reguarded as the best comic franchise ever. You just never knew what was comming next issue. :woot: It had more twists and turns then a bag full of pretzels.

Take 'em all with a grain of salt. I am doing that.

- The Surfer is somehow "summoned" by Doctor Doom, as in, in his quest to get his hands on more Power Cosmic, he accidentally makes The Surfer aware of Earth's existence.

- Doom steals the Power Cosmic from the Surfer and plans to use it to destroy the FF, but then Galactus appears and Doom switches sides, helping their enemies to defeat the Devourer.

meh... probably fake...

We'll I'll accept if The Surfer comes across the Voyager probe or maybe a probe Doom Industry sent out. That's not so hard to believe a probe sending out instructions or the location of Earth trying to contact an Alien life form.

We'll I'll accept if The Surfer comes across the Voyager probe or maybe a probe Doom Industry sent out. That's not so hard to believe a probe sending out instructions or the location of Earth trying to contact an Alien life form.
If they go that route, I'd like to see him "hear" the Earth via old radio or tv transmissions.

Maybe they'll change a lot of things, just like they did on the first one. And we're not even sure if the Surfer will have an origin. The original SS was just there; his origin came way later, during his solo series.

That is true but this is the movies so I wonder if they would let it go at that. They at least have to state what he is doing on Earth, I would think...

The second part makes sense and I'd imagine that is 100% for sure gonna happen. The first part doesn't bother me at all either as far as how The Surfer comes across our planet. It's better than just randomly finding it.

Both parts are idiotic.

You say its better for Doom to draw the Surfer here, rather than the Surfer just randomly finding earth? How the Hell would Doom even know who or what the Surfer is? And- the Surfer and Galactus with their omnipotence would very likely know about where to search for inhabited planets more easily than Doom knowing about them. And moreover, Doom knows nothing about the surfer. How could he think that he could overwhelm a being of such power? He couldn't know the Surfer would be naive and suscpetible- and indeed, the Surfer only becomes as such due to his emotional rebirth which occurs in FF #48-50.

And the second part essentially writes the Surfer out of a story that he's supposed to be a main character in, being that his name, not Doom's is in the title.

However, such a crappy story concept certainly wouldn't surprise me from this crew.

The Voyager probe already became V'Ger, so I'll guess he finds a Doom Probe.

That, or they'll find a way to tie in the cosmic storm from the 1st movie to the arrival or the Surfer/Galactus. If you remember, the cosmic storm accelerated unexpectedly, and Reed NEVER made a calculus mistake.

Well, it's the Hollywoodmania to tie in villains and heroes since Burton's Batman...

Well, there is a small distinction vis a vis Reed, Victor and Ben as compared to Burton linking the Joker to Bruce Wayne. From the very first, they all knew each other from college. It's just that the film tracked their origins to occur simultaneously whereas Doom went into seclusion for an undetermined amount of time before he made his first attack on the FF in issue #5.

But it's still a link. The Batman one never existed in the comics... just as Doom's origin as portrayed on the movie.

In fact, IIRC, the fact that Doom and Richards met before their "Fantastic" fate was kind of a retcon, even in the comics. I may be wrong on that, but what I'm sure it that there's a LOT of retcon on Byrne's version of Doom's origin (c'mon, he put a red-hot, fresh-out of the oven iron mask on his face? That's STUPID! Doom is supposed to be a DOCTOR, dammit!).

In fact, IIRC, the fact that Doom and Richards met before their "Fantastic" fate was kind of a retcon, even in the comics. I may be wrong on that,
Very wrong, as you can see from this page from FF#5 printed in 1962, Doom's first appearance..:woot:

FF5.jpg

....but what I'm sure it that there's a LOT of retcon on Byrne's version of Doom's origin (c'mon, he put a red-hot, fresh-out of the oven iron mask on his face? That's STUPID! Doom is supposed to be a DOCTOR, dammit!).

Just what exactly he has a doctorate in is anyone's guess... He didn't attend a school of medicine. Most likely he "persuaded" the Latverian University to bestow the title on him.:woot:

As for Byrne retcon, that's a long story but I used to frequent John Byrne's MB and what he was trying to do is reconcile the conflicting versions that were caused by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's inconsistencies with the character. The first time Doom takes off his mask is in the presence of Stan and Jack themselves in the Marvel offices. Jack drew the page and Stan scripted it. Their reaction is one of fear and revulsion as they both implore him to put it back on. Stan continues with the concept that Doom's face is irreparably scarred in all subsequent appearances. In later years, Jack Kirby would assert at conventions that Doom's face was almost normal except for a small scar and he even made a sketch showing this...

Unmaskd.jpg

So Byrne attempted to account for both versions, not wanting to favor one over the other. In Byrne's retelling of the story, Victor leaves the States after getting expelled, and is shown with just the small scar as in Kirby's sketch. Then he deliberately has the hot mask put on his face because in his mind his face was already ruined.

Ed Brubaker's recent "Books of Doom" is also deliberately vague about this point but also adds that when Victor tried to contact the Netherworld in the ill-fated college experiment, his face was touched by the hand of a demon. We never see the resulting damage and Brubaker leaves it up to the reader to decide.

So Byrne attempted to account for both versions, not wanting to favor one over the other. In Byrne's retelling of the story, Victor leaves the States after getting expelled, and is shown with just the small scar as in Kirby's sketch. Then he deliberately has the hot mask put on his face because in his mind his face was already ruined.
What an informative and entertaining post!:yay:

Personally, I like Byrne's take on it.
Hmm- since Kirby drew himself recoiling from the sight of Doom in FF#10, he was at least going along with the horribly scarred scenario at that point.
I like Byrne's fusion of the two ideas, though. The idea that Doom was so vain and crazy that he deliberately had that red hot mask placed on him.
That's great!

Thanks! I always considered Byrne's FF the most entertaining after Stan and Jack left. The issues immediately afterward, by various writers like Roy Thomas, Len Wein or Marv Wolfman or Doug Moench were fine but I think Byrne really kickstarted things when he took over. It's too bad he didn't stay with it and got disenchanted with Marvel and jumped to DC.

Okay, I forgot that page... but that doesn't make the fact that, if you put a red-hot iron mask on your face, you'll probably die...

Very wrong, as you can see from this page from FF#5 printed in 1962, Doom's first appearance..:woot:

Just what exactly he has a doctorate in is anyone's guess... He didn't attend a school of medicine. Most likely he "persuaded" the Latverian University to bestow the title on him.:woot:

As for Byrne retcon, that's a long story but I used to frequent John Byrne's MB and what he was trying to do is reconcile the conflicting versions that were caused by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's inconsistencies with the character. The first time Doom takes off his mask is in the presence of Stan and Jack themselves in the Marvel offices. Jack drew the page and Stan scripted it. Their reaction is one of fear and revulsion as they both implore him to put it back on. Stan continues with the concept that Doom's face is irreparably scarred in all subsequent appearances. In later years, Jack Kirby would assert at conventions that Doom's face was almost normal except for a small scar and he even made a sketch showing this...

Ed Brubaker's recent "Books of Doom" is also deliberately vague about this point but also adds that when Victor tried to contact the Netherworld in the ill-fated college experiment, his face was touched by the hand of a demon. We never see the resulting damage and Brubaker leaves it up to the reader to decide.

Great post. I agree that the combination of Lee and Kirby's takes on the events make Doom more whole as a character.

Okay, I forgot that page... but that doesn't make the fact that, if you put a red-hot iron mask on your face, you'll probably die...

Hey, it's Doom.... his atoms were scattered to the four winds when Terrax and the Silver Surfer went up in a cosmically powered fireball, been scorched by the radiation of the Cosmic Cube and been down in Hell several times and lived to tell the tale.

BTW,ever see that episode of the Shield where Michael Chiklis's character Vic Mackey "questions" a perp using an electric stove's burner???

Take 'em all with a grain of salt. I am doing that.

- The Surfer is somehow "summoned" by Doctor Doom, as in, in his quest to get his hands on more Power Cosmic, he accidentally makes The Surfer aware of Earth's existence.

- Doom steals the Power Cosmic from the Surfer and plans to use it to destroy the FF, but then Galactus appears and Doom switches sides, helping their enemies to defeat the Devourer.
I like Number 1, don't care for Number 2. And for whoever said it's Surfer's job to find new planets, i think the word "summoned" was misleading. The point is he becomes aware of Earth's existence because of Doom.

If they go that route, I'd like to see him "hear" the Earth via old radio or tv transmissions.

I'm sure with his power he can. I don't want them to go that route at all, but it sounds much better then Doom summonimng him to earth to steal his power.

these "spoilers" sound kinda cool, but I hoping the outcome is alot more interesting. :down:

these "spoilers" sound kinda cool, but I hoping the outcome is alot more interesting. :down:
Me, too. We're all just speculating at this point, which is kinda the way I hope it stays.
They're doing a much better job keeping a lid on this one than they did on FF1. By this time in 2005, we already knew way too much, in my opinion.
At least this time, what we do know is more promising than last time.

I'd love to walk into the theater on June 15th knowing little more than I do now. But I'm afraid if I keep stopping by this forum every day as I do now, it's all gonna be spoiled...

I'm sure with his power he can. I don't want them to go that route at all, but it sounds much better then Doom summonimng him to earth to steal his power.

You misunderstood. Doom doesn't summon the Surfer INTENTIONALLY. He's just doing some space probing or anything of the sort, maybe a beacon, that ends up attracting the attention of the Surfer - but not on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"