Punisher Recommendations?

Ash Loomis

Civilian
Reaction score
Recently I've really gotten into the Punisher after reading Garth Ennis' and Jason Aaron's work on the character in the Marvel Knights and MAX imprints. Do you fellows and lasses have any recommendations for other good Punisher comics I could read? Thanks!

Rick Remender's run from a couple of years ago and Greg Rucka's current run.

Oh, I read a Huntress story once with the Question in it by Greg Rucka, that was really good, I'll have to read his Punisher as well.

I enjoyed Fraction and Olivetti's Punisher War Journal. It is in a much different tone than Ennis' stuff, as the book has Frank Castle interacting with other heroes (he isn't very fond of them.) It still has that screwed-up violent humor.

Remender's Punisher Dark Reign and Marvel Universe vs Punisher by Maberry.

Circle of Blood, Return to the Big Nothing, Year One, Essentials vol 4 just came out and has a bunch of my personal favorites collected in it.

Recently I've really gotten into the Punisher after reading Garth Ennis' and Jason Aaron's work on the character in the Marvel Knights and MAX imprints. Do you fellows and lasses have any recommendations for other good Punisher comics I could read? Thanks!

If you're into Ennis' Punisher MAX and that dark, deadly serious tone, I'd steer clear of Fraction's Punisher WarJournal or Remender's Franken-Castle. WarJournal (2006) was absolutely horrible - Fraction never understood the character and even admitted it. Franken-Castle would be great as an altenate universe take on the character, but many long-time fans of the character were pretty bitter at the silly idea. In my opinion, it was a good book but not a good Punisher book.

As far as recommendations go, Ennis wrote at least 49 issues of the Punisher under the Marvel Knights imprint from 2000-2004. Rucka's 16 issues Punisher run from 2011-2012 was pretty good too. Also, you can't go wrong with classic Punisher titles, such as the second ongoing (1987-1995), the first WarJournal (1988-1995), and WarZone (1992-1995). Good luck, buddy!

If you're into Ennis' Punisher MAX and that dark, deadly serious tone, I'd steer clear of Fraction's Punisher WarJournal or Remender's Franken-Castle. WarJournal (2006) was absolutely horrible - Fraction never understood the character and even admitted it. Franken-Castle would be great as an altenate universe take on the character, but many long-time fans of the character were pretty bitter at the silly idea. In my opinion, it was a good book but not a good Punisher book.

As far as recommendations go, Ennis wrote at least 49 issues of the Punisher under the Marvel Knights imprint from 2000-2004. Rucka's 16 issues Punisher run from 2011-2012 was pretty good too. Also, you can't go wrong with classic Punisher titles, such as the second ongoing (1987-1995), the first WarJournal (1988-1995), and WarZone (1992-1995). Good luck, buddy!

Quoted for truth

I'd recommend

Dixon's Marvel Knights series is a good example of the Punisher working in the MU

Rucka's current run has been very good too so pick that up

Starlin and Bernie Wrightson's Punisher: P.O.V. This is a really great story!

Millar's Ultimate Avengers V2 & 4

A couple of good one shots include: Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights, G-Force, Punisher/Captain America: Blood and Glory, No Escape, The Prize, Return to Big Nothing, Circle of Blood and Kingdom Gone (ace!).

I'd skip the fraction run as its diabolical and remenders run isn't much better as a direct continuation of it. Dont get the Space:punisher series, its awful.

Oh and as a Bonus! I found this by accident, Punisher fans check this out :woot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgzL3rlzLg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"