Garth Ennis is done - The Garth Ennis Punisher Retrospective

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
Well, it's been a heck of a ride, going back all the way to 2000 with the brilliant Welcome Back, Frank. That's eight ****in' years of Garth Ennis writing The Punisher.

Welcome Back, Frank was incredibly violent and bloody, with a dark humor running through it, and a very high body count. I remember after I first read it, I went back to the start and tried to count the number of people killed on panel. I can't remember the exact number, but it was well over 60. It was a very entertaining book.

Once the book shifted over to the Max line, it became infinitely darker and more violent. In Up is Down and Black Is White, The Punisher is like an unstoppable force of nature. Going from drug dens to gang hangouts, elminating dozens and dozens of people in a hail of blood and bullets.

Born - a story of Frank's Vietnam days. In many ways this is where the Punisher really started (thus the title). Some unnamed dark force talks in Frank's head. Is it the devil? The Grim Reaper? Some dark force that feeds on the dead of all wartime throughout history? Frank, through the eyes of one of the other soldiers, is shown as a man that has fallen in love with war and doesn't ever want it to stop.

The End - spectacular piece of work. There is a running theme through some of Ennis' work on The Punisher. The Punisher, or maybe another unnamed force of nature, seems to feel fury at those who profit from war.
Though they are the last people alive, The Punisher eliminates them unrelentingly

Tyger - I haven't actually read this. I sorely want to. It's not available in stores. But this goes back even further than Born, to Frank's childhood. Garth Ennis' work has spanned Frank's entire life.

Valley Forge, Valley Forge - definately seems like a critique of not just the Vietnam war but of the Iraq war. It's not overly preachy, it just shows things from the point of view of an author whose brother died in Vietnam. The only good thing he took out of Vietnam was that never again would America be lied into a war. To his horror and anger, he is proven wrong. Some of the best fiction is fiction that reflects reality, and this story arc certainly does that. It covers some facts of the Vietnam war and puts it in a poetic perspective.

The book does not overtly state this, this is my own interpretation. But I feel that maybe Frank Castle is the embodiment of the anger and rage of dead soldiers, made to die for a lie.

"In the end, the war in Vietnam was much like any other.

There were those who profited.

Those it devoured.

And then there were those for whom there are no words"

I feel I will ask for Punisher to be taken off my shelf now. I don't think there will ever be anyone that got the character like Ennis did.

Discuss Garth Ennis' Punisher here.

Ennis set the standard for Punisher awesomeness.

Well this is one of the finest comic book runs marvel has ever published.

In years to come it's going to be spoken of along with miller's DD, Stan & Jacks FF, claremont, byrne and cockrum's xmen. It really was frighteningly good. Particularly the max stuff.

At least we've got some ennis and dillion punisher on the horizon to ease the pain :)

He brought The Punisher back to life with his Marvel Knights stuff and then continued to make Punisher MAX which is easily one of favorite comics. Can't wait to get the omnibus which collects just about all of his Marvel Knights issues and Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe. Thank you Garth Ennis for bringing one of Marvels greatest heroes back to life.

Also, Preacher is AWESOME:woot:.

I'm dropping Punisher now that he's off the book, I think. Him leaving, the horrible looking new movie, and Fractions abortion of a comic have all sort of killed all my drive to get new Punisher stories. Hopefully he'll come back, at least for some mini's some day...

he will be missed, whoever takes over has some big shoes to fill. I'll give them a chance because I'm a Punisher fan but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I just got the reprint of the Punisher PWNS the Marvel Universe. I think Garth Ennis needs to make this into a 6 issue miniseries!

You can totally see that this comic is a great foreshadowing of his hit series The Boys!

IMO, Punisher was never realized until Ennis took over. It's a shame that the movie, while it has its moments that feel like Ennis, didn't realize this true essence of the character. He's not a superhero, he's a %*#$*#$#*. :oldrazz:

I think Ennis is to Punisher what Miller was to Batman and Daredevil--sure, there were good interpetations before and during, but, nothing really compares.

As for the guy after Ennis...after reading the first part to it, it doesn't look too bad.

How cool it would be to make Ennis' Punisher stories into an HBO TV show...its totally plausible, and would kick major @ss.

ennis leaving the punisher is indeed a sad fact. he basically made the punisher relevant again and delved into his psyche showing that the punisher is not a one-note tune. a lot of people think the punisher is just about mowing down villains, but there's so much more to the character and when a great writer like ennis is at the helm it's easy to see.

all is not lost. there's a punisher: war zone mini coming out in a few months by ennis and dillon going back to the welcome back, frank days, with ma gnucci. apparently it was done a while ago but was never released, but i'm really looking forward to seeing that version of his punisher again. as much as i love the realism of the max comics, i also love the dark humor of the marvel knights run.

I'm hopeful that Ennis returns to the character in the form of one shots and minis in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"