Question About Screenwriting...

Reaction score
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong place, I just have a question that I'm hoping some of the more legal/screenwriting savvy users will be able to answer for me.

I know a lot of screenwriters in Hollywood use code-names for their screenplays to try to prevent leaking, for example, Spider-Man 3 was called "Back For More". My question is, would it be illegal to use one of those code-names for the actual name of another movie by a completely different party?

I would figure there wouldn't be any legal bindings to those movies, especially since there are plenty of instances where multiple movies have come out under the same titles, while being completely unrelated. That said, I'm not exactly "in-tune" with these types of legal issues, so I'm hoping someone else here could help me out a bit.

I wouldnt think that working titles or code titles would have any copyrights at all but I could be wrong. Im no law expert just a mild mannered repeat offender lmao

You mean like making a movie called "Blue Harvest"?

You've got a good point there. But, Family Guy attached their own name to it... Would that make a difference?

I don't mean to seem picky, I'd just really like to know as many "ins and outs" as I can.

There's a screenwriting thread (I think) in the Fandom boards. As for your question....no idea.

No. I highly doubt they'll give a crap.

Also, unless its like Star Wars, or a well known movie, a title rarly is copyrighted. So you could theoroeticly make The Transporter: A movie about a man who delivers food.

This is a post-production issue, not really screenwriting.

I think even the fake names are registered. I remembered several Indiana Jones titles were copyrighted as smoke screen to what the actual one would be named.

It's really a studio problem and not one you'd have to worry about nowadays unless you're distributing a highly anticipated movie.

EDIT: I re-read your post. You're generally fine on the title I believe. Multiple movies have been called Blown Away and Payback. From a writer's stand point, focus on a good title and if it has to be changed, so be it.

Last edited:
there shouldn't be an issue according to my lawyer

Yeah. Rarely ever are code titles registered only with big franchises like Star Wars and Indiana Jones where titles can sometimes give away the plot of a movie do you end up with the code titles being registered.

Thanks all. I'm going to look into whether the name we're choosing was actually registered or not (which I don't believe it was). The name does fit the story quite well, which is why we're going for it so strongly, but it's most definitely subject to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"