Quicksilver will not be distinguishable between Avengers 2 and DOFP

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
Think about it, we're up in arms over the prospect of the general audience being confused by the character being in both films, but I don't even think they will be able to connect the two. They will be completely different and have entirely different sized roles between the two films. The only similarity will be their powers. In DOFP, the character will be called Quicksilver, will only be used for one action scene, will have a completely different actor, will be American, and given how small his role is the general audience might not even remember the character much at all after the film.

However, in Avengers 2, the character will be known as Pietro, he will have an integral and large role in the film, he will be british, and the source of his powers will be completely different and fleshed out.

The only discernable similarity between the two characters for the general audience will be their powers. Otherwise they will be completely different as actual concepts. I don't see think this will confuse anyone and I doubt a lot of people will be able to make any connection between the two films.

Trust me when I say that by the time TA2 hits theaters, this will have become a complete and total non-issue.

Yeah, I doubt people will even completely understand who the **** that speed guy was in DOFP after it comes out. It sounds like Quicksilver in A2 will be the character we know, while the one in DOFP will be little more than glorified cameo. We'll be lucky to have his relationship with Magneto explained, much less the actual nuances of his character. Scarlet Witch might not even be in the film.

Show me where either director has come out and said directly how the character will be used in their respective films so your scenario is pure conjecture right now not fact. While it may turn out to be exactly as you said it it's still possible that we could end up with two similar characters called Quicksilver in both films.

I'm guessing you didn't read the Hitflix article and THR's Borys Kit's tweet.

Think about it, we're up in arms over the prospect of the general audience being confused by the character being in both films, but I don't even think they will be able to connect the two. They will be completely different and have entirely different sized roles between the two films. The only similarity will be their powers. In DOFP, the character will be called Quicksilver, will only be used for one action scene, will have a completely different actor, will be American, and given how small his role is the general audience might not even remember the character much at all after the film.

However, in Avengers 2, the character will be known as Pietro, he will have an integral and large role in the film, he will be british, and the source of his powers will be completely different and fleshed out.

The only discernable similarity between the two characters for the general audience will be their powers. Otherwise they will be completely different as actual concepts. I don't see think this will confuse anyone and I doubt a lot of people will be able to make any connection between the two films.

Agreed.. The only thing I'm unsure of is the whole naming issue. Feige only said Marvel can't call the siblings mutants or reference their genetic link to Magneto. Fox on the other hand can't reference the Avengers. He never said they can't use the name Quicksilver (or Scarlet Witch). This seems like a pretty big oversight, unless it's not true. Until I hear it from Fox or Marvel I'll take it with a grain of salt. Spideyboy made a good point in the DoFP forums about toy and merchandise sales. I think you'd sell a lot more goodies if the characters were named Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch rather then just Pietro and Wanda.

Last edited:
Borys Krit tweeted that Fox could only use the names Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and Marvel could only use the name Pietro and Wanda.

Also, merchandising is different. Marvel/Disney have the merchandising rights to the characters I believe, so they could call them Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver in the merchandising without referring to them as such on screen.

These two studios could give us fans something really cool by simply agreeing to one actor for the role. The likely fact is that Bryan Singer is shoehorning the character in just to do it. He even made the announcement by name-dropping Avengers in his tweet...so clearly he is hoping that Avengers interest helps the next X-Men film, while also being the "first" to have Quicksilver (so if the character breaks out in Avengers then Fox can hype up his cameo). It sucks because I'd love just a bit of hope to some day see an Avengers vs X-Men film (even though I know it won't happen).

Borys Krit tweeted that Fox could only use the names Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and Marvel could only use the name Pietro and Wanda.

I'm aware of the tweet, the only thing that doesn't make sense is Feige not bringing it up in the interview. It just seems strange he didn't add it to his list of can do/can't do regarding the siblings.

Also, merchandising is different. Marvel/Disney have the merchandising rights to the characters I believe, so they could call them Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver in the merchandising without referring to them as such on screen.

True, but it would be odd selling merchandise for a film and the characters having different names. Fans would know the difference, but people in general may be confused. I'm not saying Borys tweet isn't factual, I'd just rather hear it from Marvel or Feige before I 100 % believe it .

Right now, I'm just excited to see Quicksilver in a X-Men movie. Quicksilver will probably get a bigger and more meaningful role in The Avengers 2 since the first Avengers movie had a lot of depth when it comes to their characters but whatever. I am more excited for X-Men: Days of Future Past than the Avengers 2.

These two studios could give us fans something really cool by simply agreeing to one actor for the role. The likely fact is that Bryan Singer is shoehorning the character in just to do it. He even made the announcement by name-dropping Avengers in his tweet...so clearly he is hoping that Avengers interest helps the next X-Men film, while also being the "first" to have Quicksilver (so if the character breaks out in Avengers then Fox can hype up his cameo). It sucks because I'd love just a bit of hope to some day see an Avengers vs X-Men film (even though I know it won't happen).

Days of Future Past hits theaters a year before the Avengers sequel, so Fox won't be taking advantage of Quicksilver's potential break out.

Right now, I'm just excited to see Quicksilver in a X-Men movie. Quicksilver will probably get a bigger and more meaningful role in The Avengers 2 since the first Avengers movie had a lot of depth when it comes to their characters but whatever. I am more excited for X-Men: Days of Future Past than the Avengers 2.

Based on what was written in Drew's article and the points made in this thread, most of the comparisons will be made in the fan community. The GA probably won't even bat an eye. I was worried about a backlash against Fox at first from the fan community, but quicklty realized it won't amount to much.

It sucks because I'd love just a bit of hope to some day see an Avengers vs X-Men film (even though I know it won't happen).

Agreed. This was an easy link since they both own the same characters.

Looking back I always forget Singer threw out Whedons X-Men 1 rewrite awhile back ( but somehow that Storm line made it in haha) and Whedon felt he was treated pretty ****** by the studio. Dont think he blamed Singer but he never seemed happy about the situation or the fact he didn't see any X-Men fans working on it. Who knows if there was ever any good blood between any of these two studio crews . Im sure Marvel hates that they had to make this deal in the past with Fox. And that Fox isnt too happy about the Star Wars stuff either. Too bad. This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin on ever wanting a studio crossover.

Last edited:
I don't think Marvel and Fox have had a good relationship since Marvel Studios was founded.

I don't think Marvel and Fox have had a good relationship since Marvel Studios was founded.

Yeah, Im sure theres alot of hate goen on between the two.

Really was thinking there may have been a chance for everything to come together for awhile. Especially with Quicksilver and Wanda.

Maybe because Marvel won't release tie-in merchandise for the films of FOX.

Anyway, they should throw their ego out of the window, the only way we are gonna see Wolverine and Spider-Man in an Avengers movie, if they make a deal or share movie rights or something.

I don't want to see Spider-Man and Wolverine in Avengers films anytime soon anyway. They're solo characters. The only reason Wolverine works with the X-Men is because they're like him and he considers them family, and even then he's pretty flaky about staying around for extended periods.

Interesting Marvel releases merchandise for Spider-Man but not X-Men films.

If they were clever they could say Pietro is the younger self and the one in the avengers is older. That would clear up the origins debates.

I don't think they'll do that though. I think fox will do something dreadful to the character to try and sabotage the avengers.

If singer wanted a speedster he should have gone with North Star which would have been incredible. The only reason this is happening is because they're smarmy little brats who need a good kick

Yeah Northstar makes way more sense than Quicksilver if they wanted to just shoehorn a speedster in. That does make me think Fox is practicing gamesmanship here.

Um... correct me if I'm wrong, but the two requirements are a guy that runs at supersonic speeds and has white hair. And if both Fox and Marvel plan on doing it right, both Quicksilvers will struggle with their evil beginnings.

I mean, the GA is pretty daft, but I'm sure a large percentage of people would pick up on this similarity.

It's an amusing situation.

More amusing will be the people who were already saying "wait, Quicksilver gets the big screen treatment before The Flash? WTF?!" will no be saying "wait, two different versions of Quicksilver will hit the big screen before The Flash?! WTFF?!"

I wouldn't put *too* much stock in Borys Karloff (or whatever's) tweet....why do we assume he knows anything, anyway? He didn't specifically say Fox can *only* use the SW & QS name, or that TA2 can *only* use Wanda & Pietro. But even if that turns out to be the case, Fox isn't known for using "codenames" in X-Men, and Fox *is* known for using "blink and you miss it" cameos of major characters.

I suspect Fox's "Quicksilver" is going to be about as "memorable" as their version of Psylocke, Jubilee, or Angel.

Um... correct me if I'm wrong, but the two requirements are a guy that runs at supersonic speeds and has white hair. And if both Fox and Marvel plan on doing it right, both Quicksilvers will struggle with their evil beginnings.

I mean, the GA is pretty daft, but I'm sure a large percentage of people would pick up on this similarity.
It doesn't sound like Quicksilver in DOFP will have enough time to deal with his "evil beginnings". Yes the hair (maybe) and power will be similar but that's it, they'll be completely different character otherwise. Like Sam said, his role in the film will probably be about as memorable as all of Fox's glorified cameos.

It's an amusing situation.

More amusing will be the people who were already saying "wait, Quicksilver gets the big screen treatment before The Flash? WTF?!" will no be saying "wait, two different versions of Quicksilver will hit the big screen before The Flash?! WTFF?!"

I know its bad of me, but yes, I find that amusing, too. At least Flash fans can console themselves with the early 90s TV show, short as it was. IMO, it was pretty good for the era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"