Rachel McAdams is ???

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by Khonshu, May 18, 2016.

1. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I quite liked her here. Too bad she wasn't in the film more. Kind of hoping they can figure a way into making her Clea, but not likely.

2. Abudefduf Registered

Yeah, it's hard to deny that McAdams' talents are completely wasted here. I was honestly hoping Marvel had learned their lesson after the Thor movies, but apparently not.

Yeah, maybe it is. :hehe: Let's just say that, after Deadpool, it's become kind of hard not to notice how... well, passionless the majority of cbm romances are; and there's only so much that can be blamed on the PG-13 rating.

3. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I don't think her talents were completely wasted, because when ever she was on screen, she was pretty fantastic. Portman was bad in Thor and TDW. McAdams was really good, and they got across a strong connection between Christine and Strange in very few scenes.

4. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

I thought McAdams was good, but she could have been put to better use as Pepper Potts, which she originally turned down.

5. Rote Registered

I think McAdams was great in it. What other mediocre actress could have very well failed, Rachel managed to turn into really believable character full of life even with small role of hers. And I wouldn't say, that her role was pointless: she saved Spoiler's life after all. She is Strange's moral compass too.

6. Abudefduf Registered

You're right, I enjoyed their chemistry together too. It's just very disappointing to see a good actress being wasted in such a thankless role when I can easily think of quite a few better characters that she could've played.

But eh, I'll live, and so will she. :o

#31 Abudefduf, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. antsman41 Belongs To Prince

I'd say as an actress, of all of the Marvel "love-interests"... she's the in the top 3 with Atwell/Dawson.

For character rankings, though;

Tier 1: [Claire Temple], Peggy Carter, Janet, Pepper Potts, Dr. Palmer

Tier 1: Sharon Carter, Hawkeye's wife, Maya Hansen

Tier 3: Star-Lord's one night stand, waitress in Avengers......................., and Dr. Foster.

8. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I dont get the hate for Portman as Foster.
    I especially don't get it because it seemed that everyone liked her in the first Thor. I guess the 2nd one came out and everyone flipped.

I think that is still one of the few MCU film relationships that doesn't feel forced in terms of chemistry. They actually seemed like 2 people who were really into each other

and really Janet is top tier? As a character by herself she's cool but the Ant-Man love story was laughable.

Top tier for me is Pepper and Peggy Carter. Everyone else either doesn't get enough to do, isn't interesting, or just has no chemistry

9. Loki882 Registered

I liked Jane well-enough in the first movie. She wasn't great, but she wasn't bad either. And I saw her and Thor's dynamic as more of a mutual attraction that could potentially become a full-on romance in the future.

Then TDW came out and they dropped the ball with that big time imo.

10. LoganGambit87 Registered

talk about wasting an actress why was she even in this movie lol

11. Blitzkrieg Registered

Christine Palmer was a pointless addition to the cast but McAdams was very good in her role IMO.

12. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Possible scenarios that would make her more relevant to the mythos:

She is diagnosed with a terminal illness. Strange feels helpless in that he cannot save her through physical means. He changes her mystically. Her personality changes, her hair turns white, she takes on a new name, her middle name? "Clea."

Becomes a partner to Doctor Strange against Mordo/Dormammu/the dark dimension. Rather than just a boring love interest.

Perhaps TAO possesses her to an extent in order to warn Strange of certain threats. So we see Tilda Swinton as an astral projection just outside of Palmer's body. Channeling her spirit in order to save the world. She gives Palmer certain powers to protect her physical body. Her hair turns white...

13. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

All of which would be a notable step down from the narrative role she actually did serve. Its not a terrible thing for superheroes to have associates and friends and acquaintances who are "ordinary".

14. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Wasted talent. And the film started off very promising. The scenes where McAdams and Cumberbatch deal with Strange's accident are actually pretty good and for me the dramatic high point of their scenes together was the fight they have in Strange's apt. where he accuses her of pitying him.

But was there really ANY need for a romantic character in this film?

15. AlluAllu Registered

I would argue that she wasn't a romantic character. I didn't get the feeling that either one of them wanted the relationship back.

The character could have been just as well a male who cared about Strange.

16. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

I never cared for the character or performance and I don't think that Portman and Hemsworth have a lick of chemistry. So no not "everyone" was on board.

Even though I thought Rachel McAdams character was useless/ underutilized in Doctor Strange, I did feel that her and Cumberbatch had chemistry and that she was good in the small thankless role that she had.

#41 I SEE SPIDEY, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  17. TheJL Registered

Rachel McAdams was criminally wasted talent.

I hope she returns in the sequel.

Marvel would be wasting two big talents: Portman (Thor) & McAdams (Strange).

18. Silvermoth Avenger

Oh my gosh they never renamed the thread with her characters name? So disrespectful!