Ragnarok storylines in the comics to read or re-read before the film

seahammer

Asgardian
Reaction score
I posted a version of this over in the main Thor: Ragnarok thread, but I thought it might be better to have a place just to talk about what comics we expect to see influence the movie, and a place for new readers to see what comics they should check out between now and the release. As I'm sure I'll miss some the first time around, I can keep updating this first post for people to check out.

So:
In Norse mythology, Ragnarok is the end of the world. It starts with the death of Baldur. Most of the gods die in battle (Thor is killed by Jormangund, the Midgard Serpent; Odin is killed by Fenrir the Wolf, etc), and the whole world, moon, and sun are destroyed in various ways (the sun and moon are eaten by giant wolves, for example). There is a three year winter on earth (if I remember right), but eventually the remaining gods start things over and the human race re-starts. (This was from memory, so if I made mistakes let me know and I'll fix it!)

There have been several versions of "Ragnarok" in the book, and a lot of Asgardian time and effort was spent delaying the Twilight of the Gods.

We have:
Thor Volume I #273-278
This had the death of Balder (one of my favorite covers ever, with Thor holding Balder like a pieta), mortals in Asgard (Red Norvell), etc. I don't expect this one to really influence the film since we are missing some key players, like Balder. However, I do suggest this run for anyone who likes the Thor of this era. I have fond memories of reading this as a kid (even though I never much liked Red Norvell)

Thor Volume I #349-353
Walt Simonson's "Surtur Saga." This is a biggie, and the one I think will influence the film the most. It has Loki, Thor, and Odin teaming up to stop Surtur, and is the culmination of a lot of long building plot threads. It's really a definitive part of Thor's history, and very Ragnarok-esque. (To be honest, I highly recommend reading the entire Simonsson run, which goes from 337-382. It has been a big influence on the movies so far, and it is revered for a reason!)

Thor Volume I #380
Thor vs The Midgard Serpent (his adversary in the mythological Ragnarok); Thor has been cursed by Hela with brittle bones, and is the most vulnerable he has ever been. It is not exactly a re-telling of Ragnarok, but a lot of mythological aspects of Ragnarok are referenced and incorporated. (Also, for those who haven't read it, it's a beautifully written and illustrated issue that can stand on its own.)

Thor Volume II #80-85
Oeming's tie in to Avengers Disassembled. This had Rune Thor (a super-powerful version of Thor who gained the Odinforce), the destruction of Those Who Sit Above In Shadow (who were sort of a set of "gods for the gods"), the "death" of every Asgardian (who were later resurrected after the Thor comic returned from hiatus by JMS). It's a great run, and not very long. It incorporates a number of elements and visuals from the mythology, gives wonderful closure to decades of Thor stories, and (I would guess) will have some influence on this film.

Other possibilities:
-"Ragnarok" is the name of the Thor Clone... the less said about that the better, and I hope that this film has nothing to do with that.
-Wasn't there a story in the Ultimates where Loki brings an army from the 9 realms to attack earth or something? I'd stopped reading the Ultimates by that time, but I remember seeing artwork from it online.
-There have multiple appearances of Surtur, and pretty much every time he shows up, Ragnarok is mentioned. I can add some of these later.
-Some other storyline from the comics that does not specifically deal with the Norse Ragnarok, but is very end-of-the-world-y. (think Celestials, Godbutcher, etc).
-Something completely new, not based on a storyline from the comics (like The Dark World).

I'm sure there's some that I forgot. Like I said above: if anyone tells me what I missed, I'll add it to this post. I pretty much did this from memory, except I had to look up a few issue numbers, so I'm sure it can be revised.

Discuss! Suggest! Read!

:thor::thor::thor:
:more::more::more:

Last edited:
Trying to get my hands on the 80's Simonson run, is that included in any omnibuses?

I really like Walt Simonson's run on the Thor comic! The Surtur Saga would provide great material to use in the movie.

Thor Visionaries Vol 1-5 are all Simonson

They've also re-released his entire run just this past year.

I've seen it at numerous Barnes & Noble stores - it's labeled as The Mighty Thor on the covers, and it can be found under 'Thor by Walt Simonson' on Amazon.

I'm not really a Marvel fan, or a Thor fan, but I am really excited about Thor: Ragnarok (and roll) because it looks like it might draw on more of the legendary Simonson run (mentioned by previous posters).

People say a lot about the last few years of Thor, but I doubt it can hold a candle to Simonson's incredible storylines and art - the man did for Thor what Byrne did for the Xmen in the late 70's- early 80's (three words people, Dark Phoenix Saga, although have to give Claremont some credit there).

Anyway, Simonson just ticked all the boxes, he managed to have an epic scale to his stories, but make the characters engaging, his stories were dark, but had plenty of light moments and they gave us so many great Thor characters ( Beta Ray Bill, Balder coming into his own, the Warriors three and yes, the Frog of Thunder). And of course all beautifully drawn.

Just to see Odin, Loki, and Thor standing together against Surtur would be a real goosebumps moment.

So very much to everyone who suggested that essential reading for this film is the Simonson run (might have to dig out a few old issues and relive the glory days).

I'm not really a Marvel fan, or a Thor fan, but I am really excited about Thor: Ragnarok (and roll) because it looks like it might draw on more of the legendary Simonson run (mentioned by previous posters).

People say a lot about the last few years of Thor, but I doubt it can hold a candle to Simonson's incredible storylines and art - the man did for Thor what Byrne did for the Xmen in the late 70's- early 80's (three words people, Dark Phoenix Saga, although have to give Claremont some credit there).

Well said, Batmannerism! I just finished reading the three volumes of Miller's DD Visionaries, and I was thinking, "man, Miller is to DD what Simonson is to Thor."

Anyway, Simonson just ticked all the boxes, he managed to have an epic scale to his stories, but make the characters engaging, his stories were dark, but had plenty of light moments and they gave us so many great Thor characters ( Beta Ray Bill, Balder coming into his own, the Warriors three and yes, the Frog of Thunder). And of course all beautifully drawn.

Just to see Odin, Loki, and Thor standing together against Surtur would be a real goosebumps moment.

So very much to everyone who suggested that essential reading for this film is the Simonson run (might have to dig out a few old issues and relive the glory days).

I have a nearly full Thor collection (7 issues to go!), but the Simonson issues are without a doubt the ones I dig out and revisit the most. Part of that is probably because I remember getting a lot of those as a kid (ah, nostalgia), but they really are definitive issues for Thor. IMO, Jason Aaron is (still) doing a great job on Thor, but it is doubtful there will ever be another Uncle Walt.

Well said, Batmannerism! I just finished reading the three volumes of Miller's DD Visionaries, and I was thinking, "man, Miller is to DD what Simonson is to Thor."

Good analogy ! I'd even say that what Simonson was to Thor, Giffen was to the Legion of Superheroes ( I think I've already said Byrne to the X-Men, but also Byrne to the West Coast Avengers).

Yeah, Simonson was such a talent, he made me sit up and really take notice of Thor (something I'd never done before then, and really haven't since).

The Miller DD comparison is a very solid one, nice !

I have a nearly full Thor collection (7 issues to go!), but the Simonson issues are without a doubt the ones I dig out and revisit the most. Part of that is probably because I remember getting a lot of those as a kid (ah, nostalgia), but they really are definitive issues for Thor. IMO, Jason Aaron is (still) doing a great job on Thor, but it is doubtful there will ever be another Uncle Walt.

Wow. Is that including Journey into Mystery, Thor Volume #1, 2, 3, The Mighty Thor and God of Thunder series?

Last edited:
Yeah it is. I think I was around 8 when my dad got me my first Thor comic, so it has pretty much been my only lifelong hobby, although I didn't really read or buy any comics during my high school years. I started dabbling again when I was in college, but I didn't have a pay check (or room in my dorm for much of anything) so it was slow going. These days, though, I've settled down and I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife who indulges my hobby even though she doesn't share it... and I have a birthday coming up, so I'm hoping for at least one of the issues I'm still missing! :)

Now that I'm down to just a couple more issues to get (I'm currently only missing J.I.M. #84, 87, and 88), I'm looking up any mini-series or one-shots that I might be missing. Things like Thor: Godstorm and Thor: Vikings, that sort of stuff. I have a lot of those types of issues/series already, but the ones I'm missing will be my next hunt. The good news is, that stuff is going to be much cheaper than the early JIM issues I'm rounding out right now.

Last edited:
Yeah it is. I think I was around 8 when my dad got me my first Thor comic, so it has pretty much been my only lifelong hobby, although I didn't really read or buy any comics during my high school years. I started dabbling again when I was in college, but I didn't have a pay check (or room in my dorm for much of anything) so it was slow going. These days, though, I've settled down and I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife who indulges my hobby even though she doesn't share it... and I have a birthday coming up, so I'm hoping for at least one of the issues I'm still missing! :)

Now that I'm down to just a couple more issues to get (I'm currently only missing J.I.M. #84, 87, and 88), I'm looking up any mini-series or one-shots that I might be missing. Things like Thor: Godstorm and Thor: Vikings, that sort of stuff. I have a lot of those types of issues/series already, but the ones I'm missing will be my next hunt. The good news is, that stuff is going to be much cheaper than the early JIM issues I'm rounding out right now.

WOW, first time I met someone with a bigger Thor collection than mine.

I have all full Thor runs except JIM #83, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 100, 103, 105, 106, 107.
Last 10 years i've only casually collected, and hard to find JIM in good condition.

My first Thor comic I bought was #399 and #400. I was hooked since.

WOW, first time I met someone with a bigger Thor collection than mine.

I have all full Thor runs except JIM #83, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 100, 103, 105, 106, 107.
Last 10 years i've only casually collected, and hard to find JIM in good condition.

My first Thor comic I bought was #399 and #400. I was hooked since.

That's a good collection. I hear you about finding certain JIM issues in good condition. I've got to be patient and wait for something that meets my quality standards AND has a decent price to come available.

I'll let everyone know when I finally finish my collection because "victory should be celebrated with revels." Maybe by Christmas this year, who knows.

:thor::more::thor:

SPOILERS
THOR RAGNAROK'S COMICS INSPIRATIONS:
The third film for the God of Thunder will pull from many different Marvel Comics sources.

Collider:
How Thor: Ragnarok Is Inspired by Big Trouble in Little China

The Myths and Legends Podcast
62-Thor: Hammer Time
Jason Weiser said:
Quite possibly the last episode on Norse mythology before we start on the epic showdown that is Ragnarok, this story has Thor earning a ridiculous facial feature and wetting himself in terror. Also, you shouldn't follow Loki into the wilderness, no matter how good the party he is telling you about sounds, and we'll learn how far is too far when it comes to idle, drunken boasts in the halls of the gods.
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman has long been inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction. Now he turns his attention back to the source, presenting a bravura rendition of the great northern tales. In Norse Mythology, Gaiman fashions primeval stories into a novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds; delves into the exploits of the deities, dwarves, and giants; and culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and the rebirth of a new time and people. Gaiman stays true to the myths while vividly reincarnating Odin, the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin's son, incredibly strong yet not the wisest of gods; and Loki, the son of giants, a trickster and unsurpassable manipulator. From Gaiman's deft and witty prose emerges the gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to dupe others, and their tendency to let passion ignite their actions, making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again.

I recommend these books: Ragnarok: The End of the Gods & The Norse Myths (Pantheon Fairy Tale & Folklore Library)

If you can get it, I highly recommend the Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus.

Its expensive to get, but its totally worth it. Over a 1000 pages of the best Thor ever, all in remastered color.

I could not possibly agree more, if people really want a good intro to the kind of film to expect, definitely look to Simonson. Taika Waititi has already said that the film is heavily influenced by his legendary Thor run, along with the classic art and design of Jack Kirby of course.

Walt just mentioned on his FB page that his omnibus will be re-released pretty soon too. So keep an eye out!

Cool, I need to keep my eye on that. That's one of the most classic runs there is of any character and I currently don't have a physical copy of it.

Regarding the best Thor ever, I actually do prefer the way Aaron reinvented Thor in God of Thunder though. I think he has a bit more fun personality while still remaining noble and heroic, and taking the step further into godhood and having him hear prayer was genius to me.

Was surprised he posted the news. Granted he doesn't HATE Marvel but still. I might get that too if it's not too much

Just thought of kind of a different series that covered different Ragnarok AGES where Thor was banned to Midgard
The Age of Thunder stories cover different Ragnarok ages where Thor's banned each time

Cool. Is it identical to the prior printing?

( Note: This is not to disparage the prior printing in any way, it is an awesome book well worth its high pricetag. I just wonder if they changed anything, or its just another print run so people who missed out have another chance. )

heh I'd need to save up for it

Cool. Is it identical to the prior printing?

( Note: This is not to disparage the prior printing in any way, it is an awesome book well worth its high pricetag. I just wonder if they changed anything, or its just another print run so people who missed out have another chance. )

Sorry, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"