[raises the Finger]

Just thought this thread could use a bump. [Raises the Finger], Snipe you should make this a sticky

...I know longer respect Kane as I used to, what a prick.

Its awesome to see so many people giving respect to Bill Finger. Its like a revival, we need to do this more often.

And bumped it shall be!

*Raises the Finger*

Thank you Bill Finger for creating one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, comic book character of all time... Batman.

i am SO sorry for the bob kane appreaciation thread.and to show that i am...(raises the finger)

Wow, I had no idea about this.

The guy deserves a ton more credit.

*raises finger*

So we must take credit away from one person in order to give credit to another? Interesting. I thought it was possible to give both their due credit.

Bob Kane AND Bill Finger created Batman. Both contributed to the character and his legacy. But what many of you are forgetting is that if it wasn't for your so called "prick" there'd be no Batman to begin with. So both deserve equal credit for the character.

If I ever get a chance at doing a Batman-related project professionally, I will insist that Bill Finger recieve co-creator credit!

Timstuff said:
If I ever get a chance at doing a Batman-related project professionally, I will insist that Bill Finger recieve co-creator credit!

Considering that both parties are dead and that it's already legal that Bob Kane created Batman, you're never gonna accomplish that.

Timstuff said:
Yeah, you're never gonna get a chance at doing anything Batman-related. Nor altering a byline.

What all you Kane-haters need to realise is that what he did, when he did it (1930's, 1940's) was a common everyday event in the publishing world, and was not considered a scummy thing to do at all. A publisher would hire someone like Kane, who was not a writer, to do a project, and he would hire a writer, like Finger,sit down with him and discuss the project, throw ideas back and forth, and thw writer would then go and write the story, article or book. Then the primary (Kane, in this case) would take the credit and get paid, then he would pay the ghost-writer (Finger) a standard fee. It was understood by the ghost, he would get paid for his work, but not get any profit or credit should the project be successful. Kane wasn't a scumbag, he was a product of his times. The worst thing that could be said is that he was savvy enough to make sure he got a piece of the pie should Batman succeed. I agree that Finger should get credit, but let's not build him up by tearing down Kane. I'm sure even Finger himself would tell you that.

Having said that ...

(raises the Finger)

Bathead said:
What all you Kane-haters need to realise is that what he did, when he did it (1930's, 1940's) was a common everyday event in the publishing world, and was not considered a scummy thing to do at all. A publisher would hire someone like Kane, who was not a writer, to do a project, and he would hire a writer, like Finger,sit down with him and discuss the project, throw ideas back and forth, and thw writer would then go and write the story, article or book. Then the primary (Kane, in this case) would take the credit and get paid, then he would pay the ghost-writer (Finger) a standard fee. It was understood by the ghost, he would get paid for his work, but not get any profit or credit should the project be successful. Kane wasn't a scumbag, he was a product of his times. The worst thing that could be said is that he was savvy enough to make sure he got a piece of the pie should Batman succeed. I agree that Finger should get credit, but let's not build him up by tearing down Kane. I'm sure even Finger himself would tell you that.

Having said that ...

(raises the Finger)

i half agree with you here. yes, this was standard practice. and no kane shouldnt be torn down, his contribution should be equally recognized. but..kane was still an assh0le. i've talked to numerous people who have met him, and they all pretty much said he was a jerk. and, if he truly wanted to, while he was still living, he could have gotten finger the credit he deserved so by line would always read "batman created by bob kane and bill finger"...if he wanted to, he coulda done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"