[raises the Finger]

Timstuff said:
If I ever get a chance at doing a Batman-related project professionally, I will insist that Bill Finger recieve co-creator credit!

wont happen. theres nothing DC can do about that. the only people who could get it changed would be the kane estate...and good f**king luck with that (though, that shouldnt stop anyone from trying...im planning on working for DC in the near future, and i know i'll do what i can). although, what i HAVE seen done in comics before (i believe it was in the dini/ross batman war on crime) is "batman created by bob kane, with special thanks to bill finger"...therefore, he is not being credited for the creation, but still being recognized in some fashion.

Motown Marvel said:
and, if he truly wanted to, while he was still living, he could have gotten finger the credit he deserved so by line would always read "batman created by bob kane and bill finger"...if he wanted to, he coulda done that.

Or Finger could have fought for credit and royalties if he really felt he played a huge role in the creation of Batman :o

Spidey-Bat said:
Or Finger could have fought for credit and royalties if he really felt he played a huge role in the creation of Batman :o

bill finger wasnt the type of man to demand credit. not once did he ever bring it up to kane. not because he didnt want it or think he didnt deserve it, he was just the old fashion type of man who didnt ask for things. but, it would have been civil and generous of kane to give it to him once the character took off....kane died a millionaire. finger died penniless.

What all you Kane-haters need to realise is that what he did, when he did it (1930's, 1940's) was a common everyday event in the publishing world, and was not considered a scummy thing to do at all. A publisher would hire someone like Kane, who was not a writer, to do a project, and he would hire a writer, like Finger,sit down with him and discuss the project, throw ideas back and forth, and thw writer would then go and write the story, article or book. Then the primary (Kane, in this case) would take the credit and get paid, then he would pay the ghost-writer (Finger) a standard fee. It was understood by the ghost, he would get paid for his work, but not get any profit or credit should the project be successful. Kane wasn't a scumbag, he was a product of his times. The worst thing that could be said is that he was savvy enough to make sure he got a piece of the pie should Batman succeed. I agree that Finger should get credit, but let's not build him up by tearing down Kane. I'm sure even Finger himself would tell you that.

Yup.......

People like to ignore that batman was the begininng.......there were no such cases of "by line" problems b/c there had been no superheroes before batman other than Superman.......but, go ahead....ignorance is bliss I guess.

i half agree with you here. yes, this was standard practice. and no kane shouldnt be torn down, his contribution should be equally recognized. but..kane was still an assh0le. i've talked to numerous people who have met him, and they all pretty much said he was a jerk. and, if he truly wanted to, while he was still living, he could have gotten finger the credit he deserved so by line would always read "batman created by bob kane and bill finger"...if he wanted to, he coulda done that.

I've heard Finger was a total prick too.........but what does it matter?

I never hear about HOW Finger felt about all of it........it's like he didn't care. Am I wrong about that?

REAL fans know they both created Batman....that's all that matters.

wont happen. theres nothing DC can do about that. the only people who could get it changed would be the kane estate...and good f**king luck with that (though, that shouldnt stop anyone from trying...im planning on working for DC in the near future, and i know i'll do what i can). although, what i HAVE seen done in comics before (i believe it was in the dini/ross batman war on crime) is "batman created by bob kane, with special thanks to bill finger"...therefore, he is not being credited for the creation, but still being recognized in some fashion.

I hope to be a DC artist someday.....and I have no reason whatsoever to try and fight for Finger.....simply b/c DC cannot do anything. The Kane estate won't do anything.......would any other?

bill finger wasnt the type of man to demand credit. not once did he ever bring it up to kane. not because he didnt want it or think he didnt deserve it, he was just the old fashion type of man who didnt ask for things. but, it would have been civil and generous of kane to give it to him once the character took off....kane died a millionaire. finger died penniless.

Did you ever consider that Kane actually created batman? Not everything....but just the guy in the suit.....and he got credited with that.

Kane actually did feel guilty.....he said so before he died.

Maybe Finger didn't care? I mean.....it is possible, right?

Finger worked on other great characters like Green Lantern........I think him dying penniless couldn't have really been ALL Kane's fault.......I think Finger needs to take some blame atleast for that....

this is really a sad subject I think.....

I'm giving everyone the finger. Fingering galore.

Where the hell is my sig?

Catman said:
It would be great for Bill Finger to be acknowledged, but it will never make-up for anything. You see Finger is dead and he's been dead since 1974. For this to mean anything he should have been credited when he was still alive. It would have been great that before he passed away he would not only gotten credit, but seen Batman return to his dark roots.

[RAISES FINGER]

By the way, Frank Miller does acknowledge Bill Finger. Notice how he usually writes "Special Thanks to Bill Finger" in his Batman comics.

We should all follow in Miller's steps and have it say "Batman Created by Bob Kane with a special thanks to Bill Finger"

Every Batman comic should at least say that! "Very special thanks to Bill Finger!"

Spidey-Bat said:

Bill Finger DID speak out about it publicly! Bob Kane said Bill Finger had "Hallucinations of grandeur. The truth is that Bill Finger is taking credit for much more than he deserves. The fact is that I conceived the Batman figure and costume entirely by myself. Was all my idea." He also said "If Bill Finger created Batman, where is Bill Finger 's byline?" http://www.twomorrows.com/comicbook...rows.com/comicbookartist/articles/03kane.html

theMan-Bat said:
Bill Finger DID speak out about it publicly! Bob Kane said Bill Finger had "Hallucinations of grandeur. The truth is that Bill Finger is taking credit for much more than he deserves. The fact is that I conceived the Batman figure and costume entirely by myself. Was all my idea." He also said "If Bill Finger created Batman, where is Bill Finger 's byline?" http://www.twomorrows.com/comicbook...rows.com/comicbookartist/articles/03kane.html

and he later wrote in his memoirs that bill deserved credit. excerpts of those quites can be read at the link in my sig, or RAISE THE FINGER!

So Kane has admitted Finger deserves credit. What more do you ask?

people should read the graphic novel BOX OFFICE POISON.. it is pretty much an ode to bill finger.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Well, who's job is that get done?
DC.

Of course, Finger should've sued DC for credit about 50 years ago...

Spidey-Bat said:
He gets credit from the people who matter. Isn't that enough?

When you open up a batman comic it says created by Bob Kane. When in all factuality it was Bob Kane and Bill Finger. If it wasnt for Finger Batman would be some Zorro look a like. We just want him to get that co-creator tag.

Darthphere said:
When you open up a batman comic it says created by Bob Kane. When in all factuality it was Bob Kane and Bill Finger. If it wasnt for Finger Batman would be some Zorro look a like. We just want him to get that co-creator tag.
Do you really need to see the "Co-created by Bill Finger" to know he helped?

I agree. It was Bill Finger who drew the first picture of the real Batman.

When you open a Batman comic book it should say "created by Bob Kane & Bill Finger."

Spidey-Bat said:
Do you really need to see the "Co-created by Bill Finger" to know he helped?

I dont know why you keep prodding but its the same thing as if you did a business presentation and worked on it with a buddy and when he turned in the report its missing your name giving your buddy full credit. But according to you, you dont need to see your name on the report to know you helped, and youd be just as happy watching your pal take credit for work both of you did.

Darthphere said:
I dont know why you keep prodding but its the same thing as if you did a business presentation and worked on it with a buddy and when he turned in the report its missing your name giving your buddy full credit. But according to you, you dont need to see your name on the report to know you helped, and youd be just as happy watching your pal take credit for work both of you did.
It was obviously ok with Finger, otherwise he would have taken legal action.

Spidey-Bat said:
It was obviously ok with Finger, otherwise he would have taken legal action.

Are you being dense on purpose? We never said Finger wanted it, for the msot part we want it for him. He deserves the credit and we'll keep saying so until he does. If you dont like the fact that were trying to give a man some credit here for a greatc character thats fine, but im not and otheres arent either.

Darthphere said:
Are you being dense on purpose? We never said Finger wanted it, for the msot part we want it for him. He deserves the credit and we'll keep saying so until he does. If you dont like the fact that were trying to give a man some credit here for a greatc character thats fine, but im not and otheres arent either.
So wait, going back to your business analogy...

If I wrote a report, and said I didn't want my name on it for whichever reason, you would go against my wishes and force my name onto the report?

I'm not saying that's the case with Finger, exactly, but my opinion has always been while he should be credited, since he (to my knowledge, at least) did very little to see that he got credit, I don't see why I, or anyone else, should have to bash down DC's doors in his honor.

Darthphere said:
You call me dense yet I'm not one fighting to give a dead man credit when he obviously didn't want it when he was alive.

I have no problem with wanting to give Finger credit, but I don't agree with the means. This thread is mainly Kane bashing. If you all didn't realize there wouldn't be a Batman today had Kane not had his original idea, no matter how bad it may have been.

CConn said:
So wait, going back to your business analogy...

If I wrote a report, and said I didn't want my name on it for whichever reason, you would go against my wishes and force my name onto the report?

I'm not saying that's the case with Finger, exactly, but my opinion has always been while he should be credited, since he (to my knowledge, at least) did very little to see that he got credit, I don't see why I, or anyone else, should have to bash down DC's doors in his honor.

Well, to my knowledge nobody hasnt done anything equating to bashing DC's door down. It mostly sticks to this thread and the Raise the Finger in my sig. Apparently that bothers some people. On my part I worte an e-mail to someoen at DC like 2 years ago and havent really done anything since. Its not like were picketing outside DC's offices or anything like that. Its just discussion here within this thread mostly. I didnt know that bothered so many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"