Marvel Films Rank female solo or team Marvel films

The fact that Marvels females movies....2 have been "prequels" and one a team up movie....

Well, Id likely rank them the same.
1. Black Widow
2. Captain Marvel
3. The Marvels

I wonder what the 3rd female will be to get her own solo movie from the MCU

Can't believe there are so few.

1. Black Widow
2. Elektra
3. Captain Marvel
4. The Marvels

Yeah uh, that's not going to be a very popular opinion, but it's how I feel in my trashiest of trashy hearts. I have massive nostalgia for Elektra, which probably makes it more memorable to me than either of the Captain Marvel movies, which are perfectly fine but their corporate-coded blandness just doesn't wake ANY emotions in me. Elektra is a mess, but I love Jennifer Garner and the intimate stakes of the movie's supernatural thriller tone. It's not a great film by any stretch, but I feel like if it came out now, it might be received a little bit better. Just a tad.

The Marvels flopping won't increase the chances of solo movie for Kamala Khan, She-Hulk, the Scarlet Witch and Squirrel Girl. Storm and Invisible Woman are first and foremost members of a superhero team and aren't as popular as someone like the Wolverine, so branching them out for a solo movie would take a lot for those to happen.

If Sony and Marvel Studios works out a deal to make a Marvel Studios' Spider-Woman, then that would be great. Could be successful if the movie is good.

I was interested in a solo film for Black Cat and Silver Sabre, and their team up film (Black & Silver) from Sony, but thats unlikely to happen at this point.

An all female X-Men or Avengers team movie would be too gimmicky for a lot of people, so i doubt those would happen. I'd like to see Marvel Studios' X-Women though.

Captain Marvel 3 is likely dead at this point. The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) should have been released much earlier.

Seen:

MV5BNjRmNDI5MjMtMmFhZi00YzcwLWI4ZGItMGI2MjI0N2Q3YmIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg
MV5BNTM4NjIxNmEtYWE5NS00NDczLTkyNWQtYThhNmQyZGQzMjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg
MV5BMTE0YWFmOTMtYTU2ZS00ZTIxLWE3OTEtYTNiYzBkZjViZThiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMzMzQ4OTI@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg
MV5BMmZmYTgwZGItNDIxMS00MmRkLWEzODQtYTllNzM0ZWE1NmQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODQzNTE3ODc@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg

1) Black Widow (2021)
2) Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)
3) Captain Marvel (2019)
4) Dark Phoenix (2019)

Haven't seen:

MV5BM2U2YWU5NWMtOGI2Ni00MGMwLWFkNjItMjgyZWMxNjllNTMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg
MV5BMTExZmVjY2ItYTAzYi00MDdlLWFlOWItNTJhMDRjMzQ5ZGY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIyOTEyMzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg
MV5BZDQ2NTdmNDgtMGIwMS00ODE2LTk5M2EtZGZhYzc4MWRlNTU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc4MjczMTM@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg

The Marvels (2023) (Carol Danvers, played by Brie Larson)
Eternals (2021) (Sersi, played by Gemma Chan)
The New Mutants (2020) (Dani Moonstar, played by Blu Hunt)

...and it's been so long since I've seen Elektra (2005) I don't really remember it anymore.

MV5BMTI3MTUwNzM5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzczMDIzMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX175_.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how I'd rank them but I like (but not love) most of them. I'd add Birds of Prey too, which had the best Harley so far.

Can't believe there are so few.

1. Black Widow
2. Elektra
3. Captain Marvel
4. The Marvels

Yeah uh, that's not going to be a very popular opinion, but it's how I feel in my trashiest of trashy hearts. I have massive nostalgia for Elektra, which probably makes it more memorable to me than either of the Captain Marvel movies, which are perfectly fine but their corporate-coded blandness just doesn't wake ANY emotions in me. Elektra is a mess, but I love Jennifer Garner and the intimate stakes of the movie's supernatural thriller tone. It's not a great film by any stretch, but I feel like if it came out now, it might be received a little bit better. Just a tad.
Catwoman? :D

I was also a big Jennifer Garner fan at the time Elektra came out. I think she could have done great with the character but pretty hard to do that with the material in that film. Still enjoyable in a trashy way as you say. :smilingeyes:(hopefully she features in Secret Wars) Elodie Yung also I think could have been good with top quality material.

Why you guys forgetting about Wakanda Forever?
It is neither a solo film nor a female team up.

Personally speaking, I found it as a film for T'Challa's supporting characters, the Black Panther characters. Its hard for me to view as a solo film when Shuri was not intended to be the lead of that film in the first place, but somehow had to use the Black Panther mantle.

Catwoman? :D

I was also a big Jennifer Garner fan at the time Elektra came out. I think she could have done great with the character but pretty hard to do that with the material in that film. Still enjoyable in a trashy way as you say. :smilingeyes:(hopefully she features in Secret Wars) Elodie Yung also I think could have been good with top quality material.

It would be interesting to rank Catwoman and other DC productions among these films if the thread wasn't specifically about Marvel's female-fronted films. It might as well be both, as few as there are in total.

You're so right, it would be amazing to see both Jennifer and Elodie going further, at least in Secret Wars.

Is there a nostalgia thread for the trashy but supremely fun superhero movies of the early 2000s? There should be, there's something uniquely terrible but equally lovable about Elektra, Catwoman, X-Men: The Last Stand, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, etc.

It is neither a solo film nor a female team up.

Personally speaking, I found it as a film for T'Challa's supporting characters, the Black Panther characters. Its hard for me to view as a solo film when Shuri was not intended to be the lead of that film in the first place, but somehow had to use the Black Panther mantle.

Shuri's screentime is comparable to other solo movie heroes. She has more than T'challa in the first BP and several other characters in their respective solo movies.

And the only man who gets significant screen time in WF is Namor, who is the villain (and who still has less screentime than Red Guardian in BW and the same amount as Nick Fury in CM). In terms of heroes the screentime is dominated by women.

Princess Shuri / Black Panther <57:30>
King K'uk'ulkan / Namor <22:30>
Queen Ramonda <19:45>
Okoye <16>
Riri Williams / Ironheart <15>
Nakia <14>
M'Baku <8:15>
Agent Everett Ross <5:45>

Shuri's screentime is comparable to other solo movie heroes. She has more than T'challa in the first BP and several other characters in their respective solo movies.

And the only man who gets significant screen time in WF is Namor, who is the villain (and who still has less screentime than Red Guardian in BW and the same amount as Nick Fury in CM). In terms of heroes the screentime is dominated by women.

Princess Shuri / Black Panther <57:30>
King K'uk'ulkan / Namor <22:30>
Queen Ramonda <19:45>
Okoye <16>
Riri Williams / Ironheart <15>
Nakia <14>
M'Baku <8:15>
Agent Everett Ross <5:45>

You could argue that its a Shuri film based on her screentime, but it doesn't changed the fact that it was an originally a film for T'Challa as the lead.

I still don't view it as a solo Shuri film. I view it as a continuation of the first Bp film without Chadwick, and featuring the supporting characters of that film. Also, in all films, someone will always get the most screentime (see Avengers, X-Men, F4).

You could argue that its a Shuri film based on her screentime, but it doesn't changed the fact that it was an originally a film for T'Challa as the lead.

I still don't view it as a solo film. I view it as a continuation of the first Bp film without Chadwick. Also, in all films, someone will always get the most screentime (see Avengers, X-Men, F4).

Can't say I really understand that way of seeing it, but you do you I guess.

Can't say I really understand that way of seeing it, but you do you I guess.
Its a not solo film for me, especially in the traditional way of a solo film. I classify it as a Black Panther movie with T'Challa's supporting characters and a Wakanda movie feat. T'Challa's supporting characters.

That being said, I'm not stopping you to rank it with other female solo or team Marvel films. I merely answered your post about why Wakanda Forever isn't included, since I started this thread.

Shuri is the main character of BP2, both in terms of story and screentime. She is the protagonist - who comes into conflict with the antagonist, Namor.

Movies change actors or characters all the time for various reasons during pre-production, production, and post-production. Does Rachel Dawes not count as the female lead of The Dark Knight because Katie Holmes left and was replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal? Seems like an odd notion to me.

Shuri is the main character of BP2, both in terms of story and screentime. She is the protagonist - who comes into conflict with the antagonist, Namor.

Movies change actors or characters all the time for various reasons during pre-production, production, and post-production. Does Rachel Dawes not count as the female lead of The Dark Knight because Katie Holmes left and was replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal? Seems like an odd notion to me.
Again, its how I see things.

I didn't question you when you included the New Mutants and Dark PhoeniX. But since I responded to your post. Let me clarify, those films aren't female solo films or a female team up films as well. There's a difference between a female solo film and a film with a female lead.

Sophie Turner wasn't billed first in Dark PhoeniX and outside North America, its called X-Men Dark PhoeniX. Its still a X-Men movie, not a Jean Grey movie.

The New Mutants consists of five mutants as the protagonists, two of those are male. Its not an Illyana or Dani Moonstar movie.

Again, its how I see things.

I didn't question you when you included the New Mutants and Dark PhoeniX. But since I responded to your post. Let me clarify, those films aren't female solo films or a female team up films as well. There's a difference between a female solo film and a film with a female lead.

Sophie Turner wasn't billed first in Dark PhoeniX and outside North America, its called X-Men Dark PhoeniX. Its still a X-Men movie, not a Jean Grey movie.

The New Mutants consists of five mutants as the protagonists, two of those are male. Its not an Illyana or Dani Moonstar movie.
And Eternals is also not a female solo film.

Thats like saying Avengers 1 to 4 and all X-Men team films are male solo films because Rdj, Hugh and McAvoy were the lead star.

I agree that Eternals, Dark Phoenix, and New Mutants are not female solo films, although it is worth noting that Sersi has the same amount of screentime as Star-Lord has in GotG Vol 1, which is considerably more screentime than Iron-man has in any of the Avengers films, than Star-Lord has in GotG Vol 2, than Captain America has in Civil War, than Ant-man has in AMatW, and than Thor has in The Dark World (wtf was going on with that movie? TDW wasn't even a team up!). In fact she's less than two minutes shy of what T'Challa has in the first Black Panther.

Last edited:
Sersi was definitely the lead character of that movie. Its a shame that the film was the first rotten film of the MCU and the first MCU film to receive a B cinemascore. With so many happenings under Disney and Marvel Studios, I think Eternals II would be last of their priorities.

Who knows like Tron, Disney would release Eternals: Ares after a decade.

The Marvels flopping won't increase the chances of solo movie for Kamala Khan, She-Hulk, the Scarlet Witch and Squirrel Girl. Storm and Invisible Woman are first and foremost members of a superhero team and aren't as popular as someone like the Wolverine, so branching them out for a solo movie would take a lot for those to happen.

If Sony and Marvel Studios works out a deal to make a Marvel Studios' Spider-Woman, then that would be great. Could be successful if the movie is good.

I was interested in a solo film for Black Cat and Silver Sabre, and their team up film (Black & Silver) from Sony, but thats unlikely to happen at this point.

An all female X-Men or Avengers team movie would be too gimmicky for a lot of people, so i doubt those would happen. I'd like to see Marvel Studios' X-Women though.

Captain Marvel 3 is likely dead at this point. The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2) should have been released much earlier.
I really want to see Black Cat asap, preferably in the MCU. Sable too.

For X-Men it would be easy to have a majority female field team if you had Cyclops and Beast in there. For eg Storm, Jean, Rogue and Pyslocke. Also you could have Jubilee and Kitty (and Iceman) as students. With that you'd have a 4-2 split on the field team and an overall 6-3 split including main students and that could be quite natural for X-Men.

It would be interesting to rank Catwoman and other DC productions among these films if the thread wasn't specifically about Marvel's female-fronted films. It might as well be both, as few as there are in total.

You're so right, it would be amazing to see both Jennifer and Elodie going further, at least in Secret Wars.

Is there a nostalgia thread for the trashy but supremely fun superhero movies of the early 2000s? There should be, there's something uniquely terrible but equally lovable about Elektra, Catwoman, X-Men: The Last Stand, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, etc.
Oh I didn't clock that it was just Marvel, kind of obvious with it being in the Marvel section lol.

I don't know how Secret Wars will handle it but it could be interesting to see how multiple versions of the same character react to each other. I guess NWH already did that but any excuse to get both Garner and Yung.

Haha yeah, there should be one if not (feel free to make one). There are enough fans of them for there to be interest.

1. Black Widow
2. Captain Marvel
3. The Marvels
4. Madame Web
5. Elektra

Hmm I might be putting Madame Web above Elektra because it is more recent, but it is definitely not as dull as Elektra.

1. Captain Marvel/Wakanda Forever
2. Black Widow
3. The Marvels
4. Elektra

1. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
2. Black Widow
3. Captain Marvel
4. The Marvels
5. Elektra

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts