Rank the 2016 Comic Book Movies

Says the guy who loves MoS, BvS and SS. LOL!

And I don't even care that you sneer at me because of that.
3.gif

And what's the DCEU? Underwhelming, underdeveloped, and wasteful of its cast and characters.

The quality of DCEU does not have anyting to do with over-rated-ness of MCU. People over-praised Avengers and such before there was any DCEU. Even if DCEU did not exist, I'd not consider MCU to be something great.

nah...not all of it. cap2 was a great movie. better than cap3, in my opinion
Depends on the point of view. Cap 2 was good, but a lot of people put it on the TDK level of fantastic, which in my eyes, is over-rating of Cap 2.

Whole MCU is overrated, you'll get used to it... or maybe not, like me. :woot:

Saying that something is overrated is overrated. In fact,it won't change all the critical and commercial acclaim it's gotten so far. Meanwhile DC movies are alienating even their truest fans. Just ask The Joker on these very boards.

Depends on the point of view. Cap 2 was good, but a lot of people put it on the TDK level of fantastic, which in my eyes, is over-rating of Cap 2.
yeah I dunno if I could say it's that good but as a captain america movie imo it's definitely better than cap3

I think he's saying if the MCU is overrated, what does that mean about DCEU (i.e. sufficiently rated)?

1.X-Men Apocalypse
2.Suicide Squad
3.Captain America:Civil War
4.Deadpool
5.TMNT: Out of the Shadows

6.BvS

Not interested in Doctor Strange. It was an ok year for comic book films but there still hasn't been a great one since Days of Future Past in my opinion.

Last edited:
So.....Marvel fans love Marvel movies.....DC fans love DC movies.....comic book superhero fans like and dislike movies from both sides.......and here we go again.

So.....Marvel fans love Marvel movies.....DC fans love DC movies.....comic book superhero fans like and dislike movies from both sides.......and here we go again.
What happens when your favorite heroes are Superman, Batman and Wally West, but you are finding more enjoyment out of the Marvel movies fullstop?

If there is one thing I love about the MCU, is how much more it got me into Cap and Thor. Not just them, but there extended cast, like Sif (and her tragically short run in JIM). It was also why I gave the fraction Hawkeye comic a try. A very good thing. :yay:

The MCU does its characters justice.

The DCEU turns Superman into a cynical, nihilistic fraggle who has no faith in humanity or himself... and Batman into a sadistic murderer.

There simply is no comparison as far as I'm concerned.

The MCU does its characters justice.

The DCEU turns Superman into a cynical, nihilistic fraggle who has no faith in humanity or himself... and Batman into a sadistic murderer.

There simply is no comparison as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. What I think what the MCU does its do its audience a service by adapting Marvel characters into forms that a cinema audience can relate to and engage with - is that "doing them justice" ?

Strictly speaking the MCU characters are a mishmash of mainstream and Ultimate marvel forms - but hey, that mishmash works. I think it works because they are able to put slavish adherence to the comics aside and instead take the bare essence of the character and build up their characterization from there.

The DCEU does not do this. Do they even think "hmmm....what would the audience enjoy in a movie about Batman and Superman in conflict with each other ?" It doesn't seem that they do. They certainly don't get even the basic essence of their major characters correct - I'm not saying that there's one single definitive way of interpreting these characters, a "right way".

No, there are plenty of right ways - so long as the essence of the character is there (what makes Batman....Batman, ). In B v S Superman, Batman and Lex Luthor weren't just alternative characterizations (because a different take on such classic characters is generally refreshing and interesting - check out Mark Millar's " Red Son" ). Rather, in B v S were some characters who looked like their comic book counterparts (well except Luthor), but didn't have the same essential characteristics that made those characters compelling ( maybe Batman was about 50-60% right, with the exception of all the deliberate killing and the plan to assassinate Superman). I can't speak for Wonder Woman, as hers is more of an extended cameo - other than look tough and hot, and fight she doesn't do a lot else.

I guess if you look at it that way, there really is no comparison. Whether either studio is doing the characters "justice" I'm not really sure - but whether the MCU characters are more engaging than the current DCEU characters, well I'm completely sure of that.

I think they do them justice because as like you said, whilst they are not strictly 100% accurate to the comics in every way, the core essence of these characters remain.

Take Cap and Superman for example. Both have been criticised by some for being corny, boring boy scouts. But Marvel showed faith in their character. They kept him as the naturally altruistic boy scout.

They are not ashamed to show Steve Rogers as a guy who is just naturally righteous and idealistic, even to a fault sometimes. Instead of catering to the people who think he's lame and corny by changing who he is and adding unnecessary cynicism... they stayed true to who he is and tried to change those people's minds through strong characterisation.

Whereas WB/DC did fold. They did cater to the people who think Superman is corny and boring and over powered (well Snyder has admitted to being one of those people!). They showed a distinct lack of faith in Superman. So they made him more cynical.

Well I'll agree in that Marvel has yet to make something as bad as Batman v Superman. However, that certainly doesn't mean the MCU is perfect. The big problem I have with the MCU has been their character development. Yes, they've done a great job with developing Tony Stark. You understand what motivates that character, and where he's coming from. I would also say for the most part Peter Quill from GOTG was handeled well, but that's it.

Even though they've been in multiple films I barely know Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and especially Vision. I just think back to the scene in Civil War where Black Widow helps Cap, why did she do that? It comes out of nowhere and is completely unmotivated. Yes, she's a double agent but if she's going to double cross someone there has to be a reason for it, especially if she sided with someone else against that friend. Then there are characters like Thor that are just dull and boring. I actually found Thor to be more charasmatic, and fun in the short that was recently released than in any of the films that've been put out.

Please don't get me wrong I do enjoy some of Marvel's output but when the characters are barely sketched out, how am I supposed to care about them fighting each other in Civil War? How am I supposed to sympathize with Cap in regards to Bucky when the films have done a poor job in making the audience sympathize with Bucky? Character is a big ingredient to making these kinds of films work, and I hope the MCU can fix this problem.

Last edited:
I think they do them justice because as like you said, whilst they are not strictly 100% accurate to the comics in every way, the core essence of these characters remain.

Take Cap and Superman for example. Both have been criticised by some for being corny, boring boy scouts. But Marvel showed faith in their character. They kept him as the naturally altruistic boy scout.

They are not ashamed to show Steve Rogers as a guy who is just naturally righteous and idealistic, even to a fault sometimes. Instead of catering to the people who think he's lame and corny by changing who he is and adding unnecessary cynicism... they stayed true to who he is and tried to change those people's minds through strong characterisation.

Whereas WB/DC did fold. They did cater to the people who think Superman is corny and boring and over powered (well Snyder has admitted to being one of those people!). They showed a distinct lack of faith in Superman. So they made him more cynical.

Fair comment ! If I was to paraphrase what you've said MCU Cap retains the essence of the character - and , for the record I've always found him to be boring, at least until Winter Soldier- despite the grumbling of people like me.

Grudgingly I have to admit that this approach works a hell of a lot better than the current cinematic Superman - and as Much as it pains me to say it, it makes Cap a better character.

So count me as a rare species of individuals who actually enjoyed ALL of the CBM's of 2016 to varying degrees. I loved to liked all of them.

1. Civil War: Marvel's best film. Hands down. A great culmination of the MCU, great writing, great characters, cool action set pieces, Black Panther, Spider-man. Very few nitpicks about this one.

2. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition:
I walked out of the theater in March a disappointed Zack Snyder fan. I was baffled at the mess of a movie I had just watched. When the "complete edition" was released I was completely ELATED with what I believe is a bold, dark, ambitious superhero epic. Obviously, not for everyone, we'll just leave it at that, but boy was I incredibly happy with this version of the film and its one that left a lasting impression on me and constantly think about.

3. Deadpool: A great surprise. An action comedy with a surprising amount of heart. Some of the jokes fall flat but Reynolds gave his all and the film is very tight and focused and, again, a lot of heart. Something about the end of the movie where they pan out of Reynolds and Baccarin kissing to "Careless Whisper" just got me in the feels and I walked out of the theater with a smile on my face.

4. Xmen Apocalypse: LOVED this movie. With BvS, I could see why people have a strong negative reaction to it. Suicide Squad, I could see it. With X:A, I've been trying real hard and I just cannot wrap my head around the strong negative reaction to this movie. Its not Days of Future Past or First Class but, man, this is a SOLID film that gives X-Men fans stuff we've waited years to see realized onscreen. The Weapon X sequence alone is worth the price of admission. Quicksilver's awesomely entertaining mansion sequence is so damn fun, the FC cast is as charming as ever in their roles (except Lawrence who admittedly slept through the movie), the new young X-men were charming, too, that heartbreaking Magneto forest scene and THE F***ING PHOENIX!!! I don't see how any X-men fans weren't fist pumping when that moment happened in the climax especially after how badly they botched the Phoenix in The Last Stand. As a 90's kid who grew up on X-men, this movie fan serviced the s*** out of me. Yes, Apocalypse himself wasn't perfectly realized and some of his makeup was problematic, and there are some pacing issues with the film but, c'mon, people, lighten up, this was a FUN, competently made, well acted film.

5. Suicide Squad: A fun mess of a movie. Nuff Said. The plot and villain are a mess but the characters saved it through their charm and chemistry. I enjoyed it more the second time around.

6. Doctor Strange: I enjoyed this movie but, admittedly, was a little disappointed. I wanted more out of it, and it felt like, to me, the opening act of the REAL Dr. Strange movie that we'll get sometime down the line. Again, its another competently made effort from Marvel but I feel a stronger effort could've been made to make it a little edgier and grandiose but I understand why they held back for now.

Last edited:
With BvS, I could see why people have a strong negative reaction to it. Suicide Squad, I could see it. With X:A, I've been trying real hard and I just cannot wrap my head around the strong negative reaction to this movie. Its not Days of Future Past or First Class but, man, this is a SOLID film that gives X-Men fans stuff we've waited years to see realized onscreen.

Absolutely, I enjoyed the film quite a bit. It also has the best cinematography of all the comic book films this year. I loved how bright, and colorful it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"