Rank the Superman films

Now including animated films (not team ups with Batman of JL though)

The Last Son of Krypton (Superman TAS) 10/10
Man of Steel 9.5/10
Superman the Movie 9/10
All Star Superman 9/10
Superman vs the Elite 9/10
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut 8.5/10
Superman II 8/10
Superman Unbound 7.5/10
Superman III 7.5/10
Superman Doomsday 7/10
Superman Returns 7/10
Supergirl 6/10
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace 4/10

Was bored at work so thought why not, hope I haven't missed any.

You give MoS a 10/10 in your signature. o_O

See I don't get that with STM at all, it definitely feels like a complete film for me. Yeah sure we're introduced to the sequels villains early in the film but it has its reasons to be there even for the first film. As Jor El is threatened with the same fate after he warns the Kryptonian's the planet is doomed. Infact the villains been introduced here is no different than the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins.

You give MoS a 10/10 in your signature. o_O

Ha ha I'm now on the mobile version so I never see it but it was a 10/10 the first time I was caught up in it all but it lost a .5 somewhere along the way. I guess it can depend on my mood, I think a 10 is saying you can't better it which in any case is probably never true. However on the Superman scale I do think the STAS LSOK movie is the best Superman origin ever so thats why I gave that one a 10.

Edit: took the score out but my statement still stands.

1. Man of Steel
2. Superman II
3. Superman TM
4. Superman Returns
5. Superman IV
6. Superman III (I've never been able to sit through this whole movie so that's why it's lower than QFP, which I watched on TV as a kid all the time).

Superman/Superman II -These are tied since I consider them to be two halves of the one story; a huge Superman odyssey that touches upon and distills every timeless aspect of the character and his world.
Just lovely, classic stuff.

Man of Steel - Massively flawed, but definitely a step in the right direction.

Superman Returns - Ehhhhhhhh... bleh. But, hey, it has beautiful cinematography and I love the plane sequence.

Superman III - The majesty of the first two films diluted into trashy slapstick.

Superman IV - Not only the worst Superman movie but, IMO, the very, VERY worst comic book film ever made)

Live action:
  1. Man of Steel
  2. Superman
  3. Superman II
  4. Superman Returns
  5. Superman III
  6. Superman IV

Animated:
  1. Superman: Doomsday
  2. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  3. Last Son of Krypton 1-3
  4. Superman/Batman: World's Finest
  5. All Stars Superman
  6. Superman: Unbound
  7. Superman vs the Elite

Man...we're ranking animated too? I'll have to think about that.

Hmm. I thought all the Superman animated movies were pretty bad. (All-Star Superman had its great moments)

I just can't get into DC cartoons for some reason...

Having just watched it again on Blu Ray I'm starting to think my original score of a 10 was justified lol

I completely agree with this.
Along with The Dark Knight (a completely different beast), Man of Steel is my favorite comic book movie.

Yes, there's room for improvement, but it was just too enjoyable for me in subsequent re-watches.

Nice :up:

I think its always a good thing to leave a little room for improvement. If a film was perfect that leaves virtually nowhere to go in a sequel. MOS and TDK are about as perfect as it gets in my opinion.

Man of Steel
Superman Returns

Superman II
Superman The Movie

The OP didn't count them
I saw others do that, I followed suit just for the fun of it
lol...No worries. :yay: I just can't rank the cartoons. If I did I'd have to include individual episodes from STAS, JL, and JLU...and Fleischer for that matter. There are some great individual episodes of STAS for instance. The Late Mr. Kent and Brave New Metropolis were really awesome, but they're not movies...just 22 minute episodes. So I can't do it....lol

Hmm. I thought all the Superman animated movies were pretty bad. (All-Star Superman had its great moments)

I just can't get into DC cartoons for some reason...
What is it about DC cartoons? Or can you not get into any cartoons?

Well I like Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park, and when I was kid I liked Digimon, Pokemon, etc.

Something about the DC animated movies just puts me to sleep. It's probably a combination of art-style, voice acting, music, and sfx that I find bland.

So DC movies & DC comics >> DC cartoons, for me.

Last edited:
Well I like Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park, and when I was kid I liked Digimon, Pokemon, etc.

Something about the DC animated movies just puts me to sleep. It's probably a combination of art-style, voice acting, music, and sfx that I find bland.

So DC movies & DC comics >> DC cartoons, for me.
That's interesting. How long have your been reading comics? I know there are some people who don't like the Timm-verse cartoons, but most of the younger fans I have met came to DC via the cartoons, so I'm assuming you're older. Most of the people I know who don't like the cartoons are older. For whatever reason it didn't vibe with them, so perhaps that's it.

I'm actually in my mid twenties. I didn't watch the Timm-verse cartoons growing up and just watched for the first time a couple years ago along with the animated movies (which is around the same time I also started reading comics). The cartoons didn't do anything for me yet the comics do.

Yeah, I've heard that before.

Meh...they're not for everyone. Certainly makes it easy to rank stuff like this. I couldn't even add the cartoon to the list. That might take me all night and I need some sleep...lol

Last edited:
I don't mean to get this thread any further off topic but I happen to be lurking here and I have to ask this question.

@FeedOnATreeFrog
You didn't like any eps of B:TAS or B:MOTP? Nothing wrong with that. Just very interesting b/c I've never came across any fans into DC comics disliking their animated series & movies.

Not really...no. It's just not my thing. Although I like the fact that it incorporated an art deco style, I just don't like the rest of the art style. I'd take a Pat Gleason, Jim Lee, or Greg Capullo panel (who is greatly inspired by TAS, ironically) over TAS any day.

I just watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time about a week ago actually. I found it to be quite predictable, dull (I can't believe it was only 76 minutes), and sometimes silly & over the top (mobster voices and the Hamill's Joker, which I've never been a fan of). It was nice to see a happy Bruce though. That always gets me.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that. I've just never came across anybody who disliked B:TAS and B:MOTP who were fans of DC. At least you got the comics though. Hopefully DC will get it right for you in the animation dept. someday. Well I won't derail the thread any further.

I did like a few of the animated movies, or at least parts of them.

-Some of Gotham Knight
-Some of GL: First Flight
-Wonder Woman, until about the third act.
-Some of All Star Superman (especially the end).
-Superman Unbound, despite Clark and Lois coming across as huge d-bags.
-The Dark Knight Returns
-Flashpoint Paradox (even though a lot of the side-stories feel irrelevant to the movie)

Oh, and I watched the first half dozen episodes of the Green Lantern series and quite enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"