Guardians of the Galaxy Rate and Review Guardians of the GalaXy Volume 3

Just came back (UK).

By far the weakest of the Guardians films.

The Rocket stuff was good, but
Gunn didn't have the guts to kill him off for a payoff from all the set up.

Alternate Gamora was annoying to watch and they never did any resolution for her and Quill.

Adam Warlock was wasted and after the setup from the previous film, he's just kind of there. The High Evolutionary was a cringe villain and all he does is scream from the second half of the film onwards.

The visuals were washed out and the beautiful color palette from Vol.1 and 2 was greatly missed. It looked like every other current MCU film with that grey-ish style that missed any personality.

John Murphy's score was bland and the only memorable piece was Tyler Bates' motif from the first film, which was very rarely used. Reminded me of what Natalie Holt did with Kenobi, replacing all the great themes with generic noise, with good themes used only here and there to remind of much better composer work.

Gunn at least nailed the ending, but the film overall missed the spark that the first film (and partially the 2nd) had.

Also, this had some of the worst mid and post-credit scene in an MCU film. Complete waste of time.

6/10.
Completely agree with all of this. High Evolutionary was interesting at first, but after a certain point he just becomes your average maniacal villain.

Also, this may’ve had the worst humor of the three films for me. There are scenes in this movie where the joke is just people screaming at each other and it was so annoying.

I think the thing I liked most about it was the production design.

It's a 9/10 for me.
It's such a breath of fresh air in this sea of mediocrity of superhero movies.
It was character driven, fun, sad... I laughed, I cried, I had a bunch of "f*** yeah!" moments. Honestly, I can't ask more out of a movie.

On a side note, every time someone is disappointed about Adam Warlock, this is me:

22711303-845a-4952-bdce-3f0acff13ef1_screenshot.jpg

"I DON'T KNOW WHO ADAM WARLOCK ISSSS"

Film was near perfect for me, and really a great bookend for the best "trilogy" in the MCU. The characters really drove this one, and the themes hit hard for me. Loved it.

Blockbuster movies are definitely in a slump at the moment. The movie is a 7 at best. 6.5 being more realistic. How anyone could think this is 8 or above shows their lack of great movie watching experiences! This is not a great movie. And time will tell that. Each to there own though
Get over yourself

This movie was simply incredible! I loved almost every second of it. It was funny without being overly funny or corny. It was emotional. It was heartfelt. It ticked all the right boxes.

I knew zero about Adam Warlock going into this, and I loved his character.

James Gunn will be missed.

Definitely the best movie of the new Saga, the best Guardians movie, and probably top 3 or 4 of the MCU.

9/10

Blockbuster movies are definitely in a slump at the moment. The movie is a 7 at best. 6.5 being more realistic. How anyone could think this is 8 or above shows their lack of great movie watching experiences! This is not a great movie. And time will tell that. Each to there own though

billy-madison-dumber.gif

I wish Groot and Warlock had more role. Villain was weak. The sets looked like movie sets,I don't know maybe with better lighting they would look more authentic. I didn't really feel like I was in a different planet/galaXy seeing the visuals. Some of the prosthetics looked cheap too especially for the eXtras. I am also not into the humour of James Gunn.

Loved it! 9/10 for me, too lazy to go into details lol. IMO, should have a higher RT rating, but I think the audience score reflects that.

I thought Vol 3 was an overall enjoyable, yet flawed film. There were certain technical and acting things that were done too many times, but that's more of a nitpick. Another nitpick for me is that it's definitely lost that self contained vibe it had with the first two movies. I feel you definitely need to watch IW/EG and the Holiday special to understand certain things.

The main crew were good as always. Raccoon had a compelling backstory. Alt Gamora was pretty entertaining as well.

I like that High Evolutionary was just a straight up evil person.

Adam Warlock was definitely...just there.

The movie had fitting conclusions for each of the characters. Overall, I think the movie is a 7.5/10. Guardians 1 is easily, IMO, the best film of the trilogy.

Saw it today, just an absolute emotional wallop.

Pros

- Mantis is the MVP of the team, she's funny, caring, and just a flat out bad-ass.

- Drax for dad of the year!

- Nebula's journey has been the best villain to hero transition in the MCU.

- Cosmo is hilarious.

- The soundtrack once again delivers.

- High Evolutionary is the most despicable villain in the history of the MCU, not the best, but one you will hate the most.

- The final team fight scene is one of the best fight scenes in the MCU.

- Rocket's story is heart-wrenchingly beautiful - Made me love that Racoon ever more.

Cons

- Needed more Gamora.

- Did not like how they handled the Quill/Gamora love story.

- Could have used more of the signature James Gunn humour as the movie got really emotionally heavy at times.

9.5/10

I honestly don't know how to rank the GotG trilogy as I love all three and all are top 10 MCU movies.

I'd rate this at about a 8.8-9.1/10. Movie was way more emotional than I was expecting as I legit teared up/cried at least 6 times, possibly as high as 8-9. I really liked the overall story Gunn was trying to tell. The action set pieces were inventive and fun. I thought the comedy was okay for the most part but there were a couple bits that just didn't hit for me. There were only a few story/character elements involving mainly Adam, Drax, Mantis, and Quill/Gamora that I wished had been a tad different but nothing that ruined the movie. I'll really miss this version of the group and this part of the MCU. It's going to be tough for whoever comes next to deal with these characters again.

Just getting back from watching GOTG Vol. 3 and I loved it!

The movie has a lot of heart and some pretty emotional moments. Found myself getting pretty teary eyed in several scenes. Haven’t felt like this about an MCU movie since Endgame

Rocket was front & center in this movie which I absolutely liked. Nice to see his background and where he came from

Nice to get a straight up POS villain like the High Evolutionary with no redeemable qualities as all. Dude was a straight up power hungry megalomaniac who thought of himself as god and went to any lengths necessary to try to create the “perfect” society even if it meant torturing, experimenting, and even killing living things to make it happen

Warlock was a great addition to this movie, just wish we got more of him

With the current MCU phase having been so hit or miss, it’s nice to get a film felt like classic top tier MCU

9/10

Just came back (UK).

By far the weakest of the Guardians films.

The Rocket stuff was good, but
Gunn didn't have the guts to kill him off for a payoff from all the set up.

Alternate Gamora was annoying to watch and they never did any resolution for her and Quill.

Adam Warlock was wasted and after the setup from the previous film, he's just kind of there. The High Evolutionary was a cringe villain and all he does is scream from the second half of the film onwards.

The visuals were washed out and the beautiful color palette from Vol.1 and 2 was greatly missed. It looked like every other current MCU film with that grey-ish style that missed any personality.

John Murphy's score was bland and the only memorable piece was Tyler Bates' motif from the first film, which was very rarely used. Reminded me of what Natalie Holt did with Kenobi, replacing all the great themes with generic noise, with good themes used only here and there to remind of much better composer work.

Gunn at least nailed the ending, but the film overall missed the spark that the first film (and partially the 2nd) had.

Also, this had some of the worst mid and post-credit scene in an MCU film. Complete waste of time.

6/10.

I agree with most of your thoughts especially the bolded, im so happy someone else brought this up because no one else seems to have been bothered by it. This was by far one of the ugliest mcu movies to look at and really hampered my enjoyment of the film. The first two movies had such vibrant and beautiful colors.

And yes John Murphy’s score was really weak. Bates was sorely missed in this.

I don't like rating movies numerically. I like using a tier system. This is a solid F-tier. Sorry, but I hated it. Boring as hell, not entertaining, not funny, generic, just outright forgettable. In my bottom three for the MCU for sure alongside Eternals and Love and Thunder.

The good:
-I guess the visuals were fine. Nothing special.

-Rocket's story is interesting, and I liked his friends (good god THAT scene was ****ing intense...)

-A few songs on the soundtrack yadayadayada

The bad:
-Just about everything else I didn't mention earlier

-Everybody was just a blown-up cariacture of themselves from other movies. Quill and Drax are morons, Gamora and Nebula are stoic badasses, Rocket is a dick, etc. Drax was absolutely dreadful in this movie

-The humor sucked. The only time I laughed was when Adam burned that dude to a skeleton. And when Mantis made that guy dance. Most of it was lame child humor (another turd joke... really??)

-Costume design sucked

-The High Evolutionary was a terrible and generic villain. A one-dimensional cliche that only felt somewhat threatening because he was an absolute dick. Seemed almost like a Walmart Kang...

-The climax was lame and never had me excited and on the edge of my seat. ANOTHER CGI goon fight? Good lord. Oh, and another group of children again? ****ing hell...

-Boring as sin and a complete mess tonally. I actually was relieved when the movie finally ended. The only other time I was this bored was with Eternals. All so they can hype up more mediocre Guardians movies in the future that I give zero ****s about.

-Adam Warlock and Ayesha were just there. They had no reason to be in the movie; Adam was only there to sell action figures. He had no significant part of the plot and could've been written out completely.

I'm sorry, but I thought this movie was terrible. And on a side note, I don't like James Gunn either. He's always rubbed off on me an egotistical jerk who acts like he is the messiah of filmmaking.

Been thinking on this since yesterday and have to say it's my favorite Guardians film to date. Felt so good to have a quality MCU film again. Rocket and Nebula were the MVPs.

9/10

I don't like rating movies numerically. I like using a tier system. This is a solid F-tier. Sorry, but I hated it. Boring as hell, not entertaining, not funny, generic, just outright forgettable. In my bottom three for the MCU for sure alongside Eternals and Love and Thunder.

The good:
-I guess the visuals were fine. Nothing special.

-Rocket's story is interesting, and I liked his friends (good god THAT scene was ****ing intense...)

-A few songs on the soundtrack yadayadayada

The bad:
-Just about everything else I didn't mention earlier

-Everybody was just a blown-up cariacture of themselves from other movies. Quill and Drax are morons, Gamora and Nebula are stoic badasses, Rocket is a dick, etc. Drax was absolutely dreadful in this movie

-The humor sucked. The only time I laughed was when Adam burned that dude to a skeleton. And when Mantis made that guy dance. Most of it was lame child humor (another turd joke... really??)

-Costume design sucked

-The High Evolutionary was a terrible and generic villain. A one-dimensional cliche that only felt somewhat threatening because he was an absolute dick. Seemed almost like a Walmart Kang...

-The climax was lame and never had me excited and on the edge of my seat. ANOTHER CGI goon fight? Good lord. Oh, and another group of children again? ****ing hell...

-Boring as sin and a complete mess tonally. I actually was relieved when the movie finally ended. The only other time I was this bored was with Eternals. All so they can hype up more mediocre Guardians movies in the future that I give zero ****s about.

-Adam Warlock and Ayesha were just there. They had no reason to be in the movie; Adam was only there to sell action figures. He had no significant part of the plot and could've been written out completely.

I'm sorry, but I thought this movie was terrible. And on a side note, I don't like James Gunn either. He's always rubbed off on me an egotistical jerk who acts like he is the messiah of filmmaking.

giphy.gif

^Me too. Who would've thunk... one of the stupidest, goofiest Marvel movies would have one of the most distressing scenes

Still thought the movie was trash either way

Well, that was interesting. Something of a whiplash film for me. I found the first act something of a slog to get through, and it took me a bit afterward to figure out why. I think it’s because it’s all the Guardians interacting with each other and it’s just the same old stuff we’ve seen for two-plus movies. But once they got inside the
organic space station thing
and had other characters to interact with, then the film suddenly took off and didn’t slow down until we hit the credits. I’d give the first part a 3, the rest of the movie around a 9, and the film overall a 7.

This film gets a 8.5/10 for me. It's the first MCU film in a while that I feel perfectly balances humor and grief. The scenes with Rocket literally made me tear up. I'll definitely be seeing this again next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"