Rate MAN OF STEEL......once and for all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zionite1

Sidekick
Reaction score
Lets settle this once and for all-Rate Man of steel.

If you feel its below Average,Simply choose Bad.

Last edited:
excellent! one of my favorite comic book movies

Excellent, my favourite comic book movie of all-time. It was everything I wanted in a Superman movie.

Excellent. Not quite on par with TDK (which IMO is the greatest superhero movie ever) but I rate Superman the Movie a 9.5/10 and MOS a 9/10.
(TDK would be a 10 )

While Reeve remains my favourite Superman (by a nose), Cavill is a worthy successor - and my thoughts are heavily influenced by nostalgia (as Reeve was my childhood Superman).
I think Cavill's performance was highly underrated - he did a lot with the role, mostly with facial expressions - which is how I've always imagined Superman, as a man of action and few words. And I've said it many times, but when Cavill first appears wearing the suit, I got a chill, it was like Superman had walked out of the comics and onto the screen.

Really, MOS was everything a Superman movie should be, for today's world.
Sure Superman the movie is awesome, but if it was released today, for the first time (even with updated special effects) it probably wouldn't do very well. What I also think makes MOS so good is that finally someone had the balls to do something different with the character - and Superman needed to change (otherwise we'd just get another piece of **** like Superman Returns).

The Smallville battle scene is still my favourite superhero fight scene, bar none. That's what a battle with Superman should look like.

Sure, MOS wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it. Very high re-watch value too ! Let's hope they keep everything that was great about this film for B v S.

cheers.

I feel like there should be a rating between "Very Good" and "Average," because that's where I'd vote. I loved the film because I was desperate to see a non-Donnerverse Superman that's closer to the modern day comics, and I got one. He wasn't the ideal one for me, but he was good enough to serve as a foundation for a new Superman franchise, and that alone I just had to rejoice about because Supes is my favorite hero in all of comics and I've never enjoyed a Superman movie. I also think Henry Cavil is the perfect choice to embody this new Superman.

BUT. I can also acknowledge that this movie had all kinds of problems and weak spots in its writing and directing. Lots of moments of stilted dialogue or acting and heavy-handed imagery that I just couldn't help but roll my eyes at. And I do think they did a disservice to the character of Superman in their handling of the 3rd act (outside of the neck-break, which I didn't have a problem with). So my vote would be "good" for this film. Not "very good," and it's a little better than "average" I guess, so "good" is where it lands for me.

I'd have voted between average and bad... something like 'not so good'.

I don't hate all of the movie.

But I can't even rate it as average, because there are more things about it I dislike than your average Superhero movie.

You should have an option for just "good"

That's what it was IMO

The MoS franchise and the DCCU have the potential to become great though.

Excellent. Flawed, but excellent still. I find myself revisiting it more often than many other CBM's.

Average.
Not great, but not bad either.

Actors were all brilliant. Music was fantastic. Action scenes were awesome.

But all in all, the movie felt very cold and unviting. I just couldn't connect with it.

Excellent one of my top superhero films of all time. I connected with everything just fine. I won it and have watched it about a dozen times. I'm always in a very good mood afterwards.

I've watched it 3 times and I still can't get into it :hehe:

I would've voted between average and bad had there been an option, so I went with average. There are a few things I do like about the film, mostly the actors and the action before the final battle took it too far. Those few redeeming qualities keep the movie from being total garbage, like Green Lantern or NolanKnight Rises.

very good for me, only thing that held it back was the weak dialogue at times.

I'm ok with throwing logic out the window for this new universe where anything can happen.

It's a decent movie. It would have been better if the scenes on Krypton and in Smallville were much shorter. Way too much exposition, way too long for the movie to get going, and the Codex subplot was a convoluted mess. And I hated how they killed off Clark's dad; the whole scene just didn't sell it to me.

I liked the villain, I liked Jor-El, I liked the action, I liked the visuals and soundtrack. Most of the scenes in Metropolis are good.

I'm glad Chris Terrio will be re-writing Goyer and Snyder's scripts and stories for future movies.

Once and for all, it's an okay movie that ultimately doesn't like Superman.

3/5.

Anything below three means that i didnt like the film. A solid 3/5 means i enjoyed it, but nothing more, nothing less. It means that i can nitpick the hell out of MOS and find things about it that I strongly dislike. But i can also throw some popcorn in my mouth, watch it with some people and be entertained. Three out of five doesn't make my top 10 at the end of the year, basically.

I put MOS on the level of Prometheus or Godzilla. Two movies that i thought had silly bits, some stiff performances, some good performances. Some great suspenseful scenes mixed with some pretty bad writing. Great visuals. But not much substance even though they kinda went for it here and there...and failed sometimes when they would attempt something serious.

Last edited:
I gave it an average. On a scale, I'd give it a 6 out of 10. It's not a movie I ever want to see again.

I think it's a pretty bad movie. Poorly paced, poorly directed, fairly boring, and a very glaring example of telling instead of showing.

I dug the experience of seeing it in the cinema, the first couple of times. Which were all in 3D (completely unnecessary btw). But then i saw it a third time in 2D. That time and when i eventually saw it on blu-ray with my mother, i was able to see all the flaws, and stop telling myself "this kicks major ass in comparison to Superman Returns, i wanted Supes to kick ass, and i got it!"

I remember seeing it for that third time in theaters. Im sitting there watching, and it's beginning to feel dull to me. I started to see how stiff Shannon was, how Cavill wasn't given anything to work with (which is why i think he will be MUCH better in a team-up where he can share the spotlight instead of trying to act like a leading man: which he is not). The snap-zooms, the never-ending destruction of buildings or characters thrown into buildings, the bad writing when it came to everything Pa Kent is involved with, even though Costner tries his best. Goyers dialogue can get embarrassing. It all started hitting me.

But the action is still kick-ass, it just lasts too long. There's a great main core of a cast, they just need to have a chance to be handled better. Which they will. The easter eggs (Aquaman, Luthor, Wayne) are all great and i picked up on them right away. There's a solid foundation in MOS for the future and that's why i can go back and be entertained once in a while. But it's got a chunk of dumb moments as a stand-alone film.

I can criticize it some more, and then praise some things as well. But ill stop here.

Man Of Steel really is a 3 out of 5 rating from me, and i dont ever see that changing. I didn't think it touched TDK Trilogy, the original Burton Batman, the first Iron Man, or the more recent Guardians/X-Men/Cap movies. But i enjoyed it more than Avengers. Even though i can see why people dig that one more since it was colorful, as opposed to Supermans dreary look. As well as Whedons humor which hits the mark, unlike Goyers crappy attempts in MOS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back