Rate The Man With The Golden Gun

The Chairman

Pimps' Main Prophet
Reaction score
I just finished watching TMWTGG a little while ago. This is one of the Bond films that everyone seems to have mixed opinions on, a lot of which are negative. A lot of reviews I've seen for it deem it cheap, campy, and overall among the worst Bond movies.

I myself, however, love it. For several reasons. First of all, I don't think Moore was ever more cool and comfortable in the part than when he was Bond than in TMWGG. Granted, acting-wise he was overall better in LALD, FYEO and his personal best TSWLM, but IMO his charm, charisma and flair for one-liners was never put to better use than here. Also, Christopher Lee is an actor tailor made for a Bond villian, and he really delivers here. Scaramanga IMO is up there with Goldfinger & Trevelyan as one of the ultimate Bond foes, and it's all thanks to Lee, who plays the part to perfection. I also love the action sequences, and the final showdown between Lee and Moore is awesome.

There are of course a few flaws. Mary Goodnight, despite being incredibly hot, is quite possibly the most inept and stupid of all the Bond girls, and Nick Nack, while no doubt very entertaining, was ultimately useless and essentially there for comic relief. I also think Maude Adams was wasted, which is quite sad, because she really could've added quite a bit too the plot IMO. Also, the car chase sequence is nearly ruined by the slide whistle sound effect during the leap across the bridge.

Other than that, I really love TMWTGG. I myself give a solid 4 / 5. What do you think.

One of the best Roger moore bond films, all the connery ones were better, as was goldeneye, license to kill and another...

There are some great elements, but too little to make this anything above average. The film lags in places, there is not enough action, Sheriff Pepper is annoying and out of place, Midnight is awful, and Scaramanga's headquaters are staffed by a pathetic one lackey!

On the plus side, Christopher Lee as Scaramanga makes one of the best villains of the series, the climactic duel is one of the most tense scenes in the series, and Nik Nak is awesome, and the soundtrack is classic Bond, bold and dramatic. I even like the theme tune by Lulu, it's just over-the-top enough to work.

Kevin Roegele said:
There are some great elements, but too little to make this anything above average. The film lags in places, there is not enough action, Sheriff Pepper is annoying and out of place, Midnight is awful, and Scaramanga's headquaters are staffed by a pathetic one lackey!

On the plus side, Christopher Lee as Scaramanga makes one of the best villains of the series, the climactic duel is one of the most tense scenes in the series, and Nik Nak is awesome, and the soundtrack is classic Bond, bold and dramatic. I even like the theme tune by Lulu, it's just over-the-top enough to work.

Agreed there. I love the theme tune. Third best Bond tune of all time after "Live And Let Die" and "Goldfinger".

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Agreed there. I love the theme tune. Third best Bond tune of all time after "Live And Let Die" and "Goldfinger".

The action theme in the movie, which is the first few bars of the theme tune, is also great as well.

Kevin Roegele said:
The action theme in the movie, which is the first few bars of the theme tune, is also great as well.

Yes, it is. :up::up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"