Rate X-Men: Age of Apocalypse

GoldenAgeHero

Avenger
Reaction score
i just got done beating X men legends, and thinking about getting age of apocalypse. tell me your opinion on the game. who are the characters: good guys and villains. hows the game play? better angles? etc

I only rented it and didn't get to play it much but it seemed to be the same as the first one just with some different characters. Pick team, run through the level and smash everything, rinse and repeat. 3 out of 5.

It's pretty much better in every aspect. Much more abilities in this game first of all, like lot's more. More characters and the ability to be able to play as villains.. Costume selection.. It's longer. DEADOOL!! Seriously, it's really fun. The only major con I have about it is that it has pretty much no story. However it does have the rare awesome cutscene. Ony like 5, but they're all beautiful. :up:

Well like I said I didn't get to play it much. Like 3-4 levels and they were...meh.

Pretty much the same as XML1 with more characters. Some parts felt thrown together, which isn't surprising since it took all of 11 months to make. Still fun, just a tad repetitive.

GoldenAgeHero said:
i know the graphics havent improved what so ever.

The graphics are much better. During cutscenes, the characters actually have facial expressions and fingers. It's definately worthwhile.

Wait wait wait, is he talking about Xmen Legends 2, or that old SNES game with apoc in it, or the comic series...I'm confused.

X-Men Legends 2.

Spidey-Bat said:
The graphics are much better. During cutscenes, the characters actually have facial expressions and fingers. It's definately worthwhile.

Yeah, too bad there were like 5 cutscenes in the whole game. :o

I misused the term. I meant the mission brief scenes. In XM1, the characters were really simple, while in XM2, there's more detail.

XML 2 is a pretty fun game with a diverse cast its a lot of the same gameplay wise, but they improved the AI for your computer controlled partners(they don't fall off bridges anymore) and there is a skirmish mode where you get to play as some of the mini-bosses like Omega Red and others I can't remember t this time. Characters like Scarlet Witch have intersting abilities such as turning enemies into items.

However, I thought the game was too easy. I only died once and that was against Sugarman, I have no idea how that happened as I wiped the floor with him the second time around. Even the final boss fight was pretty easy, no where near as hard as the final boss fight from XML1. There is a bit of backtracking through long levels(and some of that backtracking gets very long) and sadly they took out the flashback levels which were some of my favorites in the first game. But even with all that, the game is a solid 15 or so hours and I personally like a really long, good game with some DAMN good extras. I would recommend the game for atleast a rental if you have the time to beat it. If you have a PSP you might want to consider picking up that version because that has a couple more characters than the consoles like Cable and Cannonball, but I haven't played that version so I don't know if they took anything out.

GekigangerV said:
XML 2 is a pretty fun game with a diverse cast its a lot of the same gameplay wise, but they improved the AI for your computer controlled partners(they don't fall off bridges anymore) and there is a skirmish mode where you get to play as some of the mini-bosses like Omega Red and others I can't remember t this time. Characters like Scarlet Witch have intersting abilities such as turning enemies into items.

However, I thought the game was too easy. I only died once and that was against Sugarman, I have no idea how that happened as I wiped the floor with him the second time around. Even the final boss fight was pretty easy, no where near as hard as the final boss fight from XML1. There is a bit of backtracking through long levels(and some of that backtracking gets very long) and sadly they took out the flashback levels which were some of my favorites in the first game. But even with all that, the game is a solid 15 or so hours and I personally like a really long, good game with some DAMN good extras. I would recommend the game for atleast a rental if you have the time to beat it. If you have a PSP you might want to consider picking up that version because that has a couple more characters than the consoles like Cable and Cannonball, but I haven't played that version so I don't know if they took anything out.

What's Collosus' brothers name again? :confused: 'Cause he was a **** to beat. We died like 15 times. :o

Mikhael. OR something relativle similar to that.

I think it's definitly worth it, especially on the psp which is the version I have.
It CAN get repetitive, but on the PSP you notice less. If you are going on a long journey (or even a short one) the bite sized gameplay seems to suit the psp perfectly. The graphics are splendidly comic book style.

I wouldn't say it doesn't have much a story...it doesn't have many cutscenes, true, but there is a lot of story to be found by exploring the game and characters who all yield nuggets of storyline information and information on the x universe in general. You can get as much or as little from the storyline as you please. The actual story is a mix of several storylines such as Age of Apocalypse or the twelve.

There are much more characters (many with age of apocalypse costumes! Yayness!) and cameos (including Blink and Omega Red). PSP also has several exclusive characters including Cable, Dark Pheonix and X Man. Heck at one point you can even choose to bring Iron Man into the frey!
The PSP version has 9 comic based exclusive missions as well which adds a little more value , especially to x fanatics such as myself.

The skirmish mode is very cool as you can fight as almost anyone (sadly Omega Red is not one of them :( ) I think this could be improved to have no time limit and just go until one team remains standing, and to encompass ALL characters, including bosses and sub bosses.

For all it's flaws though, this is a shining example of how comic book games should be done. Faithful to the source material and fun. If you have any amount of love for the x men, at the VERY least it's worth a rental.

7.5 out of 10.

XwolverineX said:
What's Collosus' brothers name again? :confused: 'Cause he was a **** to beat. We died like 15 times. :o

Mikhail. That was a very fun level and I owned him by having Collosus, Rogue, Juggernaut, and Cyclops on the team.

The only one that gave me trouble was Sugarman and he normally ended up killing my team except for anytime I had Rogue or Jean.

I just bought it, I beat like two levels stopped playing cause I had to go somewhere and havent been tempted to pick it up again for two weeks or so. I'm a huge Xmen fan so I thought I would love it but no so much. Kinda like X3 in that aspect :(

InsaneMembrane said:
I just bought it, I beat like two levels stopped playing cause I had to go somewhere and havent been tempted to pick it up again for two weeks or so. I'm a huge Xmen fan so I thought I would love it but no so much. Kinda like X3 in that aspect :(
Have you seen X3?

Horrorfan said:
Have you seen X3?

No, but its looking like crap( look at sig) and I was sooo excited but so far its been like a shotgun blast of disappoinment right in the face :( :down

InsaneMembrane said:
No, but its looking like crap( look at sig) and I was sooo excited but so far its been like a shotgun blast of disappoinment right in the face :( :down

Dude I'm just shocked there is one cyclops fan out there, nevermind a bunch of em united ;)

InsaneMembrane said:

I think X-3 will be awesome.

XwolverineX said:
I think X-3 will be awesome.
Indeed. It looks better then the second and that's saying alot as X2 was pretty much perfect.

TheCardPlayer said:
Indeed. It looks better then the second and that's saying alot as X2 was pretty much perfect.

I actually preffered X to X-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"