Raya and the Last Dragon

Part of the problem for me is that it looks way too familiar. It's design work you've already seen in other animation/films. It's basically the Asian equivalent of generic Science Fiction design tropes.

Do we know if this will be a musical? I mean, it's Disney, so I know there will be music and songs.

But, from the trailer, I'm not sure this being a musical where the characters break out into song and dance would fit. I could see it being similar to Tarzan and Brave where there are songs in the background, but they are sung by popsinger and not the characters themselves.

It feels more like a Tarzan but I wouldn't be shocked if she did sing. Her or Awkwafina

Do we know if this will be a musical? I mean, it's Disney, so I know there will be music and songs.

But, from the trailer, I'm not sure this being a musical where the characters break out into song and dance would fit. I could see it being similar to Tarzan and Brave where there are songs in the background, but they are sung by popsinger and not the characters themselves.
It's 100% not a musical. There's no songwriters attached. Disney's next musical is not until November 2021.

It's 100% not a musical. There's no songwriters attached. Disney's next musical is not until November 2021.
Ok, thanks.

That's actually refreshing. Not every Disney Princess film has to be a musical. And it wouldn't really fit the tone and style set forth by this trailer.

I want a straightforward warrior princess action adventure. Though I'm sure they will create at least 1 new pop song for the end credits or something. Would certainly be a good opportunity to showcase a rising South East Asian popsinger.

See I'm kind of the opposite. Disney is really the only studio making animated musicals (no, Trolls doesn't count). It makes Frozen and Moana stand out all the much more along with their classic titles. In this case, it probably isn't needed, but it's something I do look forward to from them.

Ok, thanks.

That's actually refreshing. Not every Disney Princess film has to be a musical. And it wouldn't really fit the tone and style set forth by this trailer.

I want a straightforward warrior princess action adventure. Though I'm sure they will create at least 1 new pop song for the end credits or something. Would certainly be a good opportunity to showcase a rising South East Asian popsinger.
I don't think Raya's a princess....

Kelly Marie Tran answered the princess question in the interview I posted near the beginning of the. thread...Kelly said Raya is.

“She is someone who is technically a princess but I think that what's really cool about this project, about this character, specifically is that everyone's trying to flip the narrative on what it means to be a princess. Raya is totally a warrior. When she was a kid, she was excited to get her sword. And she grows up to be a really badass, gritty warrior and can really take care of herself.”

She‘ll definitely a princess. Disney won’t miss the opportunity to sell a princess for the South Asian Markets like Indonesia, Malaysia,...

Is she a Disney princess though? Usually when there’s a new one, they make a huge fuss about it. Most outlets online are calling her a princess but I haven’t seen anything official unless I missed something. Plus judging from the teaser, this does seem to be fairly different from the usual princess stuff, though it’s definitely too early to judge at this point.

Also, yes young Raya is dressed very similarly to Korra (so similarly that it might even be a homage) but what else shown here is reminding people of Avatar? Like I’ve seen that comparison a lot but I personally don’t see it :shrug:.

I don't think this is a musical based off of how this was promoted at D23.

Seems more like an Eastern-based fantasy action-adventure story similar to Avatar The Last Airbender. We don't see a lot of films like this from Disney Animation, so I'm very interested.

Yeah...I mean I get how it seems too familiar but some things that are treated as the second coming are not very original per se.

Wait. I thought Raya was confirmed to be the next Disney Princess???!!!

If not, then this would be yet ANOTHER huge missed opportunity on Disney's part after excluding Princess Kida from Atlantis (another more serious non-musical film that features a non-white princess).

You hear complaints that the Princess lineup is "too white" with not enough diversity. Yet they had a non-white princess with Kida who they could have included for all these years but chose to exclude her. And now, if they are going to do the same with Raya, that would be just totally stupid and show that they are nothing but hypocrites.

Atlantis was the red headed stepchild of the Disney animated adventures.

Atlantis was the red headed stepchild of the Disney animated adventures.
and that's a shame, because I quite liked it. In fact, I just rewatched it recently and found that I still enjoy it.

I could see why it was not as popular, especially with kids, because it had a more serious, mature tone to the story. But it offered something different than the usual animated fare. Probably wouldn't be able to get away with it in today's environment, though.

Plus, Kida is hot! :o And any story where the short, nerdy guy gets the hot chick gets my vote! :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Mulan is no princess but always on Disney princess compilations

Raya will be available as premiere access on the day of the theatrical release in March. Incoming news of pricing soon...

other than Mulan, I‘m okay paying for it - and I bet they set the price lower as 30$ after all the backfire

Yeah, hopefully it’s in the $20 range or lower

You hear complaints that the Princess lineup is "too white" with not enough diversity.

Is that really much of a complaint? I mean, it doesn't surprise me that anyone exists who would say that, but 5 of the 12 in the Disney Princess brand are non-white, when the first five were white and existed as far back as '91. The only two white ones since then are Rapunzel and Merida, and Merida offers some diversity with respect to body type and hair. Mulan isn't even a princess, and The Princess and the Frog was created with the goal of adding a black princess to the brand.

Is that really much of a complaint? I mean, it doesn't surprise me that anyone exists who would say that, but 5 of the 12 in the Disney Princess brand are non-white, when the first five were white and existed as far back as '91. The only two white ones since then are Rapunzel and Merida, and Merida offers some diversity with respect to body type and hair. Mulan isn't even a princess, and The Princess and the Frog was created with the goal of adding a black princess to the brand.
I thought Mulan was a Disney princrss

Anyway I think there are some people who may say the Disney princesses aren't diverse but that a very small and not that vocal minority. It's not much if a complaint
I feel like people have praised it more for being diverse than not

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"