Re-Writing the Star Wars Prequels....

I think the fans are most upset about Lucas getting credit for absolutely everything involving Star Wars. Fans are more in the know than a "normie" so they would be more knowledgeable about who is responsible for what. So for him to get credit for the good things (as well as the bad) is not fair to the talented people who have fixed plot-holes, repaired storylines, introduced characters now popular and beloved, etc..

Lucas came up with few characters and a few plot points from A New Hope as we know it today and that's about it. The rest of the entire franchise is really a collaboration of ideas from many many different people. Lucas just happens to be the guy raking in the most cash because Fox let him keep the merchandising rights back in 77 because they thought it wouldn't matter.

I think the fans are most upset about Lucas getting credit for absolutely everything involving Star Wars. Fans are more in the know than a "normie" so they would be more knowledgeable about who is responsible for what. So for him to get credit for the good things (as well as the bad) is not fair to the talented people who have fixed plot-holes, repaired storylines, introduced characters now popular and beloved, etc..

Lucas came up with few characters and a few plot points from A New Hope as we know it today and that's about it. The rest of the entire franchise is really a collaboration of ideas from many many different people. Lucas just happens to be the guy raking in the most cash because Fox let him keep the merchandising rights back in 77 because they thought it wouldn't matter.

Oh, the 'ol basher favorite Gary Kurtz lie, eh?

Total ********. He had help-everyone does, but it's HIS creation, and therefore most of the credit (and blame) rightfully and deservedly goes to him.

A few characters and a few plots...that kills me. Ya, right. That's why names, characters, worlds and concepts from old ANH drafts appeared in the series all the way to ROTS.

And yes, the near insane hatred of Lucas (even stooping to the point of physical threats and death threats) that is seen online is not felt by the general public, who are not fanatically obsessed.

Yes names, worlds, and concepts would appear on old ANH drafts because he didn't write it himself, he has admitted this, it's no secret. It is also no secret that he couldn't sell his first draft so he gave it to his friends to rework into a buyable screenplay.

Yes the concept of STAR WARS is his idea, but that's not what's being discussed. The perpetuation of the universe is now more the responsibility of the authors and artists, Lucas still wields the big veto stamp, but the ideas are really coming from more heads than his own.

Furthering what I was saying about FOX not having faith in the film. Even Lucas planned for the film to be a flop, which is why he commissioned Foster (the author who wrote the book version of A New Hope) to write Splinter of a Mind's Eye. If you're not familiar, it's the book sequel to ANH where Luke and Leia somewhat explore their attraction to each other, romantically. Ick.

Yes names, worlds, and concepts would appear on old ANH drafts because he didn't write it himself, he has admitted this, it's no secret. It is also no secret that he couldn't sell his first draft so he gave it to his friends to rework into a buyable screenplay.

Yes the concept of STAR WARS is his idea, but that's not what's being discussed. The perpetuation of the universe is now more the responsibility of the authors and artists, Lucas still wields the big veto stamp, but the ideas are really coming from more heads than his own.

Furthering what I was saying about FOX not having faith in the film. Even Lucas planned for the film to be a flop, which is why he commissioned Foster (the author who wrote the book version of A New Hope) to write Splinter of a Mind's Eye. If you're not familiar, it's the book sequel to ANH where Luke and Leia somewhat explore their attraction to each other, romantically. Ick.

Source? I know he had Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck do a dialogue polish on ANH, I've never seen the script credited to anyone but Lucas. Ever read Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays? The script process is described in there in detail and I don't see anything to substantiate the claims you are making.

I never said he didn't have help, and I have read about the process in which the SW movies were made in detail, but even when he picks and chooses from concepts other creators and artists come up with the choices all rest with him.

And I read Splinter of the Mind's Eye back when it first came out. In fact a lot of the criticism of ESB that I remember from the early 80's was that it wasn't as epic as that novel...which I felt then and feel now is...:whatever:

Last edited:
I am with you on the comparison between ESB and Splinter. ESB isn't all that strong as a book but it is miles better than Splinter, and decidedly less creepy.

All I was saying is that praising the man for being a creative genius, and a wealth of imagination, etc. is unfounded nowadays. I'm sure he has things to say and whatnot, but he is a terrible writer, flat out. Most of the recent Star Wars books that have come out post-prequels have been really well done and the only "input" from Lucas on these, and other, media is whether or not it can use the Star Wars name. Lucas' creativity can be seen in Episodes 1-3 as they were not based on any literary source prior to the "screenplay". You can see the distinct difference, both visually and conceptually, between those films and every other piece of media bearing the Star Wars name since.

I am with you on the comparison between ESB and Splinter. ESB isn't all that strong as a book but it is miles better than Splinter, and decidedly less creepy.

All I was saying is that praising the man for being a creative genius, and a wealth of imagination, etc. is unfounded nowadays. I'm sure he has things to say and whatnot, but he is a terrible writer, flat out. Most of the recent Star Wars books that have come out post-prequels have been really well done and the only "input" from Lucas on these, and other, media is whether or not it can use the Star Wars name. Lucas' creativity can be seen in Episodes 1-3 as they were not based on any literary source prior to the "screenplay". You can see the distinct difference, both visually and conceptually, between those films and every other piece of media bearing the Star Wars name since.

Hardly anyone online praises Lucas for anything and in fact many people marginalize whatever accomplishments he has had. Bashing Lucas is hardly an edgy thing to do. In fact, I would say it takes more guts to defend him than it does to bash him. I think his dialogue is pretty stiff and corny, but I also noticed that actors like Ewan deal with it and still come off well where lesser actors like Hayden and Natalie fall on their faces. That's still Lucas' fault though-he should have cast better actors. I still feel that Mark Hamill made the OT work a lot more than anyone gives him credit for. If he had been as bad as Hayden, SW would have never been what it is.

But yeah, bashing Lucas...wow, big whoop. Only been hearing/seeing people do it since 1980 to a degree, and non-stop since 1999.

I just watched Hope the other day and was taken aback by Hamill. It had been years since I had watched the whole thing beginning to end and I was surprised at how much Hamill carried. He even put Guinness to shame. Though no body comes close to Anthony Daniels. :awesome:

He's at it again!!!
[YT]CfBhi6qqFLA[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"