The Dark Knight Regarding the 'Cut-Smile' and Filming...

Miranda Fox

Haters to the Left.
Reaction score
Taking this to a new thread for several reasons: The other was getting ridiculously long and this is one of the big talking points of the other thread. If Hunter wants to merge, he may do so. :)

Okay...the cut-smile.

To put it bluntly - there isn't one.

With the Joker, bottom line is the look's not gonna please everybody. But it IS the perfect Joker for Nolans' Batman. The character, as i've said before, is spot on. He does not have a 'cut smile' but will be scared across the face in the movie in a way that makes his smiling more dramatic.

My source also revealed some info about filming happening today:

Currently filming near Westminster Uni until about 6 this evening.

If anyone can confirm this, that would be incredible!

The Joker's look sounds good to me!

So, what he is saying, your source that is, is that he does NOT have a cut smile, he just GETS a cut smile.

Either way, he is saying that there actually WILL be a cut smile.

Also, either way I'm fine with it.

I don't know how anyone can diss your source, he's awfully specific about alot of things. Wonder if he's getting the facial scar idea from the script or production after the rumour of the studio scaling back Nolan's ideas. Damaged face is fine with me, I'd rather Nolan do something original than play it safe, as long as the character is intact. Besides, makeup alone wouldnt make someone recoil in horror.

Thanks for the update :up:

So if it's not "cut" how could it be a scarred smile? Care to elaborate a bit miranda?

Please everybody? I wonder if that means 10% will not like the look or something like 60% will not like the look.

So, what he is saying, your source that is, is that he does NOT have a cut smile, he just GETS a cut smile.

Either way, he is saying that there actually WILL be a cut smile.

Also, either way I'm fine with it.

The point was, people thought he meant a carved smile like, say, Bermejo's Joker, when what it really is, is some sort of scarring that causes his smile to be unnaturally wide...like the Captain in Pans Labyrinth.

I also happen to know that information is legit because I received it from someone else weeks ago and, crucially, never disclosed it on the boards as I knew people would misinterpret it. So there's no way he's making this up. I really don't care what Jett says now. It's not that I don't understand his point of view, but I don't appreciate the snottiness.

Sorry for being a bit cranky but...this whole thing is giving me migraines.

Either way it's gonna be scary as hell and I love it.

The point was, people thought he meant a carved smile like, say, Bermejo's Joker, when what it really is, is some sort of scarring that causes his smile to be unnaturally wide...like the Captain in Pans Labyrinth.

I also happen to know that information is legit because I received it from someone else weeks ago and, crucially, never disclosed it on the boards as I knew people would misinterpret it. So there's no way he's making this up. I really don't care what Jett says now. It's not that I don't understand his point of view, but I don't appreciate the snottiness.

Sorry for being a bit cranky but...this whole thing is giving me migraines.
I don't mind that development at all, and Miranda, I have faith in your info - it's shame it's not getting widespread (IGN just posted the BOF story now, too...).

As far as a Batman-caused accident altering the Joker's smile, that's pretty similar to B89 when you think about it. In B89, the Joker's cheek muscles get slashed by a bullet that Batman deflects, causing a perpetual grin. It seems like Nolan's giving us the more realistic counterpart to that idea, and I can't wait to see what it ends up looking like.

cut and or scarred sucks, the joker should just be evil not look evil or disfigured, that is like saying that Cillian should have padded his suit with hay...

thanks fox- but i don't get the difference between a cut smile and the captain in pan's labyrinth who has - a cut smile.

it is too B89 for me but we'll see how nolan handles it. thanks for doing all this digging!

thanks fox- but i don't get the difference between a cut smile and the captain in pan's labyrinth who has - a cut smile.
The difference is that with a carved smile, the Joker would have done it himself.

In this manner, it's an entirely accidental scarring caused by an outside factor. A little convenient, perhaps, but I'll wait to see how it looks before I judge.

Miranda when you say the cut will make the smile more dramatic you mean like more exagerated as in wider?

Yeah, I don't see a difference either.

The difference is that with a carved smile, the Joker would have done it himself.

In this manner, it's an entirely accidental scarring caused by an outside factor. A little convenient, perhaps, but I'll wait to see how it looks before I judge.

Is that really it? That is why people consider this different??

ike I said before, I don't care either way, just call a fish a fish.

Is that really it? That is why people consider this different??
Well, it is different. The end result is similar, but the Joker being the one to disfigure himself was my problem with the whole thing to begin with. That, and how gruesome it might be... if this is Bermejo brought to the screen, I'll have a problem with it, but I don't think WB would let Nolan get away with that.

I imagine the scarring will be more subtle than a lot of the people on these boards are thinking.

it is too B89 for me but we'll see how nolan handles it. thanks for doing all this digging!

Sorry Silver, I really am not good with explanations.

The problem is, people read 'cut-smile' and think self-mutilation (as Agentsands said ;) ) whereas that isn't the case at all. It just an accident.

As to how it will look - it's such a tough call right now. I've heard they experimented with subtle scarring, Jett's heard something else. So who knows?

Miranda regarding the filming at the University of Westminster, do you happen to know which campus this is at? I have some friends who go there and knowing which campus could really help.

Miranda regarding the filming at the University of Westminster, do you happen to know which campus this is at? I have some friends who go there and knowing which campus could really help.

I'm afraid I don't, sorry.

Media Department Studios, according to the local media last week.

Miranda, I have question for your source.

Who is Mr. Lau and what role does he play?

Ok, well I've found out that they are indeed filming at the University of Westminster's Harrow Campus in the M Block.

I feel a bit sick at the moment as I was in Harrow yesterday near the University. :(

Sorry Silver, I really am not good with explanations.

The problem is, people read 'cut-smile' and think self-mutilation (as Agentsands said ;) ) whereas that isn't the case at all. It just an accident.

As to how it will look - it's such a tough call right now. I've heard they experimented with subtle scarring, Jett's heard something else. So who knows?

no problem ms. fox- i wasn't frowning on your explanation i just didn't understand the difference in examples from your informant, but i'm sure that's because as you said none of us know for sure how the look will translate.

we've had a rush of exciting and somewhat conflicting info in the past two days so it's a tad frustrating but that's only because we're so eager to see some proof :)

thanks as always for your incredible sleuthing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"