Sequels Release date speculation

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
Considering that Wonder Woman has been a runaway hit, I'm surprised WB hasn't set a release date for the sequel. My guess is that once Patty gets offered enough money and perfects the script treatment, she'll sign on.

With the release dates WB has already staked out for several untitled DC properties, I think the studio might pick either of the following:

April 5, 2019*
June 14, 2019**
November 1, 2019**
April 3, 2020
July 24, 2020

* = while possible, the time crunch could make it rushed
**= most likely

While 2020 could in the cards, WB and Jenkins will want to get the sequel out for 2019. June would be ideal since it worked so well for the first film, but November would be doable due to Marvel Studios making early November a viable blockbuster spot.

With JJ coming aboard for another Star Wars, it feels like Disney will move that film to December. Just a feeling.

I think so too, but not set in stone yet.

Once it does, it means that WB will likely move Wonder Woman 2 up to November 2019 or early 2020.

Yep, it's official. IX has been moved to December.

And time to move.

The evil mouse does it again.

yep.

i feel wb will release ww in november now.

disney was probally going to move episode IX before abrams came on.

i hope wb doesn't make us wait till june 2020 now because of star wars.

I think so too, but not set in stone yet.

Once it does, it means that WB will likely move Wonder Woman 2 up to November 2019 or early 2020.

I think it'll be February or April 2020, November 2019 could go either way but I if they get Bond, they won't schedule a DC film in the same month.

Move it to Oct 2019. I don't see a single big movie scheduled for Oct 2019.

No problem, really. No studio worth their salt right now would willingly go up against Star Wars, especially during the holiday season. Successful as Wonder Woman was, WB is not gonna go up against The Mouse around Christmas. Pretty much a given that the date for the sequel will change.

WB will likely announce the date change in the coming days. As much Wonder Woman was a juggernaut this past June, the sequel will not stand up to Luke, Rey and her lightsaber the second week in.

WB could keep it there, but there is audience overlap with WW2 and Episode IX.

Hopefully it moves up to November 2019. The Hunger Games proved you can make big bucks that month plus WB should keep the tradition going of having a big tentpole film in November!

2016- Fantastic Beasts
2017-Justice League
2018-Fantastic Beasts 2
2019- Wonder Woman 2

Edit: Diana is definitely moving considering its December release has both Frozen 2 and Star Wars to contend with if it stays. Dammit Disney!

Oct 2019 Release Schedule
Oct 4: Gemini Man

Nov 2019 Release Schedule
Bond 25 (possibly a WB film)
Untitled Fox/Marvel Film
Frozen 2

November does not look friendly.

I mean, there's always the option of pushing it back as well if 2020 looks friendly. The film isn't about to start production anytime soon anyway.

The fact WB scheduled a DC film for February makes me think it was their back up date in case Star Wars moved to December.

February 14th 2020 is both Valentine's Day and President's Day weekend so it's a win win.

It will be pushed 'back' because the reality is that is what DC movies have become for Warner Bros.

Man of Steel - delayed
Batman v Superman - delayed
Aquaman - delayed
Wonder Woman 2 - likely delayed

Of course, then you have Suicide Squad which probably SHOULD have been delayed.

... and of course, the plan initially was Flash by 3/18 (LOL)

Really annoys me as I want to be able to see these films and due to production issues or other films, just always moving further away.

JL has had the same date and Wonder Wonder moved up two weeks so it's not true they always been delayed, BvS delayed from July 2015 to May 6th then moved up two months.

Studios aren't stupid and moving a movie is to maximise revenue. WB moved Ready Player One from December 2017 to March 2018 to avoid Star Wars and to give it more post production time.

The fact WB scheduled a DC film for February makes me think it was their back up date in case Star Wars moved to December.

February 14th 2020 is both Valentine's Day and President's Day weekend so it's a win win.

I think WB is looking to see how well Ray Fisher's Cyborg is received in JL, and possibly fast-track his solo film for February 2020. Note how Marvel/Disney is releasing Black Panther on the same weekend next year.

November 1, 2019 would be a good date for Wonder Woman 2, as early November has been good for both Marvel and Bond films in the past. But I wouldn't be surprised if Warners is emboldened by IT's success in September and tries a fall 2019 release for WW2 (like a late September/early October 2019 date).

WB should WW back to June-August release date tbh. Its better as a summer movie.

I think WB is looking to see how well Ray Fisher's Cyborg is received in JL, and possibly fast-track his solo film for February 2020. Note how Marvel/Disney is releasing Black Panther on the same weekend next year.

November 1, 2019 would be a good date for Wonder Woman 2, as early November has been good for both Marvel and Bond films in the past. But I wouldn't be surprised if Warners is emboldened by IT's success in September and tries a fall 2019 release for WW2 (like a late September/early October 2019 date).

I think November is probably unlikely if Warner Bros gets Bond. October could work but I think they're more likely to put SS2 or JLD there. I think IT Chapter 2 will probably be released in August or September 2019 so they'll want a suitable gap.

WB should WW back to June-August release date tbh. Its better as a summer movie.

They might, but it's all contingent on Patty's schedule with the TNT series she's doing with Chris Pine. Then after she finishes that (or at least the pilot), she has to finalize the WW2 script, start prepping, as well as the amount of filming and post-production time allotted. I would rather Patty take her time and deliver a quality WW sequel for late 2019 or early 2020.

And I don't see how WW2 is better released on a certain weekend because the date doesn't matter anymore. Star Wars successfully moved from May to December, the Harry Potter series jumped from fall to summer and back again, and IT's opening domestic numbers exceeded WW's in September.

Wonder Woman 2 could be released in October 2019 and WB would make serious bank. Maybe not have as good of a hold like a summer or a holiday release, but the worldwide grosses would be similar if not better.

yep.

i feel wb will release ww in november now.

disney was probally going to move episode IX before abrams came on.

i hope wb doesn't make us wait till june 2020 now because of star wars.

Star Wars take priority over all other franchises. And if you don't like it, you can move to Russia. :woot:

They might, but it's all contingent on Patty's schedule with the TNT series she's doing with Chris Pine. Then after she finishes that (or at least the pilot), she has to finalize the WW2 script, start prepping, as well as the amount of filming and post-production time allotted. I would rather Patty take her time and deliver a quality WW sequel for late 2019 or early 2020.

And I don't see how WW2 is better released on a certain weekend because the date doesn't matter anymore. Star Wars successfully moved from May to December, the Harry Potter series jumped from fall to summer and back again, and IT's opening domestic numbers exceeded WW's in September.

Wonder Woman 2 could be released in October 2019 and WB would make serious bank. Maybe not have as good of a hold like a summer or a holiday release, but the worldwide grosses would be similar if not better.

I just think it's better as a summer movie. Nothing to deep.

The whole notion of 'summer' movies needs to be removed from the equation moving forward because we're seeing more and more examples that the blockbuster season doesn't have to be confined to a specific time of the year. As for WW I only see one option and that's to bump her to 2020. November she would be surrounded by both Bond 25 and Frozen 2. WW should slot into that February spot WB has already reserved for a DCEU film. She'll have virtually the entire month to herself. June/July of 2019 is out of the equation simply because you're asking Jenkins to be finished 6 months earlier than what she signed on for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"