Justice League Release date speculation?

I notice WB is starting to firm up more upcoming releases -- their long-gestating Godzilla reboot will hit May 16, 2014 and the Jersey Boys musical will hit Christmas 2013.

I expect WB to announce more 2014 dates tomorrow... maybe even one for JL for a fourth-quarter 2014 or summer 2015 date while they're at it?

The earliets would be summer (JUly) 2015.
To have a release date ready for the 4th quarter of 2014 would be too early. Otherwise we should have word on the movie being in development.
I think right now WB primary goal is just looking at how MoS will be doing and based on that start to work out a schedule to start production on JL.

The earliets would be summer (JUly) 2015.
To have a release date ready for the 4th quarter of 2014 would be too early. Otherwise we should have word on the movie being in development.
I think right now WB primary goal is just looking at how MoS will be doing and based on that start to work out a schedule to start production on JL.

Still, even if MOS is a hit off the back, WB could always fast-track the JL film into production. You have big tentpole movies like The Avengers and Rise of the Apes start filming either a year or a little less prior to their release dates, so it's still doable.

Summer 2015 is the best option for JL, but so is a good Thanksgiving/Christmas release spot. The opening would be smaller, but the legs are better and with good WOM, it can make a killing around that time too.

I've been looking at the 2014 and 2015 calendars... and there's a few more dates WB can opt for a JL release:

November 7, 2014
December 12, 2014
April 3, 2015

If JL gets an early 2015 release, instead of a packed summer, in months like the first Friday of each month (February 6, March 6, April 3) -- it could make a killing there too. A lot less competition, and something that Marvel is doing with their 2014 releases like Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy -- putting them in otherwise slow months.

Well, Ant-Man swooped in and snagged that November 6, 2015 date I was speculating around.

Come on, WB, quit dragging your heels and get a good director!

Hmmm... if WB was feeling adventurous, they could book a July 1, 2015 release for JL. It's on a Wednesday, but they could use that as a prime marketing point for Superman's presence as an all-American icon. (And ASM did just fine opening in early July this past summer.)

Or, if that mid-June spot pays off for MOS next year... perhaps a June 19 or 26 spot. Still plenty of optimal dates to choose from. I'm still partial to a March or early December release.

Some more dates JL could migrate to:

March 13, 2015
March 20, 2015
June 5, 2015
June 26, 2015
November 25, 2015
December 25, 2015
March 4, 2016
March 25, 2016
May 6, 2016
May 27, 2016
July 1, 2016
July 15, 2016

Id say June 26, 2015 or July 1 2016/July 15 2016.

Even though MoS is being released in June this year, I also see JL having a possible July 2015 release date.

Id say June 26, 2015 or July 1 2016/July 15 2016.

4th of July week 2015 or Friday July 1s 2016. 4th of July falls on the weekend in 2015

Release JL the Wednesday before that 4th weekend!

Last edited:
Even though MoS is being released in June this year, I also see JL having a possible July 2015 release date.

If MOS does better than expected in its June 14 spot, I can imagine WB hanging on to that for the sequel and/or JL film. Hence June 12, 2015.

I still think spring is untapped potential... especially a sequel coming off a well-received film. It's apples and oranges, but Universal moved their Fast & Furious franchise from summer to spring and back again. (And Marvel Studios moved Captain America 2 from May 16 to April 4th.) If they and Marvel can do that, then WB can surely try their hand with a big tentpole release.

Superheroes shouldn't be confined to summer or fall. They can just as easily flourish in any season, if the movie looks good and marketed well.

El Mayimbe says the rumored release date for JL is:

May 5, 2017

If this is true, why is WB looking at another 'scuffle' with Marvel Studios again?

May 5, 2017

If this is true, why is WB looking at another 'scuffle' with Marvel Studios again?

Because this one they know that they'll win

Marvel has proved that releasing at the beginning of the summer blockbuster season can be a very good move for box office (Avengers/Iron Man 3) - why wouldn't DC try and grab some more cash?

May 5, 2017

It's not a scuffle, it's a hostile takeover, a hijack, or a coup. The studio has seen how successful Marvel's release formula has been over the past 10 years (release overseas first in late April and then domestically afterwards in May) that they want to use it too.

Seeing as how WB unveiled their untitled DC lineup last August and the actual titles in October, with JL1 confirmed for November 2017 and JL2 on June 2019... the dates annoy me. Anytime a studio does a 2-part film, there's no more than a year between installments. (And in WB's case, they had an eight month gap between the two-part HP finale.)

I think if BVS is even bigger than anticipated, I think WB will move some dates around. Maybe release Part 2 in July 2018 and move Aquaman to June 2019? Or maybe keep to the spring schedule -- release Part 1 in March 2018 and Part 2 on April 2019?

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"