Comics Reorganise the X-Men Franchise

Iron Man

Civilian
Reaction score
I discussed this topic on another board and it was pretty cool to see a few different ideas, so I thought I'd try and kick-start it here...If you were given free rein to reorganise the X-Men franchise, using only the characters still alive, how would you do it? You can invent new titles and throw characters wherever you want, just as long as they're currently on the board.

Here are my ideas:

Uncanny X-Men

Main Cast: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Angel, Shadowcat, Colossus, Dazzler, Namor
Supporting Cast: Professor Xavier, Black Panther

Based on the island Utopia, this team is the public face of mutantkind. Realising the error in his militaristic turn, Cyclops chose to embrace the new Heroic Age and sought to realise Professor Xavier's dream like never before by opening Utopia to the world as a sovereign state, welcoming both mutants and humans alike. He selected his team carefully: Emma, his partner and a redeemed villain to show the public how accepting mutants can be despite their bad press; Beast, publicly renowned for his tenure with the Avengers, who agreed to return to keep the team morally grounded but still has tension with Cyclops; Angel, the wealthy owner of Worthington Industries and Utopia's main financial backer; Shadowcat and Colossus, a likeable, 'normal' long-term couple; Dazzler, a famous pop star; and Namor, another former Avenger and the king of Atlantis.

Working alongside this team is Professor Xavier himself, who provides guidance when needed, and the Black Panther, who has pledged to use his political power to help establish Utopia.

This title would focus on the team dealing with mutant affairs largely outside of Utopia, as well as attempting to improve the image of mutantkind as a whole.

X-Men: Legacy

Main Cast: Professor Xavier, Magneto, Madison Jeffries, Dr Cecelia Reyes, Dr Nemesis, Dr Kavita Rao, Danger, Omega Sentinel
Supporting Cast: Cyclops, Angel, Beast, the population of Utopia

With Cyclops leading his team of X-Men, the running of Utopia fell to the unlikely partnership of Professor Xavier and Magneto. The former friends, still uneasy around one another, are forced to work together to hold Utopia together as it experiences an influx of humans, mutants, and publicity. Hoping to keep order, they appoint certain members of the mutant population into positions of authority, creating a ruling council that democratically and informally governs the island. The three remaining members of the X-Club, Madison Jeffries, Dr Nemesis, and Dr Kavita Rao, become the heads of science and technology, while Dr Cecelia Reyes assumes responsibility for Utopia's medical services. Xavier reluctantly allows Danger to be placed in charge of security, and Omega Sentinel acts as her assistant - the council's eyes and ears around Utopia, as well as the head of an informal police group.

Cyclops acts as a consultant to the council, while Angel and Beast retain their connections to the X-Club and are often brought in to cope with particular problems (for the former, financial issues, and for the latter, scientific difficulties). Everyone on Utopia - from Avalanche to Northstar, from Magik to Toad - is under the council's watchful eye.

This title would focus on the inner workings and politics of Utopia, as well as the slow reuilding of Xavier's friendship with Magneto.

X.S.E. (X-Treme Sanctions Executive)

Main Cast: Storm, Captain Britain, Peter Wisdom, Sabra, Darkstar, Sasquatch
Supporting Cast: Steve Rogers

A United Nations-backed worldwide police force, this is the official international team that hadles human/mutant disputes. As the founder, Storm was elected leader but was handed a list of names from which to select her team by the UN, who hoped to ensure multi-national diversity. She chose Captain Britain to be her co-leader and also called upon his fellow Englishman, Peter Wisdom; from Israel, she enlisted Sabra due to her past experience with the X-Men during Operation: Zero Tolerance; from Russia's Winter Guard, she recruited Darkstar; and from Canada came Sasquatch. They handle any assignment given to them by the UN and operate across the globe, fighting for peace wherever needed with Steve Rogers as their UN liaison.

This title would essentially be an international, government-mandated version X-Men, giving more obscure characters a chance to shine.

X-Force

Main Cast: Rogue, Havok, Wolverine, Iceman, Cannonball, Gambit, Psylocke, Polaris, Marvel Girl
Supporting Cast: None

Unlike the previous incarnation of X-Force, this version of the team does not kill. It does, however, operate out of the public eye and not in connection with Utopia. Rogue felt that Utopia's status as an official state restricted the team's ability to truly protect mutantkind and so broke away from the main group. Iceman and Cannonball, having worked under her before, agreed to follow her despite their reservations about being part of a covert squad. Wolverine, Psylocke, and Gambit were all perfect fits for the team, having had much experience in lying low and doing what is necessary. Rounding out the group is the newly returned spacefarers: Havok, the team's co-leader, Polaris, and Marvel Girl.

This title would follow this secretive team as they worked proactively to take down threats to mutantkind before those threats escalated into the open.

Generation X

Main Cast: Danielle Moonstar, Karma, Sunspot, Husk, Hope Summers, X-students [Surge, Hellion, X-23, Mercury, Anole, Rockslide, Armor, Blindfold, Dust, et al.]

Realising that Utopia may not be the best place for the students to hone their abilities due to it suddenly being such a public domain, Cyclops asked Danielle Moonstar and Karma - both former leaders - to return to the newly rebuilt X-mansion and train the next generation there. Their old teammate Sunspot decided to accompany them, as did Hope, who found herself forming friendships with some of the younger students, and Husk, who was eager to find a new purpose. Not all of the kids returned to the mansion, but those who did continue to train and develop under the watchful eyes of the former students - the generation that preceded them.

This title would focus on the idea of one young generation - Moonstar, Karma, Sunspot, and Husk - teaching another - the kids and Hope, who continues to learn more about herself and her role as the 'mutant messiah'.

Attempting to create a squad system that uses most of the X-Men is tough. I didn't realize there were so many people on the team, these days. I had to actually skip a few characters.

Uncanny X-Men
Main Cast: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Colossus, Shadowcat, Archangel, Armor

The A-squad and the faces of mutantkind. Cyclops once again attempts to turn the X-Men into proper superheroes, and he organizes a primary team that he personally leads.

I chose those characters due to their relationships with one another. Scott and Emma of course go together. Emma and Shadowcat play off of each other well, and Shadowcat & Colossus just go together. Beast returns to serve as the team's moral compass, as well as to keep an eye on Archangel's transformations. Archangel is there because he's old friends with Cyclops and Beast. Armor... well, she's only ever worked with a team similar to this before.

-----

X-Men
Main Cast: Storm, Wolverine, Gambit, Dazzler, Northstar, Pixie, Psylocke

The B-squad of X-Men. Storm returns to the fold fulltime to lead a team that handles whatever tasks the A-squad isn't available for. This team also handles public relations.

Storm has excellent relationships with Wolverine and Gambit (not so much Wolverine anymore, but I'm not doing an X-Force, so here's to mending relationships). Dazzler and Psylocke make for a fun duo. Dazzler, Northstar, and Pixie are practically joined at the hip.

-----

X-Men Legacy
Main Cast: Rogue, Magneto, Husk, Danielle Moonstar, Prodigy, Surge, Anole, Loa, Dust, Rockslide, X-23, Gentle, Mercury

Rogue is once again put in charge of mentoring the younger mutants in the X-Men. She gets some help from former students Husk and Moonstar, and Magneto gives his unique point of view. As for the students-- consider this both a core X-title and a substitute for the missing Young/New title. The students will be rotating in and out to keep the book from getting too cluttered.

-----

New Mutants
Main Cast: Cannonball, Danielle Moonstar, Karma, Cypher, Magik, Magma, Sunspot, Warpath, Wolfsbane, Warlock

What can I say? It's Cannonball and Dani's team. The New Mutants are reunited, and I've included a couple of additional characters who I felt also fit in with this group.

-----

X-Network
Main Cast: Professor X, Iceman, Cipher, Prodigy, Neal Shaara, Blindfold, Domino

Cyclops asks Professor X to reinstate his old spy network. Charles secretly manages all intel for the X-Men. Iceman is the main operative of the team, having the ability to pass for human and be recognized as a superhero in his icy form if need be. Neal Shaara and Domino are backup operatives. Prodigy stays at base for communications and all tech equipment. Cipher, who was already Cyclops' spy, does recon missions.

The X-Network itself will be a "Who's Who" of the different friends and allies the X-Men have made over the years. Operatives make contact with everyone from Cecilia Reyes to Tom Corsi. A majority of the network will consist of depowered mutants who still want to make a difference. If you've ever read Global Frequency, it's something like that.

-----

X-Club
Main Cast: Dr. Nemesis, Box, Dr. Kavita Rao, Danger

The science fictiony adventures of the X-Club, led by Dr. Nemesis. Think of this group as the X-Men's equivalent of the Fantastic Four (whenever they're acting like explorers instead of crime-fighters).

Characters I couldn't find a place for: Havok, Polaris, Marvel Girl, Hope, Lifeguard, Omega Sentinel.
I suppose I could just make these characters their own team, but I selected all of the above teams based on the relationships between characters (although the X-Network was purely tactical). Alex, Lorna, and Rachel share a bond, but I feel like the others don't really mesh well. Especially Lifeguard. She's lucky I even remember her.

I discussed this topic on another board and it was pretty cool to see a few different ideas, so I thought I'd try and kick-start it here...If you were given free rein to reorganise the X-Men franchise, using only the characters still alive, how would you do it? You can invent new titles and throw characters wherever you want, just as long as they're currently on the board.

Here are my ideas:

Uncanny X-Men

Main Cast: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Angel, Shadowcat, Colossus, Dazzler, Namor

Based on the island Utopia, this team is the public face of mutantkind. Realising the error in his militaristic turn, Cyclops chose to embrace the new Heroic Age and sought to realise Professor Xavier's dream like never before by opening Utopia to the world as a sovereign state, welcoming both mutants and humans alike. He selected his team carefully: Emma, his partner and a redeemed villain to show the public how accepting mutants can be despite their bad press; Beast, publicly renowned for his tenure with the Avengers, who agreed to return to keep the team morally grounded but still has tension with Cyclops; Angel, the wealthy owner of Worthington Industries and Utopia's main financial backer; Shadowcat and Colossus, a likeable, 'normal' long-term couple; Dazzler, a famous pop star; and Namor, another former Avenger and the king of Atlantis.

Working alongside this team is Professor Xavier himself, who provides guidance when needed, and the Black Panther, who has pledged to use his political power to help establish Utopia.

This title would focus on the team dealing with mutant affairs largely outside of Utopia, as well as attempting to improve the image of mutantkind as a whole.

Main Cast: Professor Xavier, Magneto, Madison Jeffries, Dr Cecelia Reyes, Dr Nemesis, Dr Kavita Rao, Danger, Omega Sentinel

With Cyclops leading his team of X-Men, the running of Utopia fell to the unlikely partnership of Professor Xavier and Magneto. The former friends, still uneasy around one another, are forced to work together to hold Utopia together as it experiences an influx of humans, mutants, and publicity. Hoping to keep order, they appoint certain members of the mutant population into positions of authority, creating a ruling council that democratically and informally governs the island. The three remaining members of the X-Club, Madison Jeffries, Dr Nemesis, and Dr Kavita Rao, become the heads of science and technology, while Dr Cecelia Reyes assumes responsibility for Utopia's medical services. Xavier reluctantly allows Danger to be placed in charge of security, and Omega Sentinel acts as her assistant - the council's eyes and ears around Utopia, as well as the head of an informal police group.

Cyclops acts as a consultant to the council, while Angel and Beast retain their connections to the X-Club and are often brought in to cope with particular problems (for the former, financial issues, and for the latter, scientific difficulties). Everyone on Utopia - from Avalanche to Northstar, from Magik to Toad - is under the council's watchful eye.

This title would focus on the inner workings and politics of Utopia, as well as the slow reuilding of Xavier's friendship with Magneto.

A United Nations-backed worldwide police force, this is the official international team that hadles human/mutant disputes. As the founder, Storm was elected leader but was handed a list of names from which to select her team by the UN, who hoped to ensure multi-national diversity. She chose Captain Britain to be her co-leader and also called upon his fellow Englishman, Peter Wisdom; from Israel, she enlisted Sabra due to her past experience with the X-Men during Operation: Zero Tolerance; from Russia's Winter Guard, she recruited Darkstar; and from Canada came Sasquatch. They handle any assignment given to them by the UN and operate across the globe, fighting for peace wherever needed with Steve Rogers as their UN liaison.

This title would essentially be an international, government-mandated version X-Men, giving more obscure characters a chance to shine.

X-Force

Main Cast: Rogue, Havok, Wolverine, Iceman, Cannonball, Gambit, Psylocke, Polaris, Marvel Girl

Unlike the previous incarnation of X-Force, this version of the team does not kill. It does, however, operate out of the public eye and not in connection with Utopia. Rogue felt that Utopia's status as an official state restricted the team's ability to truly protect mutantkind and so broke away from the main group. Iceman and Cannonball, having worked under her before, agreed to follow her despite their reservations about being part of a covert squad. Wolverine, Psylocke, and Gambit were all perfect fits for the team, having had much experience in lying low and doing what is necessary. Rounding out the group is the newly returned spacefarers: Havok, the team's co-leader, Polaris, and Marvel Girl.

This title would follow this secretive team as they worked proactively to take down threats to mutantkind before those threats escalated into the open.

Generation X

Main Cast: Danielle Moonstar, Karma, Sunspot, Husk, Hope Summers, X-students [Surge, Hellion, X-23, Mercury, Anole, Rockslide, Armor, Blindfold, Dust, et al.]

Realising that Utopia may not be the best place for the students to hone their abilities due to it suddenly being such a public domain, Cyclops asked Danielle Moonstar and Karma - both former leaders - to return to the newly rebuilt X-mansion and train the next generation there. Their old teammate Sunspot decided to accompany them, as did Hope, who found herself forming friendships with some of the younger students, and Husk, who was eager to find a new purpose. Not all of the kids returned to the mansion, but those who did continue to train and develop under the watchful eyes of the former students - the generation that preceded them.

This title would focus on the idea of one young generation - Moonstar, Karma, Sunspot, and Husk - teaching another - the kids and Hope, who continues to learn more about herself and her role as the 'mutant messiah'.

I like everything but the X-Force one, That one is Wolverines team and he has really shined there. The last team minus rahyne and I am happy camper, no need for Logan to revert to follower when he has shown to be a good leader in this book. He should not be in any other team book though unless it is a cameo every blue moon.

Here are my ideas:

Uncanny X-Men

X-Force

Generation X

i like alot of your ideas. id only tweak a couple things:
Uncanny- i agree this should be the face of the X-Men. these are the members who would personify the mutants entering the Heroic Age. i like Beast's position with the Avengers and i would hold off having him return to the position of "moral compass". also i would have Wolverine as a public member (Scott's gonna want him on the front lines especially since X-Force doesn't exist *wink wink). if Remender is having Angel struggle with his dark side id only wanna see him handled in one book
Roster: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Wolverine, Colossus, Kitty, Armor, Iceman

X-Men Legacy- i really like the idea of a book about life on Utopia, but i would then change the title of the book so it doesn't look like another "team book" per se, like how Bishop had District X. X-Utopia?
Roster: same as yours

X-Force- i like how X-Force is set up. if your gonna pre-emptively strike your enemies you're most likely gonna have to get your hands dirty. Logan was a great leader and this is the only time i approve of him being on multiple teams. i just don't buy Fantomex being on this team willingly (unless Warren is paying him a truck load to stay). and they started with Pyslocke tackling her dark side in her recent mini, they just need to expand on that so she stays. And Domino should have stayed.
Roster: Wolverine, Archangel, Psylocke, Domino, Deadpool

X-Men- give this it's own adjective (Astonishing, Amazing, Xtreme, whatever) this would be the second line-up, as mentioned earlier, dealing with what the Uncanny team cant get to. i'd like to see a revolving cast led by a member best fit for the mission (Storm, Rogue, maybe Beast should he return). include people like Gambit, Northstar, Dazzler, Havok, Polaris, etc. and i think its time some of the New X-Men be treated as full members.
Roster: non-static

also like the idea of Generation X and X.S.E. i think in my version GenX would feature the five lights and some new mutants along with the New X-Men who can't be full members (*cough Rockslide).

Last edited:
I would like a bit of the 90s back, where they had multiple tites but it was a little more simple.

Uncanny -

Gold Team - Cannonball, Iceman, Rogue, Gambit, Susnpot, Havok, Polaris and some of the former New X-Men.

Objective - Field/Away team.

X-Men (Legacy retitled) -

Blue Team - Cyclops, Hank, Storm, Jubilee, Dani, Husk and the Generation Hope kids.

Objective - School Team.

X-Factor - Multiple Man, Siryn, Wolfsbane, Rictor, Layla, Longshot, Dazzler, M with prof X as advisor.

Objective - Detectives and high profile team interactign regularly with the public.

X-Force - Wolverine, Warren, Psylocke, Domino, Fntomex.

Objective - Covert Team.

There that should be enough I think to get back to basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"