Reviews thread

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/who-is-scott-hoffman-and-did-he-even-watch-the-spirit

Who is Scott Hoffman and Did He Even Watch ‘The Spirit’?

I must say thanks to Peter at SlashFilm as he managed to find the trailer I was unable to as one critic has called The Spirit “Brilliant,” “Jaw-Dropping” and “One of the best films of the year.” I was searching all over YouTube for this thing all day after seeing it numerous times this weekend. The greatest thing is how the voice over guy refers to the person saying these things as “critics” - plural - when it turns out to be someone named Scott Hoffman from MoviePictureFilm.com. Ahhh, what a way to get your name in a trailer eh?

I can assure you that Frank Miller’s The Spirit is not brilliant, not jaw-dropping, is definitely not one of the best films of the year and when Hoffman’s quotes end by saying “It will blow you away,” I don’t think I need to tell you the truth.

Hoffman does not have a published review of the film so he must have been cornered by a Lionsgate publicist (perhaps at gun point) and asked for a pull quote, or two, or three, or four and this is the result. What a joke, I have no problem with someone liking this film, but this is adulation to the point of absurdity and I believe anyone that has also seen this film would agree with me.

Or maybe these positive reviews are from people who honestly enjoyed the film.

There's this Italian comic-book writer who used to consider Miller a comic-book god.
He saw the movie and said it's a piece of turd, "it's not even cinema".

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/who-is-scott-hoffman-and-did-he-even-watch-the-spirit

Who is Scott Hoffman and Did He Even Watch ‘The Spirit’?

I must say thanks to Peter at SlashFilm as he managed to find the trailer I was unable to as one critic has called The Spirit “Brilliant,” “Jaw-Dropping” and “One of the best films of the year.” I was searching all over YouTube for this thing all day after seeing it numerous times this weekend. The greatest thing is how the voice over guy refers to the person saying these things as “critics” - plural - when it turns out to be someone named Scott Hoffman from MoviePictureFilm.com. Ahhh, what a way to get your name in a trailer eh?

I can assure you that Frank Miller’s The Spirit is not brilliant, not jaw-dropping, is definitely not one of the best films of the year and when Hoffman’s quotes end by saying “It will blow you away,” I don’t think I need to tell you the truth.

Hoffman does not have a published review of the film so he must have been cornered by a Lionsgate publicist (perhaps at gun point) and asked for a pull quote, or two, or three, or four and this is the result. What a joke, I have no problem with someone liking this film, but this is adulation to the point of absurdity and I believe anyone that has also seen this film would agree with me.
I've been seeing those TV spots too! I figured it was only from one guy. :lmao: And you can't even really see his name in the ad either, the print is so tiny.

I think if it was a big gun like Roger Ebert, they'd actually say who it was. I thought the TDK TV spot where they used Peter Travers' name and quotes was rather hokey, but at least he's prominent and at least he said those things in his review!

There's this Italian comic-book writer who used to consider Miller a comic-book god.
He saw the movie and said it's a piece of turd, "it's not even cinema".

Well, Europeans do criticize American films more harshly. At Cannes, The Davinci Code was not too well recieved.

Well, Europeans do criticize American films more harshly. At Cannes, The Davinci Code was not too well recieved.

American critics didn't like that movie either. It got only a 25% on RT with an average rating of 4.8/10.

Movie studios have made up fake critics to make fake movie quotes before.

Here's a positive one: http://www.mania.com/review-2-spirit_article_111976.html

MOVIE REVIEW #2- THE SPIRIT

By: Rob M. Worley
Review Date: Monday, December 22, 2008
Source: Mania

What's it about?

Commitment.

It's something that's sometimes hard to find in movies these days. Filmmakers tend to want to walk a middle line, hoping to please the greatest number of potential ticket-buyers. For example, they may say they're making a superhero movie for kids, but if their commitment is weak they'll refuse to put a giant spaceman in it for fear the mainstream won't "get it." They waffle on their commitment and plop out a luke-warm film that passes with many but excites no one.

One problem 'THE SPIRIT' does not have is with commitment. Director Frank Miller has a vision for how Will Eisner's classic comic should be portrayed on the big screen and he ain't going halfway with it.

Gabriel Macht is THE SPIRIT in Frank Miller's adaptation of Will Eisner's classic comic strip
© Lionsgate

Like many comic book stories, 'THE SPIRIT' opens in progress, with its title character (ably played by Gabriel Macht) already in action as the crime-fighting defender of Central City. He quickly finds himself in the middle of a skirmish between a beautiful mystery woman (Eva Mendes as Sand Serif) and his arch-foe The Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson, big as he wants to be). The scene becomes a slug-fest between Spirit and Octopus, two guys who seem impervious to injury. We learn that both men are linked by an unrevealed history, and both their stories are linked to Sand Serif, and the treasure she's stolen, as well.

And so we're invited into the world of 'THE SPIRIT', a timeless and super-stylized place where good guys are good and bad guys are insane, where everyone talks in colorful, meaty slang. A place that looks like an old-time movie, and bounces from one beat to the next like a comic book. A place that looks like it was drawn by a pulp artist, a place of grimy beauty and monochromatic artifice. One thing it certainly is not: it's not the real world.

Due to the unfortunate similarities between some of THE SPIRIT's visuals and the previous Miller-inspired film SIN CITY fans might be inclined to think that this is more of the same. It's not.

THE SPIRIT varies greatly in both tone and style. This movie has a playful, comedic sense. The Spirit is smooth with the ladies and capable in a fight, but that doesn't mean he won't be beaten up, stabbed and shot, and routinely humiliated along the way.

The dialogue here is much more Cary Grant than Mickey Spillane, painting the Spirit as a nice-guy hero rather than a burly, growling man-brute.

The Spirit falls from Eva Mendes' lips
© Lionsgate

And while the movie has its share of stark black and white images, it feels more like an art book with from an artist who is willing to experiment with styles. Miller gives us Lorelei shimmering blue across the screen, or the The Spirit dropping from Sand Serif's giant pink lips like the subject of a Jim Steranko poster, or The Octopus momentarily turning into a cartoon as he chops one of his goons (and the movie screen itself) in half with a samurai sword.

The movie never feels like it was rendered carelessly. It has a ride to take you on and each frame seems like a fulfillment of a clear and specific vision by the director.

Compared to the comics...

I'm not enough of a student of Will Eisner's strip to tell you if Miller captures the essence of it or not.

Fans will surely complain about seeing the Octopus' face, or that the film tampers with the Spirit's origin story or that Miller puts him in a black suit instead of a blue one.

Gabriel Macht bounds over rooftops as THE SPIRIT
© Lionsgate

Fans have been rightfully skeptical that elements of the film look more like Miller's SIN CITY than Eisner's artwork.

But when I see Gabriel Macht bounding over rooftops, looking not at all like Neo from the Matrix but rather like a fanciful figure floating on wires, I'm put in the mind of Eisner's gangly, lumpy drawings of his leading man bounding and nearly stumbling through a fight scene.

When I see The Spirit, hanging helplessly by his coat, having been snagged on a concrete gargoyle horn on the side of the Ares Hotel, it evokes one of the many Eisner drawing's in which The Spirit's suit has been shorn away in some embarrassing manner by a blade meant to kill him.

When I see Gabriel Macht rising out of the muddy waters of the movie, muck oozing off his still-in-place hat, it makes me recall any number of rainy Eisner drawings, where drops of hater hang off the brim like gluey blobs

It's ain't perfect

Jamie King as Lorelei in THE SPIRIT.
© Lionsgate

For all of Miller's go-for-broke artistry THE SPIRIT isn't without its problems.

Miller occasionally subverts his classic tone by letting in modern slang and pop-culture references that break the mood. Notes such as Octopus talking about Sand's "thing for the bling", or Sand prattling on about "Robin the Boy Wonder", or the inexplicable dig at "Star Trek", these break the tune of the otherwise consistent noir-inspired score.

The entire b-plot involving the Lorelei character as some kind of mystical lady in the lake, beckoning our hero into the afterlife, could be removed without affecting the story in the least.

The most cringe-worthy moment in the movie is the climax of "Sand Serif's Secret Origin". It's an emotional turn for the character that's meant to explain her raison d'etre, but it's so clumsily over-enunciated that it rings completely false in both the real world and Miller's stylized film noir world.

So is it any good?

Samuel L. Jackson is The Octopus in THE SPIRIT
© Lionsgate

There's a scene in the movie where The Spirit wakes up tied to a chair. There's a porcelain spit-sink next to him and he says something like "Where am I? It smells dental." He looks up and sees a giant swastika on the wall and mutters, "Great. Dental and Nazi."

The beat is hilarious and carries us into one of the most giddily demented sequences in the movie in which the Octopus and Silken Floss, decked out in full-on SS Nazi uniforms (for no real reason other than it looks cool), commence to try to torture The Spirit to death.

These are the kinds of loopy leaps, the hard left turns, that Miller is willing to make with this movie.

Miller is never overly self-conscious nor is he overly conscientious of your delicate sensibilities as a moviegoer. He's taking you to the place where he wants to take you. It's a place that's not like the real world. It's a movie that's not like the movie you saw last week. It's not even like Sin City.

You can soak in the eye candy, and laugh at the slapstick bits, and enjoy the peculiar way the characters talk, and cheer as The Spirit fights for poor, poor Muffin. You can laugh with the movie, and sometimes even laugh at the movie.

It's a wild ride and, if you're willing, you can go on that ride and have a blast.

From what I see...It's a fun ride...So why go into the ride all stone-faced...That's when you won't like it...!

Anita, you don't have to bring up TDK or Christopher Nolan in every post :yay:

Hey, ManBat, just got back home, and there are like 10,000 posts on here since the weekend began... I saw somewhere in the endless posts where you explained the difference between Denny's death and Denny's comic origin to someone who asked, and you referenced the comics' version maintaining his Wildwood Cemetery mausoleum, but it came across like that isn't in the film.

I really don't know if it is or not, but the cemetery WAS in the trailer, and i know you have the visual guide or whatnot, so is his hideout in the movie?

Last edited:
Hey, ManBat, just got back home, and there are like 10,000 posts on here since the weekend began... I saw somewhere in the endless posts where you explained the difference between Denny's death and Denny's comic origin to someone who asked, and you referenced the comics' version maintaining his Wildwood Cemetery mausoleum, but it came across like that isn't in the film.

I really don't know if it is or not, but the cemetery WAS in the trailer, and i know you have the visual guide or whatnot, so is his hideout in the movie?

Yes, it is! The Spirit: The Movie Visual Companion book reveals that he is actually in his Wildwood Cemetery mausoleum in that first teaser trailer Lionsgate released with the floor full of roaming stray cats were the telephone is ringing which wakes Denny up at night. It just didn't look like he's in Wildwood Cemetery the way Lionsgate cut out of the teaser the part after he gets dressed where he goes outside, and snow is falling on gravestones as the Spirit leaps over the wrought iron cemetery gate. It's all explained in the book.

Another thing the book reveals is that Frank Miller is in the movie as the highly nervous Officer Liebowitz and gets decapitated. :funny:

Decapitation in a Spirit movie? Boy, this just keeps getting better and better.

But if it had to be someone who better than Miller?

Anita, you don't have to bring up TDK or Christopher Nolan in every post :yay:
Yes I do. :hehe:

I do find pull-quotes in TV ads or trailers to be hokey in general. I'm getting sick of seeing ads for Doubt, Valkyrie, and Benjamin Button for this reason. :o

"I'm not enough of a student of Will Eisner's strip to tell you if Miller captures the essence of it or not." - - - The critic said. And the answer is a big honking NO.

Yes, it is! The Spirit: The Movie Visual Companion book reveals that he is actually in his Wildwood Cemetery mausoleum in that first teaser trailer Lionsgate released with the floor full of roaming stray cats were the telephone is ringing which wakes Denny up at night. It just didn't look like he's in Wildwood Cemetery the way Lionsgate cut out of the teaser the part after he gets dressed where he goes outside, and snow is falling on gravestones as the Spirit leaps over the wrought iron cemetery gate. It's all explained in the book.

Another thing the book reveals is that Frank Miller is in the movie as the highly nervous Officer Liebowitz and gets decapitated. :funny:

Sweet about the Wildwood Cemetery thing. Hope he has a couch and a tv in there. :oldrazz:

About the decap... I think Miller has officially died in every film he's been a part of... the writing utensil through the skull from Bullseye being quite appropriate. But, if someone's gonna chop off the part he thinks with, they should have aimed lower... :hehe:

I, too agree, about the chopped quotes in trailers. Any trailer. I was in the airport last night, and on whatever tv station was playing was a new Spirit spot with chop quotes, and I was wondering how "Mind blowing" was in context to the original quote... like "Mindblowingly stupid". And, I'm not saying this against this film, so much as saying, I'm sure that happens a lot.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39511

"Frank Miller has become a man of reduction. Spare dialog. Sparse layouts. Black/White. Stark lines cutting figures out of granite on a comics page. Sin City. The Dark Knight Returns. Ronin. 300. Heralded as Comics’ Dashiell Hammett by way of Will Eisner, Miller's colleague. Friend. Mentor. So in keeping with the spirit of Miller’s most recent work, here’s a reductionist, starkly worded review of his adaptation of Eisner’s “The Spirit.”
Things That Worked:
The score was okay. It was pretty much Danny Elfman’s “Batman.” I think I heard the Batman Theme at least 5 times in it’s entirety. I guess that’s kinda cool. In a stupid way. There’s a misstep, though, when a key moment at the end is scored with what sounds like the Duracell chimes.
He made all the pretty girls look really pretty. Except for maybe Jaime King. She looked like Galadriel tripped and faceplanted into a bedazzler. But Sarah Paulson, Eva Mendes, Scarlett Johannsen? Smokin hot. No question.
There’s a headfoot. It’s kinda funky.
Who knew a thespian of Louis Lombardi's unique talents could effectively play a headfoot? He gleans maybe 2 intentional laughs out of the script. That’s better than Samuel L. Jackson did.
Arthur the Cat nails his role as a meowing cat.
Things That Didn’t Work:
Everything f**king else.
This is not a movie that is so bad it’s good. This is a movie that veers towards that threshold, but is such a failure it can’t even achieve that level of incompetence. It's a limp dick being flogged for 90 minutes and having nothing but a rash to show for it. There isn’t a single 10 minute stretch of this movie that displays any sort of tonal coherence. Not a single performance seems to be in tune with any other performance, and those performances are sometimes out of step with themselves depending on which takes Miller is crazy gluing together. It’s ugly, it’s annoying, and it’s embarrassing.
I’d tell you why the plot doesn’t work but I’ve already forgotten it. I’d highlight some of the particularly horrible parts, but aside from Spirit straightfacedly seducing a woman by quoting Elmer Fudd, anything Eva Mendes does onscreen, and Miller’s inexplicable need to shoehorn in Nazi iconography, I can’t discern individual moments of badness. It runs together like the heated contents of your local diner’s greasetrap. Samuel L. Jackson is trying, but the script is failing him utterly. Gabriel Macht is trying, but there’s nothing to him. I don’t think Scarlett Johannsen is really even trying, honestly.
This is embarrassing because it lays bare the engine that makes propels Frank Miller, and it is an engine fueled by infantile stupidity. He put so much of his personality, his fetishes, his foibles, into every inch of the frame, and I was embarrassed at the resultant mess. It was like the socially awkward uber-nerd in drama class trying to be edgy and funny and quirky all at the same time in the same monologue up in front of the class, and stuttering, stammering and spitting all over himself in an increasingly annoying and loud act of desperate attention ****ing. The movie is constantly begging the viewer to tell it “you’re cool.” “Look at me! Look at this ass! Look at these stiletto heels! Ho Boy look at all this Nazi stuff! Nazis! Look, I’m melting a kitty cat under a nazi flag! Here’s Hitler! I’m shooting the hero with a bunch of huge guns! Look at me look at me look at me!”
Frank Miller is creatively bankrupt and artistically empty. This is a work so bad it calls all his previous good work into question. That’s not an overstatement, or fanboy overreaction. A movie this personal, this crammed full of unmistakable Millerisms, that fails this hard, makes one look back at all his other work and question whether the praise came from a place of severe misunderstanding on the critics’ part. If we’d known this was all there was behind Miller’s cranky glare, would we have judged him a success? Did we project a whole bunch of substance onto those works? Substance that this movie would have us believe Miller himself wouldn’t recognize if it shot him in the chest with 8 barrels?
He can’t make a movie. He can’t write one, he can’t direct one. He can barely make comic books anymore. He saved up all his creative goodwill to do this movie. He had a bank full of chips after Sin City, and cashed them in to realize his vision of his friend’s world. This was his dream. And this is what he did with it. He had his chance, he got his stage, he fixed his spotlight, and he showed us nothing. Less than nothing, honestly, because nothing is understandable. I can wrap my head around the concept of nothing. But what he shone the light on is befuddling, stupid, inept, pointless and sad. I still don’t really get what any of this movie is supposed to do, what it was supposed to make me feel, how it was supposed to grab me. It has all the grip of a quadriplegic. It’s 90 excruciating, interminable minutes that go nowhere, and succeed at almost nothing. Its successes seem accidental. This movie makes the case that Frank Miller is a man who has spent all his life surrounded by creative people, and hasn’t learned a goddamn thing from any of them.
Lasting Effects of This Movie:
From now on, I will hear Dan Lauria’s line readings from this movie whenever I read All-Star Batman and Robin. Regardless of character. Joker. Robin. Black Canary. Doesn’t matter. They’re all Goddamned Dan Goddamned Lauria.
That’s it.
Fatboy Roberts
Afternoons, 101.1 KUFO-FM
[email protected]
www.cortandfatboy.com"

I like this quote from this review particularly: "The ads are quick to remind you Frank Miller is the creator of 300, but the vibe is more early Sam Raimi. Gabriel Macht could certainly go chin-to-chin with Bruce Campbell in a battle royale of dorky machismo.":up:

...and this one too: "The biggest compliment, though, is to Frank Miller who manages to create, with his first feature film, a definite style.":yay:

I like this quote from this review particularly: "The ads are quick to remind you Frank Miller is the creator of 300, but the vibe is more early Sam Raimi. Gabriel Macht could certainly go chin-to-chin with Bruce Campbell in a battle royale of dorky machismo.":up:

...and this one too: "The biggest compliment, though, is to Frank Miller who manages to create, with his first feature film, a definite style.":yay:
Even though I'm still on the fence about this movie it does give me some hope that they compare Macht to Campbell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"