World Richard Donner's Superman III

House_of_El

Defender of Krypton
Reaction score
There was an article about the new Action Comics storyline that Dick Donner is doing with Geoff Johns in Wizard magazine. Dick stated that he and Mankiewicz had ideas for a third installment and wanted Brainiac as the villain of the movie. The storyline I believe is based on his ideas for III. So what would have Richard Donner's Superman III have been like? It would probably have been the best in my opinion. Discuss what you thought it would have been like. :supes:

We just need to keep reading Action Comics. I believe it's been stated that we'll actually get to see Donner's ideas for what would have been his next Superman film within the issues of Action.

OH MAN! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When are the issues debuting?!?!?!?!

Its a shame Donner wasn't allowed to follow through with his vision of Superman with more movies.

They would've been as big as the recent Spider-man movies these days.

I always wondered why Donner didn't go back and do Superman IV when the Salkinds were all but history.

My guess is that the wounds from Superman II were still too fresh.

Super78 said:
Its a shame Donner wasn't allowed to follow through with his vision of Superman with more movies.

They would've been as big as the recent Spider-man movies these days.

I always wondered why Donner didn't go back and do Superman IV when the Salkinds were all but history.

there was no money.

Super78 said:

Because he would have to follow someone elses continuity.

Catman said:
OH MAN! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When are the issues debuting?!?!?!?!

Well Donner's run has already started (we're two issues in) but if I remember correctly, it will be one of the next arcs that will incorporate his ideas for further Superman movies. It may be the arc after this current one, but I'm not positive.

Because Warner's asked he and Mank, but they were kind of burnt out on what happened when they did 1 and 2 with the Salkind's B.S.. Also, he was doing other things like the Lethal Weapon movies. He did try to get involved after he heard what was going on with the Burton crap through the last McG stuff a few times, but the Warner's execs newly in place wanted nothing to do with him as they were listening to John Peters going "I don't want capes or blue suits and he has to be dark like Batman"

mathhater said:
Well Donner's run has already started (we're two issues in) but if I remember correctly, it will be one of the next arcs that will incorporate his ideas for further Superman movies. It may be the arc after this current one, but I'm not positive.

Yeah, Donner's Superman III story will be the very next arc after "Last Son" ends. Brainiac will be the villain in Donner's upcoming SIII story.

Personally, I can't wait for it and I'm loving the current story as well...

buggs0268 said:
He did try to get involved after he heard what was going on with the Burton crap through the last McG stuff a few times, but the Warner's execs newly in place wanted nothing to do with him as they were listening to John Peters going "I don't want capes or blue suits and he has to be dark like Batman"

Pretty ironic too, when you think about it. WB wouldn't listen to Donner but Singer was able to convince not only the studio but Jon Peters himself that a Donner sequel was the right way to go.

BenReilly19 said:
Yeah, Donner's Superman III story will be the very next arc after "Last Son" ends. Brainiac will be the villain in Donner's upcoming SIII story.

Damn! I've missed out already! So, what exactly is going on? Like what exactly is Donner and Mank doing?!

Cannibal Feast said:
They should bring Donner in for the SR sequel.

:wow: :up: Man! I creamed my undies on the thought. :o

He should do Captain Marvel! WB are committed to failure right now.

It's funny that all the filmmakers in the mix for Superman Returns were all "new blood" and not actually good filmmakers with long track records of continued success.

If they wanted to continue the Donnerverse from Superman 2, who better than Donner himself.

Cannibal Feast said:
They should bring Donner in for the SR sequel.
he did help out on Superman Returns you know .... but only in the start before they got a green light...
the superman Returns Script was "Donner approved"

Kebab gud said:
he did help out on Superman Returns you know .... but only in the start before they got a green light...

The script he read was nowhere near the film that was released.

Plus, Donner had no production influence.

no one has answered my question :(

matthooper said:
The script he read was nowhere near the film that was released.

Plus, Donner had no production influence.
edit by me

Kebab gud said:
I believe that he purposely stayed out of anything to do with the production. He even said it in an interview that he was purposely keeping himself out of it as he didn't want to know anythign about it and just watch it in the theater. As far as aproved the script, I never heard that. All the two ever said was that he pitched the idea he had to Donner in Texas, and Donner said "That is great. You have my blessing". Basically if Donner didn't give his blessing, he would not have gone to Warner's to pitch it. I also believe Donner gave his blessing as he would be dragged to their trailer where they would watch STM on their breaks and they were so into STM that Donner felt they would be right for the job. I have not read anywhere of Donner aproving a script in any stage. He just got the pitch that Singer pitched the studio.

Catman said:
Damn! I've missed out already! So, what exactly is going on? Like what exactly is Donner and Mank doing?!

Just Geoff Johns and Richard Donner with Adam Kubert doing the art. Tom Mankiewicz has nothing to do with it.

Their first (current) arc is called "Last Son". It's about a Kryptonian boy who crash lands in Metropolis and Superman takes the boy under his care but with a great twist to it all.

Bizzaro made an appearance in the last issue and had a big downtown brawl with Supes.

Also, Zod, Ursa and Non appeared in the last issue as well...

AC845_22_23_clrR1.jpg
Johns and Donner have only been on for the last two issues of Action Comics (844-845), so there is still a good chance you might be able to find them down at your local comic shop.

The first issue was worth it. Haven't read the second issue yet but that spoiler has me drooling.

BenReilly19 said:
Just Geoff Johns and Richard Donner with Adam Kubert doing the art. Tom Mankiewicz has nothing to do with it.

Their first (current) arc is called "Last Son". It's about a Kryptonian boy who crash lands in Metropolis and Superman takes the boy under his care but with a great twist to it all.

Bizzaro made an appearance in the last issue and had a big downtown brawl with Supes.

Also, Zod, Ursa and Non appeared in the last issue as well...

AC845_22_23_clrR1.jpg
Johns and Donner have only been on for the last two issues of Action Comics (844-845), so there is still a good chance you might be able to find them down at your local comic shop.

AWESOME! :D

:eek: HOLY S**T! Must...get...that...comic! :super:

BenReilly19 said:
Pretty ironic too, when you think about it. WB wouldn't listen to Donner but Singer was able to convince not only the studio but Jon Peters himself that a Donner sequel was the right way to go.
But was ultimately proven that it was the wrong way to go.

I remember Donner talking about the Batman Vs Superman movie in 2000ish (the Wolfgang Peterson preoject). Donner said he'd love to do another Superman as well. He said, "It wouldn't just be 'Superman 5', it would be 'SUPERMAN!'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"