Ridley Scott’s Napoleon (Phoenix)

Surprise, Hollywood's still a misogynistic, lookist, ageist industry. Kirby is just being complicit.

If this was for some modern love story I could understand, but it’s Napoleon. Actor age difference means nothing in the context of this film. It’s not meant to be sexy lol

And Kirby isn’t some young ingenue, she’s 33 years old! People don’t need to infantilize her here, which is its own kind of creepy.

Last edited:
I think my issue, and a lot of other peoples’ issue who are more familiar with this part of history, is that Josephine in real life was six years older than Napoleon. They had a real opportunity to contribute to destroying the ageism tradition in Hollywood by casting an older, more age appropriate actress, or least someone around the same age as Joaquin, but they still went younger. While I do have issue with the age gap, and still think it’s kind of weird they keep doing it, it’s less the idea of “they cast a younger actress” and feels more like “older women can’t be beautiful or doesn’t fit our standards of what beauty should be”.

Not to mention, Joaquin as Napoleon is probably supposed to be playing as young as 26, since that’s when Napoleon and Josephine first met, way into his 40’s. I can buy the latter, but unless Ridley Scott decides to implement deaging technology on this film for Joaquin, it would take a lot for me to strain credulity, no matter great of an actor he is.

This isn’t two people of significant age difference who happen to fall in love in real life. This is Hollywood still implementing an outdated tradition of casting a younger actress and a significantly older actor when they should both be around the same age or the actress is playing a role meant for an older woman. It isn’t isolated to just this movie.

I’m not saying I’m a hardcore advocate or anything, but it’s something I’ve noticed for some years now and it’s weird that some in Hollywood still continue to do it despite how times and how much ideas on older women in society have changed. Hollywood is still behind on this and really needs to play catch up.

Last edited:
Frankly I'm still amazed people expect any historical accuracy from Ridley's historical fiction. The man has been doing this since Gladiator. That film is a **** show dumpster fire in terms of history, but its a great film. KOH is the same. He cares about drama, looks, action, and thrills. He will absolutely Butcher history if he thinks it makes for better looking designs or a more thrilling story. Pick your battles. Historical accuracy isnt a fight you can win with Ridley.

And Kirby is great and beautiful so I'm happy with this casting.

I always thought Napoleon put his hand into his jacket, right above his chest…not into his junk like Al Bundy does

Napolean is the Al Bundy of the 1700s.

iu

Last edited:
I always thought Napoleon put his hand into his jacket, right above his chest…not into his junk like Al Bundy does
His hands are behind a cloth waistbelt. Not in his pants waistband.

Also, pants were worn at the waist and not on the hips like they are today, and notice that the front of that style of jacket only comes down to the waistline so his hands are closer to his navel than his junk.

Last edited:
Really wish they'd try harder with titles sometimes.

Really wish they'd try harder with titles sometimes.
I get it but even when it was announced I knew there was no way that the final title would end up being Kitbag.

Looks really great! It actually looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, compared to some of Scott's other period epics. Phoenix playing an "anti-hero" is always fun lol

Looks okay. Not sure what I expected, but for Phoenix being such a method actor, I expected more of an effort putting on an accent.
Seems like they went the Amadeus route with everyone speaking with their own native accents. Odd choice but I suppose it makes about as much sense as French people having English accents which we've also seen a few times before this in movies like Les Miserables and the live action Beauty and the Beast.

Saw the trailer for this earlier and honestly, I'm actually really looking forward to this. Ridley has had some real stinkers over the years, but the man still knows how to make a movie look/feel EPIC asf.

Just like The Last Duel you can definitely see the budget onscreen and I really appreciate that considering only a few directors nowadays can or know how to actually pull that off or even care too.

Christopher Nolan and Denis Villeneuve being the best examples of those IMO.

I really don't want to be pessimistic about this, but I really have no idea how you can tell Napoleon's life story in a single film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"