Ridley Scott’s Napoleon (Phoenix)

Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon is weird but potentially interesting casting.

Phoenix is always interesting casting for anyone.

I’m sure there’s actual significance to it, but I love a title that sounds like sheer nonsense when you look at it alongside the film’s subject.

I wish I could get excited for a Ridley Scott movie still.

Their previous collaboration was a great one! Whatever it will be we know two things; great lead performance and beautiful to look at.

Kitbag ? Does someone knows why the movie is named after a sport bag ?

Kitbag ? Does someone knows why the movie is named after a sport bag ?

The film’s title is derived from the saying “There is a general’s staff hidden in every soldier’s kitbag.” The film is an original and personal look at Napoleon’s origins and his swift, ruthless climb to emperor, viewed through the prism of his addictive and often volatile relationship with his wife and one true love, Josephine. The intention of the film is to capture Napoleon’s famous battles, relentless ambition and astounding strategic mind as an extraordinary military leader and war visionary.

It is a pretty obscure saying to make the title of the movie. How many people are gonna see that title and have any idea what this is supposed to be about?

They should just retitle it its about Napoleon yo.

It will probably named as such in France.

If I had a tweeter account, I would post an outraged message because a Corse actor wasn't cast as Napo. (kidding of course).

I looked it up, and, "Every private in the French army carries a Field Marshall wand in his knapsack," is a Napoleon quote. The kitbag variation doesn't look to be a thing, or at least not enough of a thing to return any results.

I looked it up, and, "Every private in the French army carries a Field Marshall wand in his knapsack," is a Napoleon quote. The kitbag variation doesn't look to be a thing, or at least not enough of a thing to return any results.

Dixit https://www.defense.gouv.fr the saying is a kind of summary of a speech given by Louis XVIII before Saint Cyr students (Saint Cyr is a military school created by Napoleon).
The spirit of it is : anyone has his/her chances at success (Maréchal being a high military distinction)

Full article for those versed in esoteric languages: : https://www.defense.gouv.fr/actualites/articles/le-saviez-vous-comment-obtenir-son-baton-de-marechal

A proper translation of kitbag would be giberne.
Call it Bonaparte, it's catchy in all languages.

I want to see who plays Wellington.

I love the idea of someone going to the theater and picking this movie to watch because they think it's gonna be about sports, haha.

Yup, my thoughts, when I read the title for Last Duel for the first time…

I for one couldn't be happier this movie is actually getting a creative and original title, compared to most of what comes out of Hollywood these days. :shrug:

Yeah other directors would‘e given it a title like Bonaparte (like Spencer or Jobs)

What is it with Hollywood and still casting a female actress in their 20’s who’s about 20 years or so younger than the male lead who’s in their mid to late 40s? Is it because they want the actress to look “mature” but also youthful, and the male actor can’t look like the traditional rugged and manly specimen unless he’s older? In regards to Suicide Squad, Jared Leto is practically old enough to be Margot Robbie’s dad.

I mean, you have people like Marion Cottliard and Charlize Theron right there, talented, middle-aged actresses who still look exceptionally beautiful for their age and could kill a role like this in their sleep.

The stigma behind this is kind of weird, and also kind of disgusting and creepy. I really wish they would do away with this already.

What is it with people still complaining about a 20 year age difference being „disgusting and creepy“…
I have a lot people around me, where the wife is 10-15 years younger. And the me are not rich sugardaddies. My uncle was 15 years older than my aunt, when he married her in the 1960‘s and they were poor people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"