Ridley Scott’s Napoleon (Phoenix)

Trailer looked good to me and I’m sure Phoenix will do a great job as Napoleon. Definitely planning to catch this in the cinema.

Ah, this brings me back to when Twitter users were telling everyone that Genghis Khan was a terrible person as if it was some new revelation and acted like people are worshipping the guy or something.
It’s a shame the internet wasn’t a big deal when I saw Silence of the Lambs to tell me that Lecter and Bill weren’t the pleasant heroes they come across as. I only found out much later in life that there was a darker side to (both of) them and it was a crushing disappointment. :csad:

It’s a shame the internet wasn’t a big deal when I saw Silence of the Lambs to tell me that Lecter and Bill weren’t the pleasant heroes they come across as. I only found out much later in life that there was a darker side to (both of) them and it was a crushing disappointment. :csad:
I was shocked when I found out that there was an NFL football team named after Buffalo Bill. :o

I was shocked when I found out that there was an NFL football team named after Buffalo Bill. :o
To be fair I’m guessing they were named also before they had the internet to break the news to them. From now on when films are made about seemingly nice historical figures like Hitler/Stalin etc I will check wiki/Twitter ahead of time as it looks like you can’t be too careful. :csad:

The Washington Redskins should have changed their name to Washington Marxes just for ****s and giggles

Between Napoleon and Killers of the Flower Moon, it seems like using anachronistic music for trailers is in. lol

No one:

Joker Phenoix Napoleon:

im-built.gif

Napoleon

So as I think most of us expected when Scott already started talking about an extended cut before release, we have another Kingdom of Heaven situation where the theatrical version is cut to hell and we will need to see an extended director's cut to fully appraise this film.

Napoleon

So as I think most of us expected when Scott already started talking about an extended cut before release, we have another Kingdom of Heaven situation where the theatrical version is cut to hell and we will need to see an extended director's cut to fully appraise this film.

I saw the film earlier and it is very disjointed and choppy.

Vanessa Kirby is the standout performance of the film.

I didn't care for Joaquin Phoenix's performance. It felt like he couldn't really nail down what he was doing, so he was just trying a bunch of different things. It's a weird awkward performance. I don't really get any of the charisma or sense of leadership that made Napoleon so dangerous and inspired such loyalty in his followers.

I look forward to the inevitable History Buffs video on this movie due to Ridley Scott's grouchy responses towards folks pointing out major historical inaccuracies. :funny:

Visually it's a feast that should be experienced in a theater, but this cut is chopped up to the point I'd almost recommend waiting for the complete Apple version of the film, if you're not intending to watch both. It's epic, but it doesn't exactly work in its current form.

Visually it's a feast that should be experienced in a theater, but this cut is chopped up to the point I'd almost recommend waiting for the complete Apple version of the film, if you're not intending to watch both. It's epic, but it doesn't exactly work in its current form.

Not surprised it's getting such mixed reviews.

Personally, I really, really liked this movie. Yes, it's a bit choppy in highlighting Napoleon's rise to emperor. But goddamn, those battle scenes are amazing. The film is quite raw in its depiction of the time period, which is my favourite part about it. I know I'm in the minority, but I personally enjoyed this more than Oppenheimer. Don't hang me for that opinion please.

I'll probably wait until this is on AppleTV+. I want to see it but I think I want to see a film of Ridley Scott just telling people to piss off about the historical inaccuracies for two hours even more. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"