• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Ridley Scott Considers “The Wailing” Remake

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score

By
Garth Franklin -

Thursday, January 19th 2017 3:46 pm
http://cdn2.darkhorizons.com/wp-con...ey-scott-plans-english-the-wailing-remake.jpg

It scored rave reviews and appeared on plenty ‘Best Films of 2016’ critics lists. So it comes as little surprise that an English-language remake of Na Hong-Jin’s semi-supernatural mystery thriller “The Wailing” may soon be on the way as Ridley Scott’s Scott Free is looking into the remake rights.
The original film follows a policeman who teams up with a shaman and a mysterious woman to investigate mysterious killings and illnesses around a village in the mountains of South Korea. The incidents are timed with the arrival of an elderly Japanese man.
Fox International Hosung Kim tells Screen Daily that there’s a big challenge to getting this remake right due to the original’s tone which combined gorgeous widescreen visuals, wacky black comedy, gruesome police procedural, and some seriously creepy horror elements. As a result, Kim says they are being very protective of the original property:
“They said ‘The Wailing’ reminded them of films such as ‘The Exorcist,’ ‘The Ring’ and ‘Seven’. The locality and sensibility of ‘The Wailing’ is so strong that I don’t think it would be easy to do a Western remake, and it will be important who directs it. So I told him I think the only director who could do the remake is Na Hong Jin. But we are still in early stages of talks. We’re being careful. As you know, there are a lot of remakes out there being developed [that haven’t come to fruition].”
“The Wailing” is currently available to rent or buy on U.S. VOD services like iTunes and Amazon.

you cant do this movie with an american remake its impossible

i recently saw it and i quite liked it but it is very weird

No.

Last edited:
Also, the Koreans have a very specific kind of humor. It's very dry, black comedy with screwball elements. You can have a dark subject matter, then have a lead who is completely bumbling, and yet it works in that world.

The only American directors I can think of that handle that type of tone shift are the Cohen Brothers.

Also, the Koreans have a very specific kind of humor. It's very dry, black comedy with screwball elements. You can have a dark subject matter, then have a lead who is completely bumbling, and yet it works in that world.

The only American directors I can think of that handle that type of tone shift are the Cohen Brothers.

It's also built into the Korean culture that all police officers are corrupt or incompetent. Or both. The Wailing is so culture specific that translating it is a fool's errand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"