Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81214
Source: Deadline
August 18, 2011

tony-scott-wild-bunch.jpg

Tony Scott is in talks to remake the 1969 Sam Peckinpah western The Wild Bunch, Deadline reports.

Set in 1913, the original film starred William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Edmond O'Brien, Ben Johnson and Warren Oates as a band of outlaws in the final days of the wild west. There's no word yet on whether or not the new Warner Bros. version will reimagine the setting or if it will remain a straightforward period remake.
I like Tony Scott and I think this can work if it's transplanted, like how The Seven Samurai became The Magnificent Seven, or Yojimbo was retooled as A Fistful of Dollars. However if it's a western remake it's a fail as the original is great as it is.

I havent seen the original but Ive read about it and it sounded like a movie that basically dealt with people unable to adapt to a changing world. A violent group no doubt.

If not set in the old west, when/where would you think it could be set while still revisiting the basic theme above?

I was thinking something like the mafia or something but I dont know.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81214
I like Tony Scott and I think this can work if it's transplanted, like how The Seven Samurai became The Magnificent Seven, or Yojimbo was retooled as A Fistful of Dollars. However if it's a western remake it's a fail as the original is great as it is.

I think this could retooled as something gangland. Not sure how I feel about this being a remake. It's one of my favorite westerns.

I hope to hell it's not transplanted to a different setting and genre. The Wild Bunch is one of the all-time greats not only of Western film, but of movies in general.

And with Hollywood's tendency to remain faithful to Western remakes lately (True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma) , I'm sure that's what attracted Tony to it in the first place.

Besides, the 1913 Mexican setting has already proven tremendously popular in recent months in the video game Red Dead Redemption, one of the biggest-selling games of all time. I think fans would love to see something that is essentially their game come to life.

With 100% more Shaky Cam and spastic quick cuts!

Why must Hollywood continue to piss on Peckinpah's booze-soaked grave?

When there's Spanish subtitles it'll come straight from the actor's mouths.

Set it in modern times and get a kick ass cast and I will be all for this.

Though I'm curious to see if Tony applies his insanity to the Western genre.

Hopefully this wont get canned for costing $250 million.

I'm thinking;

Denzel Washington as Pike Bishop
Mickey Rourke as Dutch Engstrom
Bruce Willis as Deke Thornton
Robert De Niro as Freddy Sykes
Kurt Russell and Michael Beihn as the Gorch Brothers
Ryan Gosling as Angel
Antonio Banderas as General Mapache

Last edited:
Tony Scott has made some classics but he's been a hit or a miss as of late.

I liked Unstoppable. It's not a classic but definitely a decent flick

Harrison Ford should be cast in this.

Hope Ernest Borgnine will be cast as his Character from the Original movie.

I liked Unstoppable. It's not a classic but definitely a decent flick

Harrison Ford should be cast in this.

You see you can't make the remake only a 'decent flick' when the orginal was groundbreaking, raw and influential. It along with Bonnie & Clyde, and the French Wave paved the path for American films in the 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"