RIP Comic-Con?

I love SDCC the way it is right now. Aren't there comic conventions that are just comics already?

i find this the point of view of people who actually go to Comic-con

Wouldn't some people see this as the rebirth of Comiccon, considering it might actually go back to being about comics again?
That's what I'm thinking. It's a reason I haven't gone to Comic Con and stuck to WonderCon, which has less of the movie glam, but more of what I'm interested in, comic books, artists, games etc.

i find this the point of view of people who actually go to Comic-con

I actually have never been to SDCC but I have seen some panels on youtube. I enjoy the panels that aren't necessarily comic related like the Fringe or Chuck panels. I like the fact that SDCC has expanded from just comic books.

SDCC has always been about more than just comics...Lucas promoted Star Wars there back in the 70's.
However I find it hypocritical to try to cut out non comic stuff because of Twilight. No one complained when Peter Jackson showcased LOTR. No one complained when Tarantino showcased Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds.

Twilight is an example where it got out of hand. It could've been anything else that could've been in another more appropriate convention and the problem would be the same.

Twilight is an example where it got out of hand. It could've been anything else that could've been in another more appropriate convention and the problem would be the same.

I have been to many Comic Cons before Twilight was written and the camping in Hall H thing is not a new thing.
In fact I went to the Comic Con the year they announced Doc Ock and showed what he'd look like in Spider-man 2. To go to the Spider-man presentation which was at 4pm I had to get into Hall H at 8am and stay there.

Those things shouldn't have been there. They are not comics and Lord of the Rings fits better in other cons.

Wait. Is SDCC the only comic book convention out there at the moment?

No. There's a ton of other comic conventions in different cities, some with a bigger presence, others with a smaller more personal presence.

I really don't get it. Comic-Con is not some tool for these large companies to advertise and make money. I always used studio panels in Hall H to learn more about the movie and what goes on during the creation process. It is a really cool way to get hands on experience with these studios. Comic-Con, is after all, a non-profit organization...

And last year, Disney spent a ton advertising Tron at Comic-Con, building elaborate sets and movie re-creations. That was ******ed. Comic-Con attendees are going to see Tron anyways, so why spend millions to reach out to 100,000 people who are already going to see Tron?

And WB was really weak last year at Comic-Con. They had a cool exhibition station, but their panels were weak. The GL panel was disappointing (besides the Reynolds interviews), Sucker-Punch was weak and they really didn't do much at the panel about Harry Potter or anything else.

Comic-Con has shaped what I want to do for a career. I just finished my Sophomore year at USC in the school of business and after attending Comic-Con for 2 years I decided to pick up another major (which costs a lot more money) in cinematic arts because I want to work for a company like WB or Marvel Studios when I enter the work force.

I actually turned down an internship with Disney so I could attend Comic-Con one more time as a regular. This news is really upsetting.

(P.S., this probably means no viral at Comic-Con...)

Well I am flying from Switzerland for Comic Con so I hope whatever it is, the program is fun and exciting.

I really want to care, but I can't because it's reached the point where it's nearly impossible to buy tickets to Comic Con in the first place.

I find it hard to believe Marvel won't be there with something to show fans with The Avengers. Those others studios said to be not showing up? Yeah...I can see that.

They're slowly realizing that the success or failure of these big genre films have nothing to do with the Comic-Con crowd. Because they're all going to see the movies regardless. So going out of their way, making big presentations and kissing fanboys' butts isn't going to add to their bottom-line when said film finally opens.

Ironically the big tentpole that will make the biggest splash this year, The Amazing Spider-Man, is sitting in a position where it shouldn't be worried about the Comic-Con crowd but most importantly the general public who are still greatly indifferent and/or negative about replacing the cast of the Sam Raimi films and rebooting everything back to another origin story.
:up:

I've never been, probably never will, but every account I've heard say all it is is standing in line and barely moving.

I can't believe you did that.

There was more too it that than, but who wants to work for Disney? Bunch'o Nazis! I prefer WB.

I've never been, probably never will, but every account I've heard say all it is is standing in line and barely moving.

People just like to complain. Comic-Con has changed, and definitely has gotten a lot cooler. Now, producers, writers, directors and casts show up to panels about movies, television, projects, animated series, toy lines, etc... It really has something for everyone. Waiting in line is definitely something that must be included if you want a cool experience.

Other than Hall H, I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes in line for a panel I wanted to see. One time I waited 20 minutes for an Archer panel and was one of the last people in. That was probably the worst experience other than Hall H, which I now get up at 5 am and wait 5 hours haha (well maybe not anymore if WB and Disney don't show...)

I really want to care, but I can't because it's reached the point where it's nearly impossible to buy tickets to Comic Con in the first place.
I know, right? :funny:

I really don't get it. Comic-Con is not some tool for these large companies to advertise and make money. I always used studio panels in Hall H to learn more about the movie and what goes on during the creation process. It is a really cool way to get hands on experience with these studios. Comic-Con, is after all, a non-profit organization...

And last year, Disney spent a ton advertising Tron at Comic-Con, building elaborate sets and movie re-creations. That was ******ed. Comic-Con attendees are going to see Tron anyways, so why spend millions to reach out to 100,000 people who are already going to see Tron?

And WB was really weak last year at Comic-Con. They had a cool exhibition station, but their panels were weak. The GL panel was disappointing (besides the Reynolds interviews), Sucker-Punch was weak and they really didn't do much at the panel about Harry Potter or anything else.

Comic-Con has shaped what I want to do for a career. I just finished my Sophomore year at USC in the school of business and after attending Comic-Con for 2 years I decided to pick up another major (which costs a lot more money) in cinematic arts because I want to work for a company like WB or Marvel Studios when I enter the work force.

I actually turned down an internship with Disney so I could attend Comic-Con one more time as a regular. This news is really upsetting.

(P.S., this probably means no viral at Comic-Con...)
Unfortunately that's exactly what these companies see Comic Con as - a venue to market their wares. They don't spend the money to fly/house directors and actors there out of the goodness of their hearts for the fans. They do it to build hype and for that hype to result in butts in theater seats and money in their pockets. It's just the reality of business.

Speaking of viral marketing, this article touched off a discussion I've been having over Twitter with my 42E :ninja: and some other ARG folk - they (and I) believe the era of large-scale, big-budget ARGs is over. Because the companies aren't getting the ROI they wanted when they got into it in the first place. It simply isn't cost-effective on a large scale. Now you can advertise your movie FOR FREE on Facebook and Twitter, so why in the world would you pay someone else to come up with a storyline and distribute/make swag and plan out events? It's not callous, it's just business. I'm not surprised at all. In fact I would have been surprised if it had turned out any other way.

Besides, the ARG medium is inherently self-limiting in its scope and audience reach anyway. We were lucky to get TDK before the big companies realized this. :hehe:

There was more too it that than, but who wants to work for Disney?
I do. :csad:

As for SDCC, I don't want it to change, unless it's changing the name. I LOVE having an all-encompassing Con for all the entertainment stuff I love in one place. I always look forward to the various panels like it's Christmas in July. I agree that it stopped being a "comic-con" a long time ago, but there are plenty of big comic-cons, no? Just change the name to Uber-Con and be done with it.

I know, right? :funny:

Unfortunately that's exactly what these companies see Comic Con as - a venue to market their wares. They don't spend the money to fly/house directors and actors there out of the goodness of their hearts for the fans. They do it to build hype and for that hype to result in butts in theater seats and money in their pockets. It's just the reality of business.
Anita you are aware that more then half SHH members belive here that actors and director fly to CC for the fans right?:awesome:

they belive with all their heart that they are doing this for us :lmao:

Anita you are aware that more then half SHH members belive here that actors and director fly to CC for the fans right?:awesome:

they belive with all their heart that they are doing this for us :lmao:
Oh to be that innocent again. :funny:

Honestly, these companies don't owe us anything. They don't even owe us a good movie, let along trailers or posters released in a timely manner. If their movies are bad, we won't watch them and they lose money. Simple as that.

Although to be fair, after all the time and effort I put into the TDK ARG, I would have been really disappointed if the movie had turned out bad. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"