Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Reaction score

I'll be seeing this neXt Wednesday. Do you eXpect a fresh, certified fresh or rotten rating for The Marvels? Polls are gone (I think) so there is no poll in this thread.

Based from the stuff I saw, I would be surprised if this ends up as the 3rd rotten film from The Marvels Studios. So I think as usual with Marvel Studios, its another certified fresh movie!

Based on what I've seen I'd be surprised if it's not rotten. It could end up being barely fresh, but I can't see it as certified at the moment.

Two rotten films in a single year will be such a bad look for Marvel Studios. They were doing so well from 2008 to 2019.

I honestly don't think it will be rotten but Disney sure is nervous. Apparently, they haven't even screened the movie to critics yet.

I honestly don't think it will be rotten but Disney sure is nervous. Apparently, they haven't even screened the movie to critics yet.
Thats a bad sign. However, is there even going to be a movie premiere for this? Thats probably why the movie isn't screened to critiX?

There are various factors that indicate a messy film. Lifting both social media and review embargo at the last possible moment, an unusually record breaking (for the studio) short runtime, a ballooned budget, multiple sets of extensive reshoots, a director admitting she didn't have much freedom in this whole thing in the first place and a few scoopers or "scoopers" who are saying they hear the film is not good. I guess all of them individually could be ignored but together they seem to form a pattern and a combination of things that we haven't really seen in any other MCU film. So even if it's not rotten, it can't possibly be more than 60s at the very best. Can it?

Thats a bad sign. However, is there even going to be a movie premiere for this? Thats probably why the movie isn't screened to critiX?

A red carpet premiere of any sort is probably dependent on the strike. If the strike persists, or if there's not enough time, Disney probably can't have one. Even if they could, they'd probably have to scramble something together for next...Wednesday, I think? Knowing Disney, they probably could, but again, all depends on whether the actor's strike ends, or continues.

A red carpet premiere of any sort is probably dependent on the strike. If the strike persists, or if there's not enough time, Disney probably can't have one. Even if they could, they'd probably have to scramble something together for next...Wednesday, I think? Knowing Disney, they probably could, but again, all depends on whether the actor's strike ends, or continues.
I think there won't be one in North America. Maybe in South Korea or China because of the South Korean actor.

There are various factors that indicate a messy film. Lifting both social media and review embargo at the last possible moment, an unusually record breaking (for the studio) short runtime, a ballooned budget, multiple sets of extensive reshoots, a director admitting she didn't have much freedom in this whole thing in the first place and a few scoopers or "scoopers" who are saying they hear the film is not good. I guess all of them individually could be ignored but together they seem to form a pattern and a combination of things that we haven't really seen in any other MCU film. So even if it's not rotten, it can't possibly be more than 60s at the very best. Can it?
Given that both Quantumania and Eternals didn't even stabilize at 50s. I'll take 60s as a win since its a fresh rating, even if its not really a good rt rating.

This is what has me worried the most.

The runtime doesn't worry me. From the trailers, there are only siX main characters plus Kamala's family members and the cats.

Not every film has to be more than two hours.

Have any spoilers leaked yet, I’m curious who the character is thar comes through the bigfrost on that tv spot.

The runtime doesn't worry me. From the trailers, there are only siX main characters plus Kamala's family members and the cats.

Again, the runtime on its own doesn't mean much. But even besides the fact that it's extremely rare for a film of this scope and caliber to be well under two hours, if you combine it with a 275 million budget and multiple sets of reshoots, it's pretty obvious the film underwent many changes. And that is the troubling bit here.

Again, the runtime on its own doesn't mean much. But even besides the fact that it's extremely rare for a film of this scope and caliber to be well under two hours, if you combine it with a 275 million budget and multiple sets of reshoots, it's pretty obvious the film underwent many changes. And that is the troubling bit here.

Marvel movies have always gone through changes during reshoots. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Also, I think it's a little disingenuous to quote the budget as 275 million even though they received a government subsidy of 55M. If we didn't take those into account when talking about budgets then a lot of movies would have far bigger numbers in their budget column.

Have any spoilers leaked yet, I’m curious who the character is thar comes through the bigfrost on that tv spot.
The main plot leaked about a year ago. And yea the person who comes through the bridge has been leaked as well.

Yeah 275 million doesn't count anymore as the "budget.", since they already recovered 55 million before the film was even released and edited. I remember X-Men First Class also getting a subsidy money from the UK government.

You know what, you might be right after all about the reshoots being worrying.

This just got published:

Directed by Nia DaCosta, “The Marvels” unites Larson’s heroine with two superpowered allies, Teyonah Parris’ Monica Rambeau (introduced in the 2021 Disney+ series “WandaVision”) and Iman Vellani’s Kamala Khan (first seen in the 2022 series “Ms. Marvel”). But instead of seamlessly building on the success of “Captain Marvel,” this move resulted in four weeks of reshoots to bring coherence to a tangled storyline.

Then eyebrows were raised again when DaCosta began working on another film while “The Marvels” was still in postproduction — the filmmaker moved to London earlier this year to begin prepping for her Tessa Thompson drama “Hedda.” (A representative for DaCosta declined to comment.)

“If you’re directing a $250 million movie, it’s kind of weird for the director to leave with a few months to go,” says a source familiar with the production.

“The Marvels” has seen its release date moved back twice, too, once to swap places with “Quantumania,” which was deemed further along, and again when its debut shifted from July to November to give the filmmakers more time to tinker. But that extra time didn’t necessarily help. In June, Marvel, which traditionally only solicits feedback from Disney employees and their friends and families, took the uncharacteristic step of holding a public test screening in Texas. The audience gave the film middling reviews.

Sounds like Nia DaCosta wasn't even involved with the final edit.

Why would she work in another film when The Marvels is still in post production? That sounds so unprofessional.

Yeah because it wasn't just reshoots like I said. It was multiple and extensive, hence the ballooned budget. Even with the reduction the money originally spend is not typical and probably occurred because of changes. That was my point.

Interesting info. I knew Nia DaCosta claiming it was more of a Feige movie was no coincidence. I'm guessing we'll be hearing more stuff like that in the future.

NeXt week is going to be a break or make it moment for Marvel Studios isn't it?

BoX office
Reviews (rotten or not)
Audience reception
How this film sets up future MCU projects

I'm gonna be terminally online for this (and Loki also ends neXt week).

Why would she work in another film when The Marvels is still in post production? That sounds so unprofessional.

Quite a few experienced directors do this (Ridley Scott comes to mind) but if people inside the studio were finding it strange that DaCosta left early then not everything was going smoothly.

Quite a few experienced directors do this (Ridley Scott comes to mind) but if people inside the studio were finding it strange that DaCosta left early then not everything was going smoothly.
Ridley Scott has a lot of misses, so I'm not surprised that he does that...

I agree.
Runtime doesn't reflect quality.
I don't know why people have the impression it makes that much of a difference.

Somebody already broke the review embargo.

Screenshot-20231108-093541-Chrome.jpg

John Rocha was underwhelmed but still liked it overall

Kristian Harloff was flat-out negative in comparison, though, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back