Apocalypse Certified Fresh or Fresh or Rotten? The ROTTEN TOMATOES Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Lets speculate X-Men: Apocalypse's Rotten Tomatoes rating!

Right now, I think it will get a fresh rating but Certified Fresh, I'm not sure yet.:drl:

Fresh, but since the last one had such a high rating, you can only expect this one to go down...

I'm predicting it to be in the 70's or 80's.

Fresh, but since the last one had such a high rating, you can only expect this one to go down...

I'm predicting it to be in the 70's or 80's.

Agree with that but I'm predicting High 80s. I think 70s is a little too low.

I think it's going to be certified fresh. The rating most likely wont be as high as DOFP's was but it will be high. Or so i speculate, let's see!

Okay the new trailer is out... would this get a rating closer to the RT ratings of FC and DOFP?

I'd say fresh.

BTW, Daredevil is so suspenseful. Marvel & Netflix have done a very good job with that series and J.Jones as well. Can't wait to see Elektra! (edit: off topic remark due to barry parker's avatar).

Definetly fresh but I'm not sure it will hit 90% this time. I'm thinking anywhere between 84-89%.

I'll be optimistic and say they get to Certified Fresh. I have no fear it will be Rotten.

Plus, Batman vs. Superman looks to be bravely drawing the critical ire for this cycle of superhero films.

I'll be optimistic and say they get to Certified Fresh. I have no fear it will be Rotten.

Plus, Batman vs. Superman looks to be bravely drawing the critical ire for this cycle of superhero films.

Seriously? That really sucks.

Seriously? That really sucks.
Only 42 review at present, so I guess things could change, but it's clearly going to be divisive (then, so was Man of Steel).

Whereas Singer's X-Men films tend to get very good reviews, and then after a year or so everybody forgets about that and resumes being skeptical about the franchise.

I'll give it certified fresh, I think the movie has a lot of positivity going for it.

Whereas Singer's X-Men films tend to get very good reviews, and then after a year or so everybody forgets about that and resumes being skeptical about the franchise.

Ah the Internet.

I wonder what the fan reception to BvS will be though. A movie can be critically reviled but still adored by fans.

And Apocalypse I think would be above the 80s. I doubt it can have the emotional resonance of DOFP (as it draws from the entire franchise's history for its emotional stakes and character development), but a solid entry regardless.

I'm not surprised with the rotten rating. I never liked any of Snyder's films. Watchmen was confusing, 300 was just okay, Sucker Punch sucked and Man of Steel was not good. But 39% is just bad.

Huh? Tell that to X2.

I say Fresh, but I think this will be one of Singer's worst reviewed X-Men films. Big budget isn't where he shines.

Even if it falls under the 70s, still not bad...

However I really want this to be as critically acclaimed as First Class and DOFP!

We, as fans, will probably like it, because lots of people were waiting for a more action-heavy X-movie by Singer.

I think the critics could see it as 'another generic superhero movie'. Whether it will get good reviews probably depends on how much XA can add to the genre.

Pro:
- McAvoy and Fassbender gave nuanced and emotional performances in FC and DOFP.
- The 80s, but it depends how prominent the time setting will be.
- The diversity of the cast.
- Young potentials like Sheridan, Turner and Smit-Mcphee, who could become big a la Lawrence after FC.
- Isaac is the wildcard. As an actor, he's well loved and very popular at the moment.

Con:
- Despite a good performance, Isaac's Apocalypse could very well be so bombastic, so powerful and so dramatic as a character, critics will throw him on the cliche unnuanced villain pile.
- Worldwide destruction is not exactly undiscovered territory and the story could suffer from sameness, since we all ready got 'end of the world'-like scenario's in MOS, Avengers, AOU, BvS,... . The story really needs to accentuate its underlying themes and threads, so the action is justified and perfectly dosed.

Critics go in with a full picture though. They know Bryan is directing this and it's a continuation from DoFP. That factors heavily and it's why also DoFP was so loved because it was Bryan's return to the franchise in a big way. I do think it might rate lower then Days but I think it'll be certified fresh. I think between 86-90%. Also the writers are the same writers as X2 with Simon Kinberg. So their amazing dialogue and story will be great flow with Kinberg's vision.

Also on the subject of BvS I knew that it wouldn't rate well. I can't see Snyder changing his ways and it being too much of a step up from Man of Steel. I think Wonder Woman is gonna do 10x better and also Gal has gotten the most praise for the film.

Good thing is, Civil War and BvS have many similar plot points and they both have a darker color palette, so Apocalypse will be something entirely different coming after those two. If Apocalypse was more similar to those I could see the critics being less favorable for a third movie in a bunch.

Heroes are fighting heroes in all three films with a dark or melancholy feel about them. Apocalypse has it's villain front and center which makes it stand out well. This is the same audience regardless, with epic dramatic action and tons of comic characters on display being the sell.

Shame about the BvS reviews. Any of the big three getting a below 50 sucks.

Last edited:
I say Fresh, but I think this will be one of Singer's worst reviewed X-Men films. Big budget isn't where he shines.
I think critics might lambast this for not bringing anything new to the table, except for maybe revisionist history (which the franchise has done twice by now) and ancient mutanism. It seems essentially a globe-trotting story in which a villain causes chaos and the heroes are in peril (like AOU).

But I hope it's at least fresh as you say. If two of the big CBMs of the year end up rotten :csad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"