Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Ouch, Dan Murrell called this movie an "unimitgated disaster for Marvel." Dan's probably my favorite most level headed movie critic these days so for him to say this, yeeesshh.

I'm still looking forward to it though.

90% of the time my opinion align with the critics' consensus but not this time so I think there is still a chance that some people not expecting to like it will end up enjoying the film.

Last edited:
90% of the time I algin with the critics' consensus but not this time so I think there is still a chance that some people not expecting to like it will end up enjoying the film.
I align with the critics' consensus most of the time with Marvel movies as well.

However, I enjoyed watching Fantastic Four 2005, Rise of the Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider 2007, Eternals, The Marvels and to some eXtent, X-Men The Last Stand.

Though compare to those movies, the story of The Marvels aren't really damaging imo to its characters. Like who really cares about Dar-Benn of Hala. Nick Fury was just there but I didn't eXpect anything out of him after Secret Invasion and this film was better than that show.

So imo, story wise, this isn't as disastrous as Spider-Man 3, X-Men The Last Stand, Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men Dark PhoeniX, X-Men Apocalypse, X-Men Origins Wolverine, Fant4stic and Batman v Superman.

I mean…it could very well reach fresh but barely. If the score goes up I see the highest this reaching is within the range of Love And Thunder(63%) but that isn’t great, and barley within fresh territory. I’d be very surprised if the score rises up enough to to land in the mid-70’s zone which is the certified fresh zone.

Last edited:
I mean…it could very well reach fresh but barely. If the score goes up I see the highest this reaching is within the range of Love And Thunder(63%) but that isn’t great, and barley within fresh territory. I’d be very surprised if the score rises up enough to to land in the mid-70’s zone which is the certified fresh zone.

That's impossible at this point.

Anything not rotten is good at this point. Though anything at 60s is still not a good score imo.

That green rotten tomato next to the film is just not a good look and makes the film look a lot worse, which is the main reason why I want this to crawl to 60s.

Currently at 57%.

Anything not rotten is good at this point. Though anything at 60s is still not a good score imo.

That green rotten tomato next to the film is just not a good look and makes the film look a lot worse, which is the main reason why I want this to crawl to 60s.

Currently at 57%.
I mean ultimately it doesn't matter. If you like the movie, does it really matter what the Tomato score is? I mean yea I can see it being disapointing if the majority of critics don't think the same way but it's not going to change how you feel about the movie.

The trailers were pretty bad, but I was hoping the film would be a surprise hit critically, just to have *something* against the unwarranted unhinged hate this production gets, especially because the box office won't be even adequate. The cast would have deserved something good out of this, but it wasn't meant to be.

Please support the movie. I think at the very least it will be funny.

Rotten tomatoes ratings does matter, whether you like the film or not, since its a reflection of a film. Critics play a big role especially when it comes to spreading word of mouth. Thats why Rotten Tomatoes still plays a big deal to this day, almost everytime a big movie comes out. Websites/social media accounts pick up the RT rating and it directly goes to its readers.

Also, a good RT track record does benefit film franchises like this one. If DCEU are mostly critically acclaimed, I bet that franchise would be as strong if not stronger than the MCU. Same goes with Transformers, SonyVerse, Wizarding World, etc.

Like I said many times before, Rt doesn't dictate my taste in movies. But it plays a role in the public perception of a movie. You go to movie sites or any websites that discuss Quantumania and Eternals, people who liked those films (based from what I see) defends the film, and those who don't talks badly about it and brings up Rt/reviews to solidify their opinion.

The homepage of Rt shows the film at 59%, but the page of the film itself shows it at 58% (127 reviews). Its been like done that for a hour, and I've switched phones.

Edit: its now at 59% (130 reviews). 1 point away!

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if this keeps increasing. It seems like that one type of film that will, for once, benefit from the glut of reviews that come in the 3rd wave.

Well I saved the fresh rating (60% 137 reviews) through a screenshot.

At least it managed to score a fresh rating despite a bad start. So there's that. This film imo, is better than Let There Be Carnage and Shriek, Quantumania, Love and Thunder, Eternals and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. So it should be getting a RT rating higher than those.

Well at this point, it wouldn't go lower than 50%.

Well I saved the fresh rating (60% 137 reviews) through a screenshot.

At least it managed to score a fresh rating despite a bad start. So there's that. This film imo, is better than Let There Be Carnage and Shriek, Quantumania, Love and Thunder, Eternals and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. So it should be getting a RT rating higher than those.

Well at this point, it wouldn't go lower than 50%.
That's not really a high benchmark. When it's better than films like Guardians 3 or Wakanda Forever or No Way Home, then that's a conversation worth having. Being better than films that aren't all that great to begin with is hardly an achievement. That's like saying Spider-Man Homecoming is better than Spider-Man 3. Of course it is.

I think sadly when the Friday wave of critics come in its gonna send it back to the mid 50s likely. Even great movies tend to see a dip when that opening weekend wave of critics come in.

Then again who knows, if i recall correctly Blue Beetle actually steadily climbed up in its score.

That's not really a high benchmark. When it's better than films like Guardians 3 or Wakanda Forever or No Way Home, then that's a conversation worth having. Being better than films that aren't all that great to begin with is hardly an achievement. That's like saying Spider-Man Homecoming is better than Spider-Man 3. Of course it is.
Eh. Who said anything about benchmarks and achievements...

Also those films you mentioned are obviously better than The Marvels.

I was merely comparing this to films with a Rt rating that were/are close to this.

We might as well close this thread if this isn't worth having conversation about.

I think sadly when the Friday wave of critics come in its gonna send it back to the mid 50s likely. Even great movies tend to see a dip when that opening weekend wave of critics come in.

Then again who knows, if i recall correctly Blue Beetle actually steadily climbed up in its score.
Yeah I can see it going back to 55% to 57% when more reviews are added.

Ant-Man 3 and Guardians 3 both have more than 400 reviews counted, and this one has less than 150 reviews for now. So its a long way before its stabilized. I didn't realize Guardians 3 is already at 82%. Last time, I checked it was at 80%.

Geez by hook or crook it's climbing. My hopes aren't high as critics who normally I align with have been surprisingly negative but it seems it's been connecting enough with some of the later critics. Best as I can tell without having seen the movie, the short and swift runtime may have been the difference between a 62% and say maybe 45% if it was over 2 hours. May drop after opening weekend so we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"