Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson movie?!?

PyroProductions

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this subject, so if one already exists, I apologize in advance and just post the link to the existing thread. I heard a rumor that "the powers that be" were planning on turning Hunter S. Thompson's book "The Rum Diary" into a movie, and that Johnny Depp would once again be playing the lead role (just like he did in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"). I was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this and if there was any truth to this or if it is just as I stated: a rumor. I figured if any group of people would know, it would be the good fellows on the SHH boards. Most of us seem to always be informed on stuff of this nature.

I've been waiting for this for a long time, and it is more than a rumor.

Variety published that the production company Dark And Stormy Entertainment are going to produce the film. According to them, Johnny Depp has been cast as Paul Kemp and Bruce Robinson (Writer/Director of Withnail & I) is attatched to direct. They are also using his screenplay. Still, it's likely that this will be made until after Shantaram, Depp's next film after Public Enemies, as is tentatively set for a late 2009 release.

I've been waiting for this for a long time, and it is more than a rumor.

Variety published that the production company Dark And Stormy Entertainment are going to produce the film. According to them, Johnny Depp has been cast as Paul Kemp and Bruce Robinson (Writer/Director of Withnail & I) is attatched to direct. They are also using his screenplay. Still, it's likely that this will be made until after Shantaram, Depp's next film after Public Enemies, as is tentatively set for a late 2009 release.

Hey, I'd rather them take their time and do it right than **** it up by bringing on a ****ty director like they did with X3 and Brett Ratner...if I could kill any two people in the world, it would be Joel Shoumacher and Brett Ratner for being possibly the two worst things to ever happen to cinemetography. I'm glad to hear that the project is more than a rumor, and that just gives me another movie to look forward to in the next two years. Including The Rum Diary, I'm waiting on "Watchmen" and, of course, Batman: The Dark Night. I am such a Batman fanboy, as much as I try not to show it in public. :oldrazz:

Nice to see Depp is still attached to this project. Should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"