Russos' and Hemsworth's "Extraction" (Netflix)

Just a very generic action-thriller. Most of these Netflix original movies just seem like B-level movies.

B movies can be fun and enjoyable when done in a certain way though. The Hunt is a prime example, it was OTT and ridiculous, and that made it hilarious throughout.

This tried to set itself in the real world, but then the action would kick and be totally OTT John Wick style, which wouldn't happen in the real world. So it was a strange mesh which didn't quite work for me.

Netflix is getting A class talent on these movies though, from Hemsworth to Ryan Reynolds to Ben Affleck to Brad Pitt to Will Smith, theyre drawing in Hollywood’s biggest draws and the movies are still turning out meh.

They should be drawing in A-level talent behind the camera more importantly.

There’s a reason the films of Scorsese, the Coens and Alfonso Cuaron have received the most critical acclaim for Netflix. The Russos have yet to prove themselves as filmmakers outside of Marvel.

Also, sometimes restrictions are a good thing. Michael Bay under a Jerry Bruckheimer might make better stories than doing whatever he wants for Netflix.

Last edited:
Netflix is getting A class talent on these movies though, from Hemsworth to Ryan Reynolds to Ben Affleck to Brad Pitt to Will Smith, theyre drawing in Hollywood’s biggest draws and the movies are still turning out meh.

Which Netflix movie had Brad Pitt? Can’t remember off the top of my head.

They should be drawing in A-level talent behind the camera more importantly.

There’s a reason the films of Scorsese, the Coens and Alfonso Cuaron have received the most critical acclaim for Netflix. The Russos have yet to prove themselves as filmmakers outside of Marvel.

Also, sometimes restrictions are a good thing. Michael Bay under a Jerry Bruckheimer might make better stories than doing whatever he wants for Netflix.

This is a discussion for another thread but I didnt think the Irishman was all that great either.

It goes back to maybe getting a blank cheque to do whatever you want is not ultimately a good thing for a filmmaker. Maybe the struggle and compromises sometimes make for something even better ala Star Wars.

War Machine (film) - Wikipedia

Kind of sad how quickly that was forgotten.

Yeah, that's kind of the downside of having so much content being constantly put online on streaming services. They will, unless serialized, soon be forgotten and piled onto the bottom of the algorithm. It's the same with music and musical artists.

There is barely any lasting momentum or communal experience because of new things being updated daily across all platforms.

This reinforces low attention span in people and creates the habit of craving something new as soon as possible and dumping any memories of whatever is (a month) old.

Media consumption is currently stuck in a purgatory made of "cool, this ****'s trending, I GOTTA watch and join the discussion" and "nobody ****ing cares anymore" for the most part.

Of course there are exceptions and this doesn't relate to everything, but it's the trend we're moving towards.

Thing is, Netflix is brilliant when it comes to tv series. A lot of their original shows have been absolutely fantastic. Stranger Things, Ozark and Daredevil are all top tier television imo and theres many others i could name. they just cant get it together with feature films. I dont know where the discrepency is lying.

"nunchuks"
"no carbs on wednesday"
...:funny:

Thing is, Netflix is brilliant when it comes to tv series. A lot of their original shows have been absolutely fantastic. Stranger Things, Ozark and Daredevil are all top tier television imo and theres many others i could name. they just cant get it together with feature films. I dont know where the discrepency is lying.
Because I think with movies, they’re still getting a lot of “2nd choice” options, as most filmmakers would still prefer theatrical exhibition if they can get the greenlight on the budget and cast they want from studios. A lot of the movies getting produced by Netflix are ones the big studios weren’t willing to spend much on in the first place, or simply didn’t want at all. Even the good ones: Roma got distributed by Netflix because no other American studio wanted to take a gamble on a foreign-language film starring unproven Mexican actors.

So when we’re talking about the types of films that studios would immediately be on board with, like say, a good ol’ white savior action romp blockbuster type, you know if it’s going to Netflix it’s likely from the bottom of the barrel in terms of scripts because if it weren’t, another studio would’ve jumped at it before and put it in theaters.

With TV, they’re maybe one step below HBO as the top dog in the whole arena, so a lot of the best creatives come to them first or second with their projects. So they’ve basically got the pick of the litter when it comes to TV shows to greenlight. With movies, not so much.

The quality of Netflix's shows are overstated a bit too. I think all the other major streaming platforms have top shows that are better than Netflix's best shows.

I mean, I think The Crown is well-produced and enjoyable-but-standard fare and Stranger Things is pure mediocrity coasting on nostalgia, but Ozark and Mindhunter are two of the best shows going, imo.

The quality of Netflix's shows are overstated a bit too. I think all the other major streaming platforms have top shows that are better than Netflix's best shows.

With Stranger Things and Ozark, among others, in their catalogue I highly disagree. Their top shows are on the same level as other providers' top shows.

Netflix has the most garbage but they also have the most good stuff. It is a lot of sorting through to find the things you like but I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say that there's nothing good on Netflix and it's coming from the very same people who said they binged all these different shows on Netflix and enjoyed certain movies on Netflix. I couldn't even begin to list all the things I have enjoyed or loved on Netflix.

Giri/Haji, Apostle, The Irishman, The OA, Middleditch & Schwartz, Roma, Marriage Story, Buster Scruggs, The Night Comes For Us, High Flying Bird, What Did Jack Do, Ozark, freaking KINGDOM, Midnight Gospel, Maniac, Happy as Lazzaro, My Happy Family, Castlevania, Bojack Horseman, The Other Side of the Wind, Money Heist, Narcos, Nailed It!, Alias Grace, Time to Hunt, The Haunting of Hill House, Gerald's Game, Private Life, I Don't Want to Live in This World Any More, Atlantics, I Lost My Body (f'real, though, Netflix had 4 or 5 top ten movies last year, they killed it), Dark, Top Boy, Meyerowitz Stories, El Camino, Persona, Russian Doll, Beasts of No Nation, Bodyguard, Peaky Blinders, Okja, When They See Us, Tigertail, Black Mirror, Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, Seven Seconds, Salt Fat Acid Heat, The Crown, Mindhunter, You.. and you can just keep going.

People forget how much there is to like cuz the library is just so big.

Yeah, I would say I haven't even heard of 70% of the stuff you just listed.

I guess the problem is that Netflix doesn't really know how to promote a lot of the good stuff unless it is one of their flagship shows or Oscar contenders.

But when Netflix wants to push things they do take off. Take Bird Box, did huge numbers for them in viewership, as did Umbrella Academy, The Witcher, Tiger King, Extraction now is doing really well. Honestly, it is kind of weird which shows have turned out to be their hits. Ozark didn't even get great reactions its first season but now everyone is pretty on board with it. Kind of a reverse trajectory of Stranger Things, though of course that show is still absurdly popular.

The director has been talking about doing a sequel set before or after. I wouldn't be in a rush to see it, but I would probably watch a sequel/prequel at some point.

Yeah, almost every original Netflix movie feels like a "Netflix movie". They make well produced B movies with the occasional standout.

Honestly I would have been better off watching the action on youtube or through some other source since the rest of the movie was pretty much background noise for me. Plus the ending was stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"