Sam Raimi to reboot The Grudge

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by terry78, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I’ll only see this movie if it features the ghost rocking out to the awesome Tool song of the same name.

shinlyle and MovieSlave like this.
  2. terry78 Seein' it eye 2 eye

This came out tonight. I'll probably check it out tomorrow to see how it measures up.

3. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I didn't care for the original(s) but I like this cast. I think I'll probably watch on DVD. It's sitting at 25% rotten on RT right now.

4. mclay18 Registered

It’s a dud. I don’t know if it’s because the director tried to honor the J horror aspect of the movie (with more gore) but taking the synonymous ghosts and replacing them with the recent victims (look like refugees from the Conjuring movies) loses its bite.

It would be forgivable if the movie was scary or had some spooky atmosphere, but pretty tame despite the gore. The fantastic cast was ridiculously underused, especially Riseborough, Cho and Lin Shaye.

I hate to say it, but the 2004 remake and 2006 sequel were scarier. Even the 2009 DTV sequel had atmosphere to it.

5. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Wow. I loathed that one - I hope this is at least better than that! :funny: I'll catch this latest one at some point as I love the 2004 SMG movie and own several of the Japanese ones.

Do any actors/victims from the previous US Grudge movies make an appearance? (I don't mind being spoiled)

#55 Milk Tray Guy, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. mclay18 Registered

Not that I remember. Kayako appears at the beginning of the movie and that’s it.

The movie could be seen as concurrent with the events of the 2004 film because it keeps whipping back and forth between 2004 and 2006.

KaijuDude1992 and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  7. Lasirius tarifa

Well what I’ve been reading has been disappointing. Had been looking forward to this one.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  8. mclay18 Registered

It's more than disappointing.

I don't know if Pesce got screwed over by Sony/Screen Gems during filming and post production, whether they left him to their own devices, or what have you -- but this is not a good movie.

9. Lasirius tarifa

Sad. Hopefully there's a Director's Cut somewhere that would make the film at least decent.

KaijuDude1992 and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  10. #root Registered

This was extremely dull. The scares, the ghosts, the story, everything was so dull and uninspired. It’s a shame because the cast is really good but everyone is wasted. I haven't seen the director’s other works but from what I gather he’s good or at least competent so not sure why this was so abysmal.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.