Sam Raimi to reboot The Grudge

This came out tonight. I'll probably check it out tomorrow to see how it measures up.

I didn't care for the original(s) but I like this cast. I think I'll probably watch on DVD. It's sitting at 25% rotten on RT right now.

It’s a dud. I don’t know if it’s because the director tried to honor the J horror aspect of the movie (with more gore) but taking the synonymous ghosts and replacing them with the recent victims (look like refugees from the Conjuring movies) loses its bite.

It would be forgivable if the movie was scary or had some spooky atmosphere, but pretty tame despite the gore. The fantastic cast was ridiculously underused, especially Riseborough, Cho and Lin Shaye.

I hate to say it, but the 2004 remake and 2006 sequel were scarier. Even the 2009 DTV sequel had atmosphere to it.

I hate to say it, but the 2004 remake and 2006 sequel were scarier. Even the 2009 DTV sequel had atmosphere to it.
Wow. I loathed that one - I hope this is at least better than that! :funny: I'll catch this latest one at some point as I love the 2004 SMG movie and own several of the Japanese ones.

... taking the synonymous ghosts and replacing them with the recent victims (look like refugees from the Conjuring movies) loses its bite.
Do any actors/victims from the previous US Grudge movies make an appearance? (I don't mind being spoiled)

Last edited:
Wow. I loathed that one - I hope this is at least better than that! :funny: I'll catch this latest one at some point as I love the 2004 SMG movie and own several of the Japanese ones.

Do any actors/victims from the previous US Grudge movies make an appearance? (I don't mind being spoiled)

Not that I remember. Kayako appears at the beginning of the movie and that’s it.

The movie could be seen as concurrent with the events of the 2004 film because it keeps whipping back and forth between 2004 and 2006.

Well what I’ve been reading has been disappointing. Had been looking forward to this one.

Well what I’ve been reading has been disappointing. Had been looking forward to this one.

It's more than disappointing.

I don't know if Pesce got screwed over by Sony/Screen Gems during filming and post production, whether they left him to their own devices, or what have you -- but this is not a good movie.

This was extremely dull. The scares, the ghosts, the story, everything was so dull and uninspired. It’s a shame because the cast is really good but everyone is wasted. I haven't seen the director’s other works but from what I gather he’s good or at least competent so not sure why this was so abysmal.

I've never felt so depressed watching a movie. What a load of drek.

So dull, and I mean visually too with that awful piss colour tint to everything.

Saw this the other day. Forgettable, don't have anything to say about it.

There were glimpses of what could've been a good movie but nah. I already forgot what happened to the characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"