Sam Raimi Will Drag You to Hell

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Source: Variety December 20, 2007

After helming three "Spider-Man" films, Sam Raimi will return to his genre roots to direct Drag Me to Hell, a supernatural thriller he wrote with his brother, Ivan Raimi.

According to Variety, the morality tale about the unwitting recipient of a supernatural curse will go into production early next year. It will be financed through Ghost House Pictures, a joint venture Raimi and Rob Tapert formed several years ago with Mandate Pictures.

Raimi and Tapert will produce with Grant Curtis, and Josh Donen will executive produce with Mandate's Nathan Kahane and Joe Drake.

Tapert said the Raimis penned the script well before the formation of Ghost House. It was originally written under the title "The Curse" and completed right after the siblings collaborated on 1992's Army of Darkness, which Sam Raimi directed.

"Sam calls it a 'spook-a-blast,' a wild ride with all the chills and spills that 'Evil Dead' delivered, without relying on the excessive violence of that film," Tapert said. "When one has done three very expensive movies, they get used to eating caviar. Sam will have to ponder what it means to come down from the mountaintop for a moment."

After Drag Me to Hell, Raimi is expected to take the helm of "The Hobbit" films for New Line and MGM now that Peter Jackson has made it clear he won't direct.

woah! :wow: :wow: :wow:

After Drag Me to Hell, Raimi is expected to take the helm of "The Hobbit" films for New Line and MGM now that Peter Jackson has made it clear he won't direct.

Interesting...

are they sure that Raimi will do the Hobbit?

Sam Raimi drug me to hell with his last Spider-Man movie; there's no need for him to do it again.

I'm just glad he's going back to his roots.

Oh, and it can't cost over like... twenty dollars, and even that's pushing it.

Raimi ruined Spiderman- please Peter Jackson in the name of all that's Holy don't let him get his hands on The Hobbitt!!

You guys don't give Raimi enough credit. He's a fine director. A Simple Plan, The Gift... He's not just the guy who ruined Spider-Man.... He's not the guy who's simply known as "The Evil Dead Guy".... He's actually fantastic.

My only beef with him is SM3... his worst movie, by far. I have NO problem with the first two Spideys.

So, basically, people are calling him a bad director, who shouldn't be allowed to helm the Hobbit, simply because of ONE movie?!?

Most directors are LUCKY if they can make only one bad movie.

You guys don't give Raimi enough credit. He's a fine director. A Simple Plan, The Gift... He's not just the guy who ruined Spider-Man.... He's not the guy who's simply known as "The Evil Dead Guy".... He's actually fantastic.

My only beef with him is SM3... his worst movie, by far. I have NO problem with the first two Spideys.

So, basically, people are calling him a bad director, who shouldn't be allowed to helm the Hobbit, simply because of ONE movie?!?

To be fair he really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Hobbit, not because he's a bad director*, but because he's an absolute awful fit for that film.

*I, too, hate how quick people are willing to condemn a director over one film and disregard their previous work. Did you guys forget he directed the evil dead series and the first two spidermans, as well?

...but with that one bad movie he killed a bonafide franchise.I didn't get too excited about Spidey 2 either.

Raimi directs a horror movie! YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sam Raimi drug me to hell with his last Spider-Man movie; there's no need for him to do it again.

That's what I actually thought this thread was about before I clicked on it. Anyway, If Rami actually went through with all the projects his name is associated with in official releases/interviews with him, he would be working nonstop for about the next ten years, so forgive me if I don't get excited until cameras are rolling.

Yea, I'm still waiting for The Shadow. :csad:

Looking forward to this film, and I hope he takes on 'The Hobbit'. I think it'll be good to see what another director can bring to the Spider-Man franchise. Sony isn't stupid, so I'm sure they'll hire a good director for their top franchise.

To be fair he really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Hobbit, not because he's a bad director*, but because he's an absolute awful fit for that film.

*I, too, hate how quick people are willing to condemn a director over one film and disregard their previous work. Did you guys forget he directed the evil dead series and the first two spidermans, as well?

don't care for evil dead and spiderman 1 sucked. i guess they got lucky with spiderman 2. hacks.

but he's a mediocre director and his style sucks and doesn't fit the hobbit.

Hey,that's the hype for you.... people started bashing ALL of Bryan Singer's films after they saw SR, before that not a bad word about him..... same with Sam Raimi now unfortunately. (Even though I kinda liked SM3)

i started bashing singer from the start of X1. the movie could've been a 100 times better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"