Samurai Movies

TheDemon'sHead

automaton
Reaction score
Other than Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro, can anyone suggest any GOOD samurai movies for me to watch?

And if you think The Last Samurai was good, then please don't suggest anything.

Samurai Fiction (1998) by Hiroyuki Nakano

&

The Twlight Samurai (2002) by Yoji Yamada
---

Samurai Fiction is fun to watch after you've seen some Kurosawa since in many way it builds off the tennets of those films while poking fun of it.

While Twlight Samurai is completely different in the sense there is only one "fight" scene, and it seeks to answer the question of what is a Samurai. Both fantastic films that are great starting points to watch for the Samurai genre.

What about Hidden Fortress and Ran? Those are good Kurosawa samurai flicks as well.

Sword of Doom, Twilight Samurai, and of course, The Lone Wolf and Cub series, which is a set of about 5 or 6 movies. LW&C are stylish, violent, entertaining, and just plain fun.

There's a new samurai flick by the people who did Twilight Samurai called the Hidden Blade but I don't think its available over here.

I agree with you about Last Samurai. Rubbish.

What about Hidden Fortress and Ran? Those are good Kurosawa samurai flicks as well.

I haven't seen Hidden Fortress yet but with RAN, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone other than hardcore cinophiles and Kurosawa fans. Though the movie is absolutely beautiful along with marvelous acting, it is perhaps one of the slowest movies I've ever seen, and nearly impossible to watch in one sitting. I'm definitely going to revisit this movie since the story is great and Kurosawa is great, but it's really hard to watch in one sitting and it took me three days to finish it.

It's been a while since I saw Last Samurai so how it would hold up on second viewing who knows. But to me Last Samurai was a valiant effort and Zwick is a pretty talented mainstream director. But it's like if a Japanese film-maker made a Western, it just wouldn't be the same, it would be different and probably be entertaining, however would he truly be able to capture what the time period really meant in terms of American history? So from that sense Last Samurai in no way compares to Twilight Samurai or Seven Samurai.
---

The remake of Zatochi was pretty decent and entertaining should you bump across it however it's kind of a flawed movie and there are better things to watch, I haven't gotten around to seeing the original Zatochi films yet.

2 movies I have been meaning to watch yet haven't yet are these two:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999)

Shogun (1980) - Want to read the book first though...

Ran goes along pretty swiftly in my opinion. Maybe you're thinking of Kagemusha, because what you said about Ran is how I would describe Kagemusha. I tried to watch it and couldn't finish it.

Ran on the other hand held my attention and kept me in the story throughout.

As far as Last Samurai, other than Ken Wattanbe, I felt it was such a cliched "foreigner goes to strange land, doesn't get along with natives, proves himself, redeems himself, natives love him at the end" type of movie that I've seen done far better in countless movies. If I remember correctly, Tom Cruise's character meets the emperor? WTF. I like Zwick as well, but he can do bad just as much as he can do good.

Anyone ever seen six-string Samurai? It has a cool title and i've heard good things. But I haven't had time towatch it yet.

From I understand, its about a guitar player so it really didn't interest me too much in seeing it. But I'll probably throw it on the old Netflix queue one day.

Harakiri directed by Masaki Kobayashi

"Peace in 17th-century Japan causes the Shogunate's breakup of warrior clans, throwing thousands of samurai out of work and into poverty. An honorable end to such fate under the samurai code is ritual suicide, or hara-kiri (self-inflicted disembowelment). An elder warrior, Hanshiro Tsugumo (Tatsuya Nakadai) seeks admittance to the house of a feudal lord to commit the act. There, he learns of the fate of his son-in-law, a young samurai who sought work at the house but was instead barbarically forced to commit traditional hara-kiri in an excruciating manner with a dull bamboo blade. In flashbacks the samurai tells the tragic story of his son-in-law, and how he was forced to sell his real sword to support his sick wife and child. Tsugumo thus sets in motion a tense showdown of revenge against the house."

Kagemusha
directed by Kurosawa

"Set in the late 16th century, Kagemusha centers on the Takeda clan, one of three warlord clans battling for control of Japan at the end of the feudal period. When Lord Shingen (Tatsuya Nakadai), head of the Takeda clan, is mortally wounded in battle and near death, he orders that his death be kept secret and that his "kagemusha"--or "shadow warrior"--take his place for a period of three years to prevent clan disruption and enemy takeover. The identical double is a petty thief (also played by Nakadai) spared from execution due to his uncanny resemblance to Lord Shingen--but his true identity cannot prevent the tides of fate from rising over the Takeda clan in a climactic scene of battlefield devastation."

Throne of Blood
directed by Kurosawa

"A transposition of Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' to medieval Japan. After a great military victory, Lords Washizu and Miki are lost in the dense Cobweb Forest, where they meet a mysterious old woman who predicts great things for Washizu and even greater things for Miki's descendants. Once out of the forest, Washizu and Miki are immediately promoted by the Emperor. Washizu, encouraged by his ambitious wife, plots to make even more of the prophecy come true, even if it means killing the Emperor..."

Samurai Rebellion directed by Masaki Kobayashi

"During peace in 1725, aging swordsman Isaburo is living a henpecked life when his clan lord requests that Isaburo's son marry the lord's mistress, with whom he's displeased, even though she's born him a son. Isaburo wants to refuse, but his son Yogoro accepts the woman, Ichi, and they fall deeply in love. Their love renews Isaburo, so when the clan lord's elder son dies and the lord sends for Ichi to return to his side as mother of his heir, Isaburo opposes his lord. Yogoro and Ichi, who now have a baby daughter, stand with him. The clan orders their suicide, then sends soldiers to kill them. Isaburo's only hope is to take his case to Edo to expose the clan's cruelty. Can he?"

Ran goes along pretty swiftly in my opinion. Maybe you're thinking of Kagemusha, because what you said about Ran is how I would describe Kagemusha. I tried to watch it and couldn't finish it.

Ran on the other hand held my attention and kept me in the story throughout.

As far as Last Samurai, other than Ken Wattanbe, I felt it was such a cliched "foreigner goes to strange land, doesn't get along with natives, proves himself, redeems himself, natives love him at the end" type of movie that I've seen done far better in countless movies. If I remember correctly, Tom Cruise's character meets the emperor? WTF. I like Zwick as well, but he can do bad just as much as he can do good.

I like the cinematography the most, that's the most striking thing, were those long shots of Japan's country side. It simply a well-made entertaining film however I'd never rank it anywhere near Seven Samurai.

:huh: I kinda liked the Last Samurai...

That movie with Beat Takeshi in it...when he's blind, Zatoici right? That wasn't too bad.

I loved the Last Samurai and The Seven Samurai,other than those though i prefer Ninja's:ninja::cwink:

Couldn't get into The Last Samurai. I prefer the older samurai films.

Other than Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro, can anyone suggest any GOOD samurai movies for me to watch?

And if you think The Last Samurai was good, then please don't suggest anything.

I suggest--NOTHING!!!!

Though Last Samurai had soooo many innaccuracies of how that situation would have gone down, I got over it and enjoyed it none the less.

the ruroni kenshin/samurai x anime series

I completely forgot about Samurai X... I saw the movie Truth and Betrayal Director's Cut, really good however I would of prefer to seen the original series since I believe it's just the show choped into movie form.

Sword of Doom
Samurai Spy
Three Outlaw Samurai
The Zatoichi series
Samurai 1, 2, 3

Sword of Doom, Twilight Samurai, and of course, The Lone Wolf and Cub series, which is a set of about 5 or 6 movies. LW&C are stylish, violent, entertaining, and just plain fun.

There's a new samurai flick by the people who did Twilight Samurai called the Hidden Blade but I don't think its available over here.

The Hidden Fortress is awesome. If you've liked the others you're certain to like that one.

I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to check out Sword of Doom. Mifune has a smaller role but is great as usual.

Great suggestions everyone. Thanks so much.

The first Kurosawa I actually saw was Ran and I loved it. I didn't find it slow at all. Other than the aforementioned, the only other Kurosawa I've seen is Rashomon. I have a copy of Kagemusha at home and most of his others are on my Netflix. (Hidden Fortress & Throne of Blood included!)

But I want to spread out a bit away from Kurosawa's stuff and see if there are any other good samurai films out there.

I'll give Samurai Fiction, Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion & The Twlight Samurai a try. Also Lone Wolf & Cub.

What's the order of the Lone Wolf & Cub films? There were only years listed with the movies and the first three came out the same year. Anyone?

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (1972)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril (1972)
Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell (1974)
Lone Wolf and Cub 2: Baby Cart at the River Styx (2003)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (2004)

Did you click on Sword of Doom? Thats one of the best scenes you'll see in any movie.

What's the order of the Lone Wolf & Cub films? There were only years listed with the movies and the first three came out the same year. Anyone?

2003 and 2004?? I think the main actor died in the 80s or something. Maybe that's the DVD pressing or did you mean 1973 and 74?

I think Sword of Vengeance is first. They're not really that continuity-dependent though. If you can get the expensive and hard to find box set, they're numbered. I'll see if I can find somewhere that lists their proper chronology.

Also they have "movie" versions of the Lone Wolf and Cub series. I am pretty sure they actually combine episodes and delete a lot to make them fit, from what I've heard, so avoid them.

I forgot about Zatoichi. Oh, there's a Zatoichi vs Yojimbo, but people are saying that despite the fact that Mifune is in it, he isn't playing the same character as the Kurosawa films.

Mifune also plays the Yoojimbo character in Machibuse from 1970, according to the IMDb.

Ame agaru aka After the Rain :up:

1. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (April 1972)
2. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (June 1972)
3. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (August 1972)
4. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril (November 1972)
5. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (1973)
6. Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell (1974)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_wolf_and_cub#Films

Hmh, I didn't know these were based on comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"