Saw This Woman On Glenn Beck

Memphis Slim

Superhero
Reaction score
irshad_manji.jpg

Irhad Manji
She lives with death threats all the time. She loves her faith in Islam. But she isn't getting a lot of love back because of her stances.
http://www.muslim-refusenik.com/index.html

About Irshad Manji - Irshad’s photo album
Salman.jpg
The New York Times has dubbed Irshad Manji “Osama Bin Laden’s worst nightmare.” She takes that as a compliment.

Irshad is the best-selling author of The Trouble with Islam Today: A Muslim’s Call for Reform in Her Faith. It has been published internationally, including in Pakistan, Turkey, India and Lebanon. In those countries that have banned The Trouble with Islam Today, she is reaching readers by posting free translations in Arabic, Urdu, and Persian on this website.
She also travels the globe to lecture about the liberal reformation of Islam. Her audiences include Amnesty International, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the United Nations Press Corps, the Democratic Muslims of Denmark, the National Committee on American Foreign Policy, the International Women’s Forum, the Swedish Defense Research Agency, the Pentagon, the Jean Jacques Rousseau Institute, and universities from Cambridge to Notre Dame.
Currently, Irshad is a Senior Fellow with the European Foundation for Democracy. She writes columns that are distributed worldwide by the New York Times Syndicate. She is also making a feature film about Islam. Among the ideas it will showcase is “ijtihad,” Islam’s lost tradition of independent thinking.
As a social entrepreneur, Irshad has launched Project Ijtihad, an initiative to develop the world’s first leadership network for reform-minded Muslims. In that capacity, she was recently named a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.
Oprah Winfrey honored Irshad with the first annual Chutzpah Award for “audacity, nerve, boldness and conviction.” Ms. magazine chose Irshad as a “Feminist for the 21st Century.” Maclean’s, Canada’s national news magazine, selected her one of ten “Canadians Who Make a Difference.”
And the Jakarta Post in Indonesia -- the world’s largest Muslim country -- identified Irshad as one of three women creating a positive change in Islam today.

Sari.jpg
Born in 1968, Irshad is a refugee from Idi Amin’s Uganda. In 1972, she and her family fled to Vancouver, where Irshad grew up attending public schools as well as the Islamic madressa. In 1990, she earned an honors degree in intellectual history from the University of British Columbia, winning the Governor-General’s medal for top graduate.
After graduation, Irshad became legislative assistant to a member of parliament, then press secretary to the Ontario Minister for Women’s Issues. In 1992, at age 24, she entered the media as National Affairs Editorialist for the Ottawa Citizen, the youngest person to sit on the editorial board of a Canadian daily newspaper. She left to take up the post of speechwriter for the first female leader of a Canadian political party.
From there, Irshad went on to write Risking Utopia: On the Edge of a New Democracy. Published in 1997, it chronicles how young people are re-defining democracy in an age of fluid media networks, shifting social values and flexible personal identities. Today, Risking Utopia is widely used by Canadian educators to re-imagine public schooling.
Judea.jpg
In 1998, Irshad began producing and hosting QueerTelevision on Toronto’s Citytv. This was the world’s first program on commercial airwaves to explore the lives of gay and lesbian people. She also negotiated the syndication of QueerTelevision through San Francisco-based web portal, planetout.com, making QueerTelevision among the first programs ever to be streamed entirely on the Internet. As such, it built a global audience quickly while circumventing state censors. It also won the Gemini, Canada’s highest broadcasting award, for best-edited general information show.
Despite her multi-media approach, books remain Irshad’s passion. With the release of The Trouble with Islam Today, Irshad’s ideas are capturing international attention. That means condemnation as well praise. As Indonesia’s Jakarta Post writes, “She not only has a funky hairdo, but The Trouble with Islam Today has caused much debate”. Here’s a sample of the debate:
  • Khaleel Mohammed, an imam and professor of Islam at San Diego State University: “Irshad wants us to do what our Holy Book wants us to do: End the tribal posturing, open our eyes, and stand up to oppression, even if it's rationalized by our vaunted imams… She remains obedient to the Divine Imperative: ‘O you who believe! Be upholders of justice, witnesses for God, even if it be against yourselves, or your parents and kin.’ (Quran, 4:135).”
  • Khaled Almeena, Editor, Arab News (Saudi Arabia): “This fraudulent book has now become a guide to Islam...”
  • Tarek Heggy, world-renowned author/lecturer based in Cairo: “I read the Arabic translation with a level of fascination and admiration that rarely occurs after a 45-year journey into Islamic study. Her book captivated me fully, touching my mind, conscience, and heart.”
  • Jane Mansbridge, Adams Professor of Political Leadership and Democratic Values at Harvard University: “All is not lost if people of Irshad Manji's capacity can carry a fresh and convincing message to the coming generation. I cannot urge her more strongly to maintain her frank, open and intelligent approach. This cause is, I believe, the most important new movement in several decades.”
  • Andrew Sullivan, TIME columnist who reviewed Irshad’s book for the New York Times and concluded: “If we survive this current war without unthinkable casualties, it will be because Irshad Manji’s kind of liberalism didn’t lose its nerve.”
I hope her people start to hear her message.

I'm surprised you like her Slim. She is a lesbian, doesn't that mean she is going Hell, in your opinion.

"her people"
ha! celldog has trouble separating extremists from Muslims.
plus it seems she's gay, so I'm guessing ole celldog thinks she's a sinner.

I tell you what, I read her book, and she is a truly amazing woman...I mean standing up like she does, it's just...wow.

I couldn't imagine being in her place, it is amazing she does what she does.

"her people"

Funny thing......she doesn't separate the extremists from Muslims in general. She gets threats from regular Muslims, as well. She has to live behind bullet proof glass.

She's just trying to get her people to think differently. If she can do it, great for everyone.

Lesbian or not..........

And my name is Memphis Slim

I tell you what, I read her book, and she is a truly amazing woman...I mean standing up like she does, it's just...wow.

I couldn't imagine being in her place, it is amazing she does what she does.

I agree.

Funny thing......she doesn't separate the extremists from Muslims in general. She gets threats from regular Muslims, as well. She has to live behind bullet proof glass.

She's just trying to get her people to think differently. If she can do it, great for everyone.

Lesbian or not..........

And my name is Memphis Slim

LOL, when you're threatening someone's life based on religion that makes you an extremist.

Yeah, I read her book. She has some great insights into the religion, and I really respect her struggles.

But from what I've heard the core of the Muslim world (i.e. the Arabs) refuses to take her seriously primarily because she was raised in the West. I think her message is falling on willingly deaf ears.

also, I'd wondered where you'd gone, celldog.

yeah not even moderate muslims are gonna take her seriously

"her people"
Now I'm not one to defend Celldog but I don't think he meant it as an insult.....This time.:o

Now I'm not one to defend Celldog but I don't think he meant it as an insult.....This time.:o

It's Memphis Slim.....
And you are correct. Her "people" are her fellow Muslims. Surely, only someone who's looking for something to poke holes in, could take it as an insult.

I may need to get her book. This could prove interesting.

If there were people like here, Islamic countries wouldn't be the cesspools they are now. In many ways the process she is trying to start is the same one Martin Luther began for christianity back during enlighentment. And like Luther and the other protestants and enlightenment reforsa she is going to find herself hated by both the hardliners and a vast majority of "moderate" believers. Her biggest problem is the overwhelming prevalence of violent and illiberal interpertations of the Quran and Hadiths by most Muslims, including so called Moderates. I wish her the best of luck as the idea of a Muslim reformation similar to what christianity underwent is way way overdue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"