From the ‘Nation of Islam’ to the Ummah:A look at Islam and race in America

THE MODERN COMMUNITY

Following Elijah Mohammed’s death in 1975, he was succeeded by his son, Warith Deen Mohammed, or W.D. Mohammed. The new leader made broad, sweeping changes to reconcile the NOI with traditional Islam. He renounced the deification of Fard, eliminated the notion of black superiority and worked to align the group with the larger community of Muslims.

His actions created a rift: In 1981, traditionalist elements led by Farrakhan publicly announced the reconstitution of the NOI, guided by the original teachings of Fard and Elijah Mohammed. The divide has been bridged in recent years, however, with Farrakhan recanting the notion of Fard’s deification and denying that Elijah Mohammed was a prophet, calling him a “messenger.” Farrakhan and W.D. Mohammed publicly embraced in 2000, officially announcing the movement’s “unity.”

The Muslim Journal, W.D. Mohammed’s newspaper, is headquartered in a building on the outskirts of Chicago. Inside the front door hangs a large poster of W.D. Mohammed with the late Pope John Paul II. The editors of the Muslim Journal say one of W.D. Mohammed’s missions has been to eliminate contempt for Christianity within the organization. This contempt was partly rooted in the perception that the common ‘white’ image of Jesus Christ supported the concept of racial inferiority of blacks.

“What would happen to little white kids if they were made to sit before a black image and worship? They would look at the image of God and then in the mirror and they would feel inferior,” says Ayesha Mustafaa, the journal’s editor.

Today, the majority of African-American Muslims are Sunni, although a large number are still students of W.D. Mohammed. Imam Siraj Wahhaj, an African-American and the head of the Muslim Alliance of North America, who does not follow the NOI, speaks before his congregation of diverse ethnic backgrounds at Masjid Al-Taqwa (literally, The Piety Mosque) in Brooklyn, New York. Wahhaj, who more than 10 years ago became the first Muslim to invoke prayers in front of US Congress, believes that most African-American Muslims do not consider themselves a part of the NOI; nor do most of the new converts.

“Some people are like, ‘You should be following Warith Deen Mohammed.’ Why? We have these great scholars that have legitimate differences that base their differences upon their understanding of the Qur’an and the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, which makes for dynamic conversation and interaction,” Wahhaj says.

“We’re not here to become rigid soldiers,” he says. “We’re thinkers.”

Recently, one of the most important concerns of the American Muslim community has been discrimination since the September 11 attacks. Wahhaj often draws parallels between the struggles that Muslims are going through now and those of African-Americans in the past.

“When I rehearse history to Muslims who are foreigners or immigrants, I say, ‘It happened to black people, it happened to Jews, it happened to Italians and almost everyone had that kind of discrimination and scrutiny.’ For us, it’s patience,” he says. “It’s not going to be like this forever. There [are] too many verses in the Qur’an that teach us patience.”

Wahhaj, who was born in America and converted to Islam with his parents, travels to connect with Muslims across the country. He recently visited three different cities in one weekend and claims that at each airport, officials told him he had been “randomly selected by the computer” for security inspection.

Despite the discrimination, many Muslims see a bright future for Islam in America. Muslims who once remained in obscurity are becoming vocal about their faith — and they are not afraid to practice Islam in American society, which they say is committed to allowing them religious freedom and embracing diversity. But to bring change, Muslims in America will probably have to do it on their own.

“You should pray as if everything depends on God,” Wahhaj says, “but you should work as if everything depends on you.” et

Peace be upon you Wilhelm-Scream.

Muslim works is an Islamic organization which proclaims in word and deed the universal message of Al-Islam that there is but One God and one human family.

We are committed to establishing a balanced community life in its
broadest sense, witnessing the eternal wisdom of the Words of
God and the life examplified by Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).

We will cultivate the patterned growth of human excellence and
good character through building valuable relationships with all
God concious people.

Our Vision is help build a model community in the broadest sense, not leaving anything of value out. A community which is balanced, witnessing to all people, a community that God establishes, approves of and support.

We hope to present articles that promote a clearer understanding of the message of Al-Islam and play a part in bringing humanity together.

R. Khalil

Good grief! It REEKS of all kinds of propaganda and stereotyping in here! *sprays Febreze*

jag

Hey Muslim Works, welcome to the hype. Your insightful and copy and pastes are much appreciated here.

Whoops, forgot the irony tags.

jaguarr said:
Good grief! It REEKS of all kinds of propaganda and stereotyping in here! *sprays Febreze*

jag

I agree. It's just self-promotion of "Nation of Islam". Being a muslim myself, I find it pretty wornout, and unnecessary. :csad:

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
I agree. It's just self-promotion of "Nation of Islam". Being a muslim myself, I find it pretty wornout, and unnecessary. :csad:

M.E.H.Z.E.B, Muslim Works is not an organization that is affiliated with or shares the views and beliefs of the Nation of Islam.

We only promote the religion of Al-Islam along with a better understanding of it for both Muslims and non-Muslims.

Peace,

R. Khalil

I find that all problems can be solve by simply singing the Speed Racer theme song, over and over and over again.

Muslim Works said:
M.E.H.Z.E.B, Muslim Works is not an organization that is affiliated with or shares the views and beliefs of the Nation of Islam.

We only promote the religion of Al-Islam along with a better understanding of it for both Muslims and non-Muslims.

Peace,

R. Khalil

I admire your efforts, and your goal seems admirable. But, people around here aren't exactly looking for enlightenment regarding Islam. You're new here, so, I'll make it clear for you. I've been here for the past six years. Any thread, which is opened in SHH! which consists of the term "Islam" or "Muslim" or "Muhammed" (pbuh), is immediately followed by 9/11, terrorism, and a whole lot of insults and name-calling. It's a fact. Atleast one person has to swoop in, in every thread, and make some sort of derogatory remarks about the religion itself, or the followers. Therefore, I strongly advise you to back off, and go somewhere, where there is a lower level of abuse.

Peace.

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
I admire your efforts, and your goal seems admirable. But, people around here aren't exactly looking for enlightenment regarding Islam. You're new here, so, I'll make it clear for you. I've been here for the past six years. Any thread, which is opened in SHH! which consists of the term "Islam" or "Muslim" or "Muhammed" (pbuh), is immediately followed by 9/11, terrorism, and a whole lot of insults and name-calling. It's a fact. Atleast one person has to swoop in, in every thread, and make some sort of derogatory remarks about the religion itself, or the followers. Therefore, I strongly advise you to back off, and go somewhere, where there is a lower level of abuse.

Peace.

Same thing happens with Christianity and Judaism, but strangely Buddaism remains free of insults. :huh:

Mr. Smash'n Bash said:
Same thing happens with Christianity and Judaism, but strangely Buddaism remains free of insults. :huh:

Buddhism is probably the most un-abused religion in the world. Those monks can do wonders if, and when they reach the state of nirvana. I have a lot of respect for those guys, simply because, they believe in eternal peace. That's why, trekking the Himalayas are so interesting. :yay:

We have these buddist monks here in Atlanta, Georgia that go to important places and make these kick ass sand paintings. They always erase them when they're done though. :(

Mr. Smash'n Bash said:
We have these buddist monks here in Atlanta, Georgia that go to important places and make these kick ass sand paintings. They always erase them when they're done though. :(

I never understood that. But I guess it's part of their tradition/belief, so, all we can do is respect them, and move on. :csad:

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:

Peace.
Ridiculous.
In my case as well, there has never, I repeat NEVER, been a thread regarding my strongly held personal beliefs where the majority of the posters didn't "swoop in" and just outright ridicule, name-call and make false accusations and snide comments, with a small minority who'll actually discuss things in a civil fashion.

I do not think that is reason to "back off", or "go somewhere else, where there is a lower level of abuse". :huh:

This is the freaking internet, where people talk, back and forth, people from all over the world, all types of people....crossdressers, Seventh Day Adventists, Atheists, gay people, straight people, people who think Superman's "S" was too small in the movie, people who think it was just the right size.

You have to learn to co-exist and learn to calm down and gain some perspective instead of running and hiding.

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:

Peace.

M.E.H.Z.E.B, thanks for the suggestions and the concern. Religious mockery isn't anything new and should never be enough to stop a person or a community from doing what they felt is best and right if they have any strong convictions for their beliefs.

I'm fully aware of the environment of SHH and if you are familar with the mission of Mohammed and the other prophets of God you will know that the derogatory comments here don't begin to compare to what they had to endure.

Also, even if the masses of the Hype may not be open to enlightenment, you may be surprised by the effects that knowledge can have on even a few people.

We would like just to share information and let readers come to their own conclusions.

Peace

i just find it odd that an organization like Muslim Works decided "we need to promote more unity and understanding; where should we begin? where....where....where would we have th most impact on society....hmmn....AHA! SUPERHEROHYPE! We have found the best place. Truly now it will only be a matter of time before Shangrila greets this worlds borders with open arms."

:huh:

i mean no offense, but

Muslim Works said:
M.E.H.Z.E.B, thanks for the suggestions and the concern. Religious mockery isn't anything new and should never be enough to stop a person or a community from doing what they felt is best and right if they have any strong convictions for their beliefs.

I'm fully aware of the environment of SHH and if you are familar with the mission of Mohammed and the other prophets of God you will know that the derogatory comments here don't begin to compare to what they had to endure.

Also, while the masses of the Hype may not be open to enlightenment, you may be surprised by the effects that knowledge can have on even a few people.

Peace

Understood. :)

Well, also, people are going to be way more receptive to a personal exchange with a person as opposed to 20 pages of copy/pasted text.

Posting that much text is gauche.
It's much cooler to say, "Here's a good read." and then provide a link.
You just look like a mindless, obedient propaganda-bot when you make a thread like this.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
You just look like a mindless, obedient propaganda-bot when you make a thread like this.

It wouldnt kill you to be a wee bit more sensitive... ;)

maxwell's demon said:
i just find it odd that an organization like Muslim Works decided "we need to promote more unity and understanding; where should we begin? where....where....where would we have th most impact on society....hmmn....AHA! SUPERHEROHYPE! We have found the best place. Truly now it will only be a matter of time before Shangrila greets this worlds borders with open arms."

:huh:

i mean no offense, but

Maxwell's demon, Muslim Works didn't begin its mission here on the Hype, but works towards our goal anywhere and everywhere we can communicate with people. Of course, we may wait before posting on www.skinheads.com.

By the way, who is this Shangria? :huh:

Peace,

R. Khalil

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Well, also, people are going to be way more receptive to a personal exchange with a person as opposed to 20 pages of copy/pasted text.

Posting that much text is gauche.
It's much cooler to say, "Here's a good read." and then provide a link.

Wihelm-Scream, thanks for the tip. That is a good and reasonable suggestion. It would also help me avoid the effects of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Peace,

R. Khalil

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
It wouldnt kill you to be a wee bit more sensitive... ;)
It wouldn't kill people to be less quick to take offense.

Obviously I mention "LOOKING like a M.O.P-B." because the poster probably is not one, so it would be too bad if that's the impression he gives.

...huge difference between saying "doing so-and-so makes you look like an ass****." AND saying, "You ARE an ass****."

But people don't want to be bothered with actually reading words, they want to get pissed off and hurt and feel like indignant victims.

Anyway, yes, I would physically die if I was any more sensitive.

Muslim Works said:
Maxwell's demon, Muslim Works didn't begin its mission here on the Hype, but works towards our goal anywhere and everywhere we can communicate with people. Of course, we may wait before posting on www.skinheads.com.

By the way, who is this Shangria? :huh:

Peace,

R. Khalil

Shangri-La is a fictional place described in the 1933 novel Lost Horizon by British author James Hilton. In the book, "Shangri-La" is a mystical, harmonious valley, gently guided from a lamasery, enclosed in the western end of the Himalaya. Shangri-La has become synonymous with any earthly paradise but particularly a mythical Himalayan utopia — a permanently happy land, isolated from the outside world. The word also evokes the imagery of exoticism of the Orient. The story of Shangri-La is based on the concept of Shambhala, a mystical city in Tibetan Buddhist tradition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"